• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY regional dinner

yvonne johnson

The London lot have done it.  The NJ and Pacific North West lots have done it. Here we are in this city--that some (misguided souls) claim is the gastronomic capital of the world--and we’ve not yet done it. Have a regional dinner that’s what.

Mr. Shaw, what about it? We demand a NY dinner.

Given the palaver involved in getting a simple NY pub-crawl going--what is it with New Yorkers? Anyway….

May I propose a dinner on February 15, 2005, 9PM. Yes, three years hence. Given the generous notice, just maybe, us NY eGulletarians might be able to plan a dinner.

Already I hear...."Can we make it Feb 16, 2005"? "An earlier sitting would suit".

I think it's just easier for people in the hinterland (London, New Jersey, etc.), who have very little to do in general, to plan things like this.

Still, if one person or a small committee is willing to take charge of making the arrangements, I'll be happy to attend, bearing in mind that I'll be traveling most of April and May.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

And those of us who live in Jersey, but work in NYC have divided loyalties!!!  Heck, I even grew up in NY.

The key to getting this done is for Steven to appoint the head of the dinner committee, or for him to approve a volunteer. Somebody has to be in the position to make a decision, so that arguments over scheduling and venue don't take over.  This should be a rotating responsibility, and everyone except tommy should be eligible.

I also exclude myself, because I've had too much input on the two NJ eGullet dinners.  Plus, I'd route us to a spicy ethnic joint every single time.  We need new blood.  :D

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

There's nothing wrong with spicy ethnic places.  If we got enough people together at Grand Sichuan, we could order twenty or thirty portions of kung pao chicken (with fresh chicken, of course).

Actually, dinner at Sripraphai might be fun.  Especially for those who ordinarily venture into Queens only reluctantly, it might afford a one-time opportunity to sample widely of their menu.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

There's nothing wrong with spicy ethnic places.  If we got enough people together at Grand Sichuan, we could order twenty or thirty portions of kung pao chicken (with fresh chicken, of course).

Actually, dinner at Sripraphai might be fun.  Especially for those who ordinarily venture into Queens only reluctantly, it might afford a one-time opportunity to sample widely of their menu.

Grand Sichuan is more or less a standby for me, though a really good one. Because Sripraphai is in Woodside, about a 50-minute subway ride from my apartment, I've been there only once. I'd welcome a return trip.

Michael aka "Pan"

Okay, I appoint Plotnicki.

Oh, bad mistake!!!  I just met Plotnicki at the London eGullet  ;)  This guy has ludicrously expensive taste in champagne, orders falafel and kebab like world famine is going to set in tomorrow, and turns out to be a likeable, pleasant, chatty, interesting conversationalist. Not at all the sort of person to organize a dinner for New Yorkers  :(

So I volunteer. Only a Brit with the sensitivities of a Marine Drill Sergeant, the willingness to screw up totally and not care a damn, and a domicile at least 2,500 miles from all the participants could get this job done.

I am honored and humbled by the trust you are about to place in me :humblesmiley:

I suggested to steven that we hold it at Bid, the restaurant located in Southeby's -- the chef is a friend of Steven's and the former sous at Gramercy Tavern. I had his cooking at New Years and it is phenomenal.

I suggested he do a VERY special tasting dinner for us in June, but we ain't gettin off cheap fellas, probably close to $100 a head.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I suggested to steven that we hold it at Bid, the restaurant located in Southeby's -- the chef is a friend of Steven's and the former sous at Gramercy Tavern. I had his cooking at New Years and it is phenomenal.

I suggested he do a VERY special tasting dinner for us in June, but we ain't gettin off cheap fellas, probably close to $100 a head.

sounds perfect to me.  i was going to suggest that we do something really good a few posts back, but chickened out and said something like "the possibilities are endless," hoping that someone would say "hey, lets take over nobu on night!"

Something at the James Beard Society, perhaps!

For me the location can't be beat and we can present ourselves as a serious gastronomic group- we are aren't we?

No Grand Sichuan.  The first Manhattan Chowhound dinner was held there.  (Thats where Aaron and I met)

Eating at Sotheby's?  I'm sure the prices are price-fixed and the art is commodified.

Quite a few people contributing to this thread are meeting up tomorrow night. If conversation on topics unrelated to eGullet dries up (I doubt it), we could maybe put on our thinking-berets & speak about forming a committee that will plan a dinner for this glorious region. Come to think of it, whoever suggests this will be a real party pooper. Stop blethering, enough of committees--go get that other round.

Why don't you have your NYC eGullet dinner in NJ. We have great BYO restaurants! :wow: AND--parking is free.

"Parking"? What's that? Do you use those funny things called "cars" to locomote? What strange aliens you are! :-)

Nope. Wherever the get-together is held ought to be accessible by good old MTA Subway, thank you very much. :-)

Michael aka "Pan"

Then either someone else is paying for me, or you can count me out. :-)

Michael aka "Pan"

At the pub crawl it was suggested that we have an egullet Manhattan dinner at Les Halles downtown.  How does that sound to you folks?

I just can't wait to have a couple of buckets of offal (pronounced awful, as I learned last night). :raz:

Maybe Tony Bourdain would like to join us.  After all, he did post to you-know-where any number of times.  I hope he has returned from wherever in the world he is presently eating and writing.  Does he cook anymore?

So, what do you say?

Yes, Bid sounds like a great idea.  We should be able to get some nice treatment there

I just read Rail Paul's review of his dinner at Bid. $170 for two people. At that price, you'd _BETTER_ get nice treatment!

Are you folks really intent on pricing me out by a factor of 3 or more? Isn't it possible to arrange a get-together someplace that'll cost $30 or less? If you really insist on haute cuisine, perhaps lunch might keep it around $35 + tax and tip? Well, think about it. I'd enjoy meeting you all, but if you price me out, I'm not coming.

Michael aka "Pan"

Are you folks really intent on pricing me out by a factor of 3 or more? Isn't it possible to arrange a get-together someplace that'll cost $30 or less? If you really insist on haute cuisine, perhaps lunch might keep it around $35 + tax and tip? Well, think about it. I'd enjoy meeting you all, but if you price me out, I'm not coming.

some place with a prix fixe would be ideal.  cite would be great, but it's pricey and the menu is limited.  the inclusive wine is fantastic though, since eveyone pays the same price regardless of how much of a lush he or she is.