• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Toast Topic

badthings

at the hawkwatch lately i have been eating open face pb&j sandwiches on toast. earlier in the season it was ham & swiss with miracle whip and before that jersey tomatoes with miracle whip.

growing up for sunday supper many times it was tea and toast soldiers.

many times it will be a blt with soup

egg salad

tuna salad

johnnybird also likes to have a breakfast of egg sammich on the weekend

and of course:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...&hl=toast++dope :biggrin:

course i know SOMEONE who needs to make some more since we're almost out :shock:

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Sliced into "soldiers" and dipped in a softly boiled egg.

Or with a quail on top, the juices tipped over the bread.

Or, memories of childhood, with tinned beans and a fried egg on top (my family is from the Northeast of England, and that is my excuse. :biggrin:

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

1. Ground Almonds

2. Beaten Egg

3. Lots of Softened Butter

4. Suger

Mix that up and throw it on a piece of good bread. Toast it up to a warm, crispy, chewy delight.

Or just slather a load of Nutella on top of some supersoft white bread and eat!

---------------------------

Hunger is the best pickle -Benjamin Franklin

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

raquel

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

We once lived in a simple farmhouse in the wine hills above Florence. There was a huge open fire and we sat around this most every evening, usually burning but shivering at the same time (there was no other heating and Tuscany in the winter can be bitter). Our regular nightly treat was simply to cut slabs of dense, unsalted Tuscan bread and toast over the open fire, then rub the scratchy bread with a cut clove of garlic, then add a drizzle of new season olio extra vergine d'oliva from the farm we lived on, a sprinkle of coarse sea salt, a twist of black pepper. If the fire was too hot, sometimes we burnt the outside of the bread almost black, but it was still soft and chewy inside: this taste of sometimes burnt unsalted bread, combined with the back-of-the-throat prickle of the vibrantly green new season olive oil, the hotness of the garlic, the crunch of the sea salt, washed down with a tumbler or two of simple Carmignano wine also from our farm, is one I still long for, impossible to reproduce without all those precise elements. Fettunta, the ultimate toast, for me the simple but genuine taste of Tuscany. Here's how we like it:

fettunta.jpg

MP

(edited to add photo by Kim Millon from Food Lover's Companion Italy)

Edited by Marco_Polo (log)

• 18 years later...

One of my earliest memories is of sitting with my parents around an open fire toasting bread over the coals using a brass toasting fork. It was about 18 inches long with swivelling head like this.

shanklin-isle-of-wight-england-brass-toasting-fire-fork-jointed-ball-moving-end-long-fork-patented-registered-design-5cee403e-600x430.jpg.434662cba5f6615f2cb8060ce156f610.jpg

That was around 70 years ago. I have no idea what happened to the fork. Last time I was in my mother's kitchen (2019) there was a Morphy Richards electric job. The coal fire disappeared decades ago. I have an anonymous Chinese toaster which cost next to nothing. I don’t see the need to spend a lot.

However, I'd buy the fork in the link if I were in the UK. They don't ship to China. And I don't have an open fire.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 7/9/2023 at 3:54 PM, liuzhou said:

One of my earliest memories

I have similar memories of toasting over an open coal fire. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I like slightly burnt toast. I like to let this slightly burnt toast cool before i spread cold butter on it. The taste of this cold buttered slightly burnt toast is in a realm of its on. Try it sometime and post your opinion.

43 minutes ago, FeChef said:

I like slightly burnt toast. I like to let this slightly burnt toast cool before i spread cold butter on it. The taste of this cold buttered slightly burnt toast is in a realm of its on. Try it sometime and post your .

I am happy to give you my opinion without even trying it! To each his/her/their own realm. The world of toast is very inclusive. I doubt I would like your toast. I find burnt toast to be be very sad, and cold toast to be British at best and criminal at worst. However, the next time we have an accidental carbon event I'll try and remember to wait until the offending slice is cold, then butter it, and then after one bite, throw it in the trash.  Or give it to my husband who hates waste and loves a challenge. If, by some freakish stitch in time I enjoy it, I'll definitely let you know.  

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

cold toast to be British at best and criminal at worst

I don't know where all this British cold toast business is coming from. I've been British all my long life and never been served cold toast. It may be a hangover from the 1950s' bad bed-and-breakfast places, which are now stock in trade from bad sit-com writers. Or alternatively  the many motorway Services places which were always a joke.

The worst toast I've eaten was in France. That was cold.

Plain untoasted sliced sweet "bread" is often called "Toast" here in China. Of course that doesn't count as there is one thing for sure - it ain't toast.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 hours ago, FeChef said:

I like slightly burnt toast. I like to let this slightly burnt toast cool before i spread cold butter on it. The taste of this cold buttered slightly burnt toast is in a realm of its on. Try it sometime and post your opinion.

I would rather my toast be slightly burnt than what I call anemic.

Love lots of butter dripping into the crevasses. 

ToastedBaguetteAugust27th2022.thumb.jpg.7b02f8ae87de131f9afe58bc94b1c520.jpg

Hot toast,

ToastApril26th20221.thumb.jpg.8fba27a032000c07ccbf9ccc14a60326.jpg

melted butter. 

• Like 5