• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grinders, submarines, heroes, hoagies

ludja

Also found a few other terms in my search: Dagwoods (forgot about those), Torpedos and Rockets!

click

Guess we could also add Po'boys !

That article states that the pronunciation of "Po' Boys" is "poo-boys" which I would think is incorrect. Being a derivative of "poor boys", I would think the " Po' " would be more like "poh", which sounds more like a southern affectation.

As for their description of a submarine sandwich, that may be how a submarine sandwich started out but today it has evolved into something much more generic. Today a submarine sandwich is a long roll with any type of deli meat/lunch meat & cheeses in it, along with lettuce, tomato and onion topped with an Italian dressing or just vinegar and oil. It's a cold sandwich meaning the bread isn't toasted nor is the meat heated.

As a kid growing up in a town with a submarine base, I didn't think twice about the sandwich of the same name. I always figured it was named so because the roll is usually long and round like a submarine. Who knew? :smile:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Related: Recently had a great cherry pepper snack/antipasto at Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia: roasted cherry peppers stuffed w/proscuitto and mozzarella.  A little grinder with out the hoagie...  :smile:

???A hoagie popper???

(see Holly, I'm being careful in all Philly references....)

Heh, hoagie popper, nice!

We just call them stuffed cherry peppers, is all. I love them things. Maybe I'll stop and pick a few up on my way home tonight.

Also found a few other terms in my search: Dagwoods (forgot about those), Torpedos and Rockets!

click

That article states that the pronunciation of "Po' Boys" is "poo-boys" which I would think is incorrect. Being a derivative of "poor boys", I would think the " Po' " would be more like "poh", which sounds more like a southern affectation.

I hope someone from Crescent City can clear this up.

I've always kind of paw-pawed around so to speak when it came to pronouncing 'Po'boys'.

I kind of start saying 'poe' or 'poh' and then get kind of scared and try to turn it back into 'poor' and it comes out really lame. :unsure:

Help! Proper pronunciation on 'Po'boys' needed.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

click

I hope someone from Crescent City can clear this up.

I've always kind of paw-pawed around so to speak when it came to pronouncing 'Po'boys'.

I kind of start saying 'poe' or 'poh' and then get kind of scared and try to turn it back into 'poor' and it comes out really lame. :unsure:

Help! Proper pronunciation on 'Po'boys' needed.

It's 'poe' boys! Say it loud and say it proud!

Back in my college days, I used to eat 'Steamers' in Gainesville Florida. Anyone else have any experience with these?

The best part of my trip to NOLA a year ago was all the fine sandwiches I had there. Muffalettas, oyster po'boys, the sublime debris sandwich: they know from sandwiches down there.

Nevertheless, my vote for Best. Sandwich. Ever. goes to the eponymous Chickie's Special at Chickie's deli in Philadelphia: sopressata, cappicola, prosciutto, aged provolone, a few vegetables for crispness, olive oil and vinegar. And Sarcone's outstanding Italian bread: wonderful.

Holly's photo of the Special, ifrom his Chickie's page:

Chick-Hoagie2.jpg

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

Recently had a great cherry pepper snack/antipasto at Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia: roasted cherry peppers stuffed w/proscuitto and mozzarella.

You sure it wasn't hard provolone? I've never seen them with mozzarella, but maybe that's how they make them in Philly. Stuffed peppers are addictive.

Recently had a great cherry pepper snack/antipasto at Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia: roasted cherry peppers stuffed w/proscuitto and mozzarella.

You sure it wasn't hard provolone? I've never seen them with mozzarella, but maybe that's how they make them in Philly. Stuffed peppers are addictive.

can't swear to it; but I'm pretty sure it was mozzarella. Provolone sounds it would be very good; more assertive flavors to match w/the rest.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

The best part of my trip to NOLA a year ago was all the fine sandwiches I had there.  Muffalettas, oyster po'boys, the sublime debris sandwich: they know from sandwiches down there.

Nevertheless, my vote for Best.  Sandwich.  Ever. goes to the eponymous Chickie's Special at Chickie's deli in Philadelphia: sopressata, cappicola, prosciutto, aged provolone, a few vegetables for crispness, olive oil and vinegar.  And Sarcone's outstanding Italian bread: wonderful.

I agree on NOLA sandwiches; have only been there once so far but sandwiches were definately a big part of the awesome food experience I had there.

The Chickie's Special looks and sounds absolutely great!

For cold grinders, subs, and hoagies my preferance really is Italian coldcuts like in this one or as people have described above. Marinated veggies or oil and vinegar go so well with. Provolone perfects the combination...

great photo!

Edited by ludja (log)

One thing that has heartened me about this thread is that for ages everyone looked at me like I had antennae growing out of my head when I talked about how much I loved the baked subs I had during my misspent youth in Pittsburgh.

I haven't been to Philly, but throughout new york state, the midwest, the south, I had not run across people who thought anything but a meatball sub or a cheesesteak should be hot.

Today for lunch I am going to a pizza place here in Rockville MD (Giuseppe's)that I was recently pointed to by an eG'er. THe place is owned by a guy who worked in one of my favorite Pgh. shops (Mineo's). They have a replica of one of my favorite sandwiches of all time (that was actually at the place next door to Mineo's called Aiello's) -- "Italian Sub". Capi, salami, ham, and provolone baked. Take it out throw on shredded lettuce, onion, and tomato. Top with some vinaigrette.

Heaven!!

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

My favorite sub was one I used to get at a deli in Las Vegas..Italian with salami, mortadella, pepperoni, provolone on a sub roll with shredded iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, pepperoncinis, and dusted with oregano then sprinkled with a red wine vinegar and olive oil. YUM!

One that I had recently at The Nugget (supermarket in Vacaville, CA) was roasted lamb, roasted red peppers, goat cheese and onion on a homemade focaccia...it was to die for!

Today for lunch I am going to a pizza place here in Rockville MD (Giuseppe's)that I was recently pointed to by an eG'er. THe place is owned by a guy who worked in one of my favorite Pgh. shops (Mineo's). They have a replica of one of my favorite sandwiches of all time (that was actually at the place next door to Mineo's called Aiello's) -- "Italian Sub". Capi, salami, ham, and provolone baked. Take it out throw on shredded lettuce, onion, and tomato. Top with some vinaigrette.

Heaven!!

Hey, I was there for lunch today too! That sandwich is the special every Friday, and it's delish. The cheesesteak is good too but a little underseasoned.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Do cuban sandwiches count? Slow-roasted pork, ham, swiss cheese and pickles pressed into pan cubano -- mmmmmmmmm!

Squeat

Yes, to paraphrase Jinmyo, anything with pork :smile:

Yeah that's what I was thinking too, when I actually read for comprehension instead of just replying automatically without actually reading what the post said. Usually they're aged provolone and prosciutto.

Edited to say that Andrew is right about the Chickie's special.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

Do cuban sandwiches count? Slow-roasted pork, ham, swiss cheese and pickles pressed into pan cubano -- mmmmmmmmm!

Squeat

Yes, to paraphrase Jinmyo, anything with pork :smile:

Yup, the pig makes it good. Along these lines, don't neglect Mexican-style tortas. Especially those that include avocado. (Which reminds me: avocado and hard salami sandwiches? Heaven.)

Yup, the pig makes it good.  Along these lines, don't neglect Mexican-style tortas.  Especially those that include avocado.

Oh God, yes! Tortas are awesome.

If you ever go to San Diego, find the nearest La Torta. The Cass Street location (in Pacific Beach) is the best.

Check out the Tortas menu (35 kinds!). They also have this chipotle mayo that rocks, especially when you dip their beer batter onion rings in it. :wub:

Great. Now I'm hungry. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 12 years later...

NO...NO...NO..........

Nice sandwich but NOT a grinder.  If you had warmed your meat, put the slaw on the bottom. added some banana peppers then the cheese and run it under the broiler it would be closer to a grinder.  Sub, sandwich but.....

We grew up on the east end of Long Island and would go to Tony's at least once a month in Sag Harbor for lunch or dinner.  Many times Pop and I would share a grinder.  Maria(Tony's wife) would warm whichever meats we wanted on a salamander, lightly toast a long Italian roll, then start building.  She never cut all the way through the roll and popped it under the broiler for a minute or two to firm up the bread a bit.  She drizzled both sides with an olive oil vinaigrette, light on the vinegar, with oregano,  the meats on both sides(usually some capicola and ham), peppers - sweet red and spicy, then sharp Provolone.  Under the broiler to melt then flipped and cut into 4 pieces............

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

FWIW, where I grew up — rural north-central Pennsylvania — a broiled/toasted sub/hoagie is called a "cosmo."

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

18 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

NO...NO...NO..........

Nice sandwich but NOT a grinder.  If you had warmed your meat, put the slaw on the bottom. added some banana peppers then the cheese and run it under the broiler it would be closer to a grinder.  Sub, sandwich but.....

We grew up on the east end of Long Island and would go to Tony's at least once a month in Sag Harbor for lunch or dinner.  Many times Pop and I would share a grinder.  Maria(Tony's wife) would warm whichever meats we wanted on a salamander, lightly toast a long Italian roll, then start building.  She never cut all the way through the roll and popped it under the broiler for a minute or two to firm up the bread a bit.  She drizzled both sides with an olive oil vinaigrette, light on the vinegar, with oregano,  the meats on both sides(usually some capicola and ham), peppers - sweet red and spicy, then sharp Provolone.  Under the broiler to melt then flipped and cut into 4 pieces............

Where I grew up, in the small coastal towns of Stonington, Mystic and Groton, CT, that would be a "toasted Italian combo grinder".

The one I made would be what you would get if you ordered a "regular salami grinder".

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)

8 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Where I grew up, in the small coastal towns of Stonington, Mystic and Groton, CT, that would be a "toasted Italian combo grinder".

The one I made would be what you would get if you ordered a "regular salami grinder".

HC

OK    ain't semantics great

and isn't it interesting how a few miles of water can change what we call something (Shelter Island NY to CT ...linked by the Cross Sound Ferry from Orient that my mom cooked on during the summer)

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

12 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

OK    ain't semantics great

and isn't it interesting how a few miles of water can change what we call something (Shelter Island NY to CT ...linked by the Cross Sound Ferry from Orient that my mom cooked on during the summer)

My grandmother lived in Mattituck, LI and we took may a trip on the Cross Sound Ferry from Groton to Orient Point and yes it is both true and interesting how a little ways down the road can change what things are called.

HC

• Like 1