• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Favorite Teas

jat

mike petro sells good pu-ehr

:cool: Thanks for the recognition but I do not "sell" tea. I am just an enthusiast who put up a webpage. I buy a lot, give away a lot, trade some, and stash away a lot as a future investment, but I dont sell it (at least not yet, maybe when I retire though).

Mike Petro

My hobby website:

Pu-erh, A Westerner's Quest

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know about you folks, but I prefer to make my own tea's

Granted they do not contain "TEA" persay, however, they are all natural, mostly all products organically grown at home, and best of all, no caffiene!

Some blends we enjoy (all served with unpasturized honey):

-Lemon verbina/ginger

-Lemon Grass/lemon rind/spearmint

-spearmint/peppermint/ginger

And always trying out new combinations.

This is perfect weather for a discussion about tea.

Current favorite is Dragon Eye Ooling from Revolution Teas.

At the office, I drink Constant Comment from Bigelow, although I'm sure some on this list wouldn't approve... :biggrin:

In summer, I like iced Earl Grey with sandwiches.

• 1 month later...

Hi All, i've been lurking anonymously for a while, but maybe you can help identify my short-time favorite. I recently received a mix of delicious teas from goldenteahouse.com that included an extra sample-sized package of 'Bai Sui Xiang' and it is out of this world! The problem is that they don't even have it selling on their website and the only information I have is that it is a tea from Wu Yi Mountain. ?? I'm waiting for more details from them. Have any of you tried it?

The color is light amber-green and it smells so fragrant that I would imagine it is scented with something. It is absolutely delicious and I fear that I will run out very soon.

Hi All, i've been lurking anonymously for a while, but maybe you can help identify my short-time favorite. I recently received a mix of delicious teas from goldenteahouse.com that included an extra sample-sized package of 'Bai Sui Xiang' and it is out of this world! The problem is that they don't even have it selling on their website and the only information I have is that it is a tea from Wu Yi Mountain. ?? I'm waiting for more details from them. Have any of you tried it?

The color is light amber-green and it smells so fragrant that I would imagine it is scented with something. It is absolutely delicious and I fear that I will run out very soon.

i think it is a wuyi oolong type of tea-many companies sell this type of tea-

• 2 weeks later...

O, and my favorite goes between one specific ShuiJinGui (WuYi Mountain again) that I have had for a while -- but only 50g left, and a really fancy TaiPingHouKui that I brought back from HuangShan in Anhui province. The leaves TaiPingHouKui are ALL 11cm long. But not all are same! These are bound with white rope , for instance

It is very interesting for me seeing if special teas like WuYi Mountain Ooolongs can be purchase in USA. But good quality! My friends in the tea trade here says that no market for quality WuYi style tea outside of China yet. So he sells to teashops and tearooms the lowest quality ShuiXian or DaHongPao that Chinese wont drink!

Rarely drink tea simply for enjoyment, but will drink it when under the weather (like today). Have tried an number of teas from Intelligentsia (where we get our coffee) and find their Organic 333 (rosehips and chamomile) and Iron Goddess of Mercy (oolong) blends to be satisfying.

Have also been experimenting a lot with mate. It's certainly an acquired taste, but it does seem to have some interesting properties, specifically energy boosting-wise.

Rich Westerfield

Mt. Lebanon, PA

Drinking great coffee makes you a better lover.

There is no scientific data to support this conclusion, but try to prove otherwise. Go on. Try it. Right now.

Kou Rou you are welcome to send whichever teas the Chinese won't drink over to me. :)

While I am making my way these days towards the finer (and more expensive!) teas, I still have lingering desire every once in a while for a good cup of regular jasmine tea or earlgrey.

I will also have to inquire about Shuijingui and taipinghoukou that you mentioned. They do sound interesting. Can you show us some photos somehow? Where are you from in China?

• 5 years later...

When it's colder and greater I drink more earthy puerhs or deeply roasted oblongs. But the temperature that matters is my own chill, so I drink plenty of puerhs in overly air-conditioned offices in the summertime, and light greens in the winter when things are cozily warm. And sencha in the morning is good year-round.

My preferred winter drinks aren't even technically teas (ie not Camellia sinensis) - they're the caffeine-bearing hollies instead. To wit, when I'm cold, I don't want even the very best white (which is my preferred tea). I want either Hierba Mate (Ilex paraguariensis) or Guayusa (Ilex guayusa).

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I'm a fan of the pretty red dried-fruit tisanes around Christmas... As for actual teas, I'm a fan of the richer puehrs, yunnans and assams when the weather is on my mind... though when tea is on my mind rather than the weather, I'll throw some pouching leaves into the pot and resteep them all day.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Earl Grey, White, Green, and Jasmine are the teas I stick to no matter what season!

If you are new to tea drinking on the daily, I would definitely recommend trying out Earl Grey.

It's definitely a classic and what I believe to be everybody's first or one of the first cups of tea. It is a bit bitter, but more neutral and slightly fragrant.

As for the other teas I mentioned: White, Green, and Jasmine - They have a more Asian-tea quality with light tastes that you should try!

I try out any tea that sounds nice and recommend everyone to explore the world of tea drinking! :smile:

I have never been able to enjoy Earl Grey, but fortunately that leaves more for these who do enjoy it. It smells lovely, but like coffee, for me the flavor is too bitter to enjoy.

But tonight I'm enjoying a young sheng puerh--a sample of 2010 Lao Ban Pen from Norbu, a tea that can be quite horribly bitter if brewed to be, or mellow and herbaceous and sweet as I'm enjoying it tonight. Recently I was enjoying a very similar puerh when I discover that a nearby colleague also liked tea. I offered her some, and she at first declined, saying, "puerh....that's that horribly strong bitter stuff right?" And I soon set her straight and had hr enjoying a cup of my usual rather dilute and mellow brew. Maybe someday a true Earl Grey aficionado will be able to open my eyes to a tea I've given up on....

Through the winter is pretty much the only time I drink tea , except when visiting the in-laws house .

I can imagine the shudders that will occur when some read this . I love an extra strong brewed ceylon black which I then bruise before adding copious amounts of honey and fresh lemon juice.

I will be buying some lapsang souchong star over the weekend though. I love how it tastes like drinking a campfire. Plus I want to work some of it into a bbq rub for smoked pork shoulder

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I like Masala Tea - or Chai. It is spiced tea from India which I drink without milk or sugar and is great after a meal.

Plus I have the normal UK blended black tea. Our favourite brand is "Yorkshire Tea" which is a strong "builder's" tea best drunk with a little milk.

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker

• 2 weeks later...