• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toasting or otherwise preparing nuts

Richard Danzey

9 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I agree about cracking nuts. When I was a child, our neighbour had a huge walnut tree and our family always got a 50, yes, 50 gallon drum of walnuts from them. I have cracked my last nut! I can get a  900 gram bag of pecan halves at Costco for about 16.00 Cdn. They are always fresh when I buy them and I keep them in the freezer. I always toast/roast them before using and I'm always happy with the end result.

My memories of pecans are the ones a friend sent me from Georgia which were extraordinary and the ones we bought in New Mexico which were the same.  I guess by the time the pecans get to Canada they are less than perfect...or maybe we just don't get the best ones sent up here...sort of like how the very best olive oil apparently never leaves Italy and Greece. 

Not quite so wonderful in taste and texture, but so wonderful in terms of experience, were the pecans we picked off the tree outside our favorite second-hand store in Moab, Wabi Sabi.  

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

My memories of pecans are the ones a friend sent me from Georgia which were extraordinary and the ones we bought in New Mexico which were the same.

Thanks for the reminder on Georgia pecans.  A few years ago, a friend gave me a few pounds that her MIL sent from Georgia and they were just stellar.  Very plump, about twice the size of the skinny-ish ones I end up getting in local stores, and flavorful, too.  Just tracked them down and ordered some more! 

• Like 2

Texas pecans are a special treat I stock up on when we're in the Hill Country. Expensive, but well worth it and good gifts. I'll be making a pecan pie or two this holiday season!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown