• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raw potatoes

Mudpuppie

I remember seeing in an old biology textbook that a raw potato is only about 15% digestible. It's not exactly my thing, but as long as it's not green it probably wouldn't hurt you.

jariggs,

I set out to debunk you, but in the end I can't really tell if the 15% is true or not. Found an interesting link about how much nutrition is available in a raw potato, though: http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/Jun20...50086.Bc.r.html

FWIW, raw potato starch is not digestible by humans.

That could be a good thing. So how many digestible calories does a raw potato have?

Yes, I imagine it could be a good thing from a weight-control standpoint (although I might be concerned that some gut bacteria would start fermenting the stuff with the expected results). I was mostly speaking to jariggs' assertion that raw potato is only 15% digestible -- which figure seems reasonable to me.

--

Yes, I imagine it could be a good thing from a weight-control standpoint (although I might be concerned that some gut bacteria would start fermenting the stuff with the expected results). I was mostly speaking to jariggs' assertion that raw potato is only 15% digestible -- which figure seems reasonable to me.

Maybe you'd start pissing potato vodka.

I adore raw potato with a little salt but not out of hand like an apple, just a few slices as the cook's treat.

As far as indigestible - what about the whole fiber thing? There should be a website keepitmoving.com. :biggrin:

Or, borrowing from the classic SNL/Phil Hartman commercial: colonblow.com.  Oh wait, there is:

http://colonblow.com/

Ugh.

I don't recommend clicking on the links to pictures. :laugh:

Back to raw potatoes -- I've never noticed any odd intestinal effects. But then, as Betts said, I don't eat them out of hand.

Edited by Mudpuppie (log)

amanda

Googlista