• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raw potatoes

Mudpuppie

Harkening back to the pork/veal debacle, many Chinese restaurants (don't ask me for names...but MANY) use raw potato in lieu of water chestnuts in their dishes. Cheaper...as if I needed to add that. :cool: To each his own...but to me eating raw potatoes screams "PICA!!" LOL :unsure: I have never heard, however that they are poison. You have to eat a lot of green tinged potato to become ill. We were taught in culinary school that the green part has a chemical structure akin to nerve gas! :wacko:

Harkening back to the pork/veal debacle, many Chinese restaurants (don't ask me for names...but MANY) use raw potato in lieu of water chestnuts in their dishes.  Cheaper...as if I needed to add that.  :cool:  To each his own...but to me eating raw potatoes screams "PICA!!" LOL  :unsure:  I have never heard, however that they are poison.  You have to eat a lot of green tinged potato to become ill.  We were taught in culinary school that the green part has a chemical structure akin to nerve gas!  :wacko:

Mmmm... nerve gas...

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

My wife loves raw potatoes. I've tried it. Certainly edible, may have some little explored culinary potential, but nothing exciting in and of itself in my opinion.

edited for spelling

Edited by donk79 (log)

My reaction is that I'm amazed anyone eats raw potatoes. They'd be on my Culinary Axis of Evil, except that I'd imagine more people intentionally eat ants. :wacko:

(They are horrible, too, but I've never eaten them on purpose.)

Michael aka "Pan"

When potatoes have a green tinge under the skin it must be peeled off. Solanin is the toxin that is produced as a result of potato 'sunburn'. Not sure how poisonous it is. Also, I'm no scientist, so somebody else tell me I'm right.

I was in a grocery store the only time I ever saw someone eat a raw potato. It was the checker and he was snacking on a russet as I was coming through the line.

'Paper or plastic?'

'Is that a potato?'

'Yeah, they're great. Crunchy, healthy...'

'Paper.'

If you worked in a grocery store would you pick a goddamned raw potato to eat on the run? What about the fucking snack aisle for chrissakes? It's right there...

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

The green tinge is definitely poisonous. It must be removed completely if you must eat the potato. If possible, find one without the green tinge. I understand potatoes were once cultivated as houseplants and prized for their decorative flowers. Best to bury the green tinged ones.

On the other hand, old potatoes ones that are not yet ancient enough to have turned green yet, are very good for making duchesse, the grandmother of the tater tot. They can be carved into pretty almond shapes, puff out nicely and produce a nice light result with a golden crust. Moreover they look respectable on the plate next to a tourenado.

- Lucy

Salted raw potato has a wonderful texture and I always eat some when I am cutting them up. Now I am wondering why you don't see it served intentionally?

I like raw sweet potato, too.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Salted raw potato has a wonderful texture and I always eat some when I am cutting them up. Now I am wondering why you don't see it served intentionally?

I think if I served my guests raw potatah salad, they'd lock me up. :shock: But if the raw tater lovers in this thread really love them that much, why NOT cube some up and toss them with a vinaigrette? Overkill?

I remember seeing in an old biology textbook that a raw potato is only about 15% digestible. It's not exactly my thing, but as long as it's not green it probably wouldn't hurt you.

jariggs,

I set out to debunk you, but in the end I can't really tell if the 15% is true or not. Found an interesting link about how much nutrition is available in a raw potato, though: http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/Jun20...50086.Bc.r.html

amanda

Googlista

I think if I served my guests raw potatah salad, they'd lock me up. :shock: But if the raw tater lovers in this thread really love them that much, why NOT cube some up and toss them with a vinaigrette? Overkill?

I am thinking more like what I do with jicama a lot. Spritz fresh lime juice on jicama slices and sprinkle with ancho chile powder... or some such thing... a flavored vinegar and herbs, maybe.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Not that anyone asked me (oh wait -- you did), but the idea of eating a raw potato is freaking me out!

That said, I have seen some fairly weird practices in my own family. My mother and her mother and sisters used to eat oranges and even lemons whole -- rind, seeds and everything!

Cheers,

Squeat

I remember seeing in an old biology textbook that a raw potato is only about 15% digestible. It's not exactly my thing, but as long as it's not green it probably wouldn't hurt you.

jariggs,

I set out to debunk you, but in the end I can't really tell if the 15% is true or not. Found an interesting link about how much nutrition is available in a raw potato, though: http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/Jun20...50086.Bc.r.html

FWIW, raw potato starch is not digestible by humans.

--

slkinsey is correct. A lot of raw plant matter is like that. But raw potato is just a snack with a nice crunch and should be investigated as a vehicle for eating other lovely things... aioli maybe?

Kinda makes you wonder about the raw food movement.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

jariggs,

FWIW, raw potato starch is not digestible by humans.

That could be a good thing. So how many digestible calories does a raw potato have? Maybe it's a good snack item instead of the fried potato chips you could eat raw potato chips. Atkin's friendly potatoes the natural way.