• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY regional dinner

yvonne johnson

Are you folks really intent on pricing me out by a factor of 3 or more? Isn't it possible to arrange a get-together someplace that'll cost $30 or less? If you really insist on haute cuisine, perhaps lunch might keep it around $35 + tax and tip? Well, think about it. I'd enjoy meeting you all, but if you price me out, I'm not coming.

Well, if you can get to New Jersey somehow, the next eGullet gathering there is going to be in that price range.

Then again, the NJ group decided (informally, of course) to go in the reverse direction--we're slowly building up to haute cuisine.  In fact, a few of us were counting on the NY faction to bring us up a level or two a bit early.  :biggrin:

Joking aside, don't despair.  I think that these gatherings can include the whole range.  Some will be expensive, some won't--just like some good food is expensive and some isn't.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I'd be game for Les Halles, but the original location seems to have gotten better reviews than the downtown one.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

This price thing is tricky.  I don't wish to exclude anyone, but we have to recognise that Les Halles, which I would indeed describe as moderate, is going to cost way more than $30/$35 if we have three courses and anyone drinks anything.

Tommy does have a good point in that a restaurant with a wine deal like Cite is going to avoid agonising about who drank how much of what.  Are there any others like that?  I know The Leopard has a similar deal, but I've never been there and hear it's a bit old and fusty.

Tommy does have a good point in that a restaurant with a wine deal like Cite is going to avoid agonising about who drank how much of what.  Are there any others like that?  I know The Leopard has a similar deal, but I've never been there and hear it's a bit old and fusty.

i was thinking about this again this morning.  it seems like a very bad idea for a group of people to go to a place where drinks are separate.  not only will those who don't drink very much agonize over it, but those who do will as well.  it adds undo stress and could easily end up being very unfair financially to a good portion of the group (drinkers or not!)  

i can say that i would feel much more comfortable if i didn't have to worry about how much i drink, and nobody else had to worry about it either.  i'd imagine that sentiment is shared?

I am with you Tommy.  Worrying about how much I drink does not come naturally to me, and the strain might furrow my otherwise flawless face.  But NJ and London must have faced this issue.  How did they cope?

nj was all inclusive.  and it was loads of fun.

edit:

we could also consider a BYO, which would be the most cost effective for everyone involved.  obviously there aren't all that many in NYC, but i know of at least one and i'm sure others do as well.  is there a list somewhere like zagat's for BYOs??

Tommy does have a good point in that a restaurant with a wine deal like Cite is going to avoid agonising about who drank how much of what.  Are there any others like that?  

I don't know about wine deals, but if I recall correctly, Cite validates parking at the Hippodrome garage nearby.

I'd like to try Les Halles.

unfortunately, even with "wine deals" like Cite, the price of the wine is somewhat built in.  if you don't drink (although i'm sure just about all of us would have some alcohol) then you're paying for something that you're not getting.  but, and this is the important part, everyone knows going in how much the bill will be, give or take.

That's why I made sure that not only the wine & sangria were included in our Spanish dinner, but all the soft drinks were too. If you didn't want the wine, you could have Brazilian sodas. :)

18.jpg

That's an Brazilian orange soda jhlurie's drinking, he reported that it is better than orangina.

The upcoming Chinese dinner is BYO (more normal American soda, like Coke), but the soft drinks are included. I checked on Zagat.com. If you are searching in NJ, you can select BYO as a category, that option is not available for New York City! There's got to be some BYOs in Manhattan.

I think I made a similar statement to this before... so I apologize for repeating myself.

The NY dinner crowd shouldn't worry SO MUCH about how expensive the dinner is.  They should make a concerted effort to make sure that EVERY eGullet dinner isn't equally as expensive (and in fact it is a good idea to start off the first dinner with an a more affordable option), but I feel strongly that it would be to the detriment of the community if this issue isn't settled now.  Some dinners will be affordable and some not.  Nobody should be offended if someone chooses to not show up at a dinner in either financial "direction", and the dinners should be often enough to satisfy both crowds.

Wine is obviously a big issue.  I, for example, am at best a casual drinker.  But some people really consider it an essential part of the meal.  Satisfying both extremes is obviously the challenge.

Just my 2 cents...

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Quote (Rosie @ Feb. 26 2002,08:42)

You can choose a house wine that is inexpensive and figure on 1/2 bottle per

person and 2 bottles for Tommy.

OK--One bottle for each person and 3 for Tommy.  :biggrin:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

My two cents: no thanks to Les Halles, for it's inexcusable cramming of tables, and let's remember, there are a few vegetarians in the mix. And if you want to help a downtown restaurant, help one that was there in September to help others - Pinxtos, Pico, Chanterelle, Tribeca Grill, Yaffa's - all contributed mightily.

I'd go with Pinxtos - authentic Basque cuisine, at reasonable prices, and tiny enough that we could probably reserve the whole place for an evening. Some fascinating Basque wines, as well.

I emphatically agree with jhlurie that if this is to become a regular thing, we'll have some dinners that all users can afford and some that are going to be towards the luxury end of things -- that's a fair representation of the site and I don't see any way around it. I suggest planning one of each for now. My suggestion for a budget dinner would Sripraphai (Thai) in Woodside, Queens. I'm fairly certain there's a separate area there that can be claimed by a large group and we could no doubt have a feast for a reasonable per-person price. We'd have to discuss the beverage situation -- I believe the restaurant it BYO for alcohol. That's just a suggestion -- you all should plan whatever you like. And then I think we should plan something at Bid or another luxury place. I can have some influence regarding our Bid experience, because the chef is a friend, but we could easily do it at any of a number of other places too.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Pintxos

510 Greenwich Street (at Spring)

343-9923

The name means "pinch of food". Sort of like tapas but particular to the Basque region of Spain. Someone bug B Edulis, as she knows more than I do about this place, though I've enjoyed the food and wine quite a bit.

that's a fair representation of the site and I don't see any way around it.

It also embraces the concept that good food happens at all levels.  It's what seperates us from "real food snobs", but also puts us at a distance from the other extreme (the people who pooh-pooh all forms and manner of foodie-ism as something unpleasant or elitist).

A rare complement to Fat Guy--a site like Fat-guy.com embraces this concept by having reviews at all levels.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I am currently agreeing with the last several posts.  I can't find listings for Pinxtos in Zagat or on City Search, although there's a thread on Chowhound.  Does Manhattan have advantages over Queens?  I am not sure if there's a preponderance of Manhattanites among likely attendees.

I still like the idea of a blow-out at Bid as well.