• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: tammylc - Shocking Amounts of Food

tammylc

The usual for breakfast.

So here's the story about the potatoes I was peeling last night.

Eric and I have just moved into a cohousing community. Cohousing is a form of intentional community that combines private home ownership with an enhanced community life. We know all of our neighbors, and have worked with them for a couple of years to plan what our community would look like. The inside of the neighborhood is pedestrian-only, with all the cars on the periphery, and is designed to facilitate interaction. In addition to our 3 bedroom townhouse/condo, we own 1/37th of the land and the common house. The common house is the big thing that sets cohousing aside from some other types of neighborhoods. It's designed to be an extension of your home. There's a laundry room, so not everyone has to have a washer/dryer of their own. There's a media room, if you like to watch TV occassionally, but don't want one of those either. There's a large children's play room, for those long Michigan winters. There's a guest room that's available for reservation at $5/night - our houses are relatively small, so this will make it easier to have friends and family visit. There are some offices, an exercise room, eventually a hot tub, and some other features that you wouldn't necessarily have in your own house. The centerpiece of the common house is a large kitchen and dining room (our standard dining room set up seats 64 people). The kitchen is used to prepared shared meals, up to several times a week. Community members sign up to take turns cooking and cleaning a couple times a month, and then can eat at community meals throughout the month. The cost of ingredients is divided up by the number of people attending, and gets added to your association fee at the end of the month.

Because our community is so new, our common house is still under construction. It should be finished by the end of the year. But since most of us have moved into our houses already, the cohousing community down the street has invited us to join in their common meal program while we're waiting for our common house to be finished. So last night I was off scrubbing potatoes and parsnips (turned out I just needed to clean them, not peel them) for a pot roast that someone is making tonight. I could have gone over early this afternoon to do it, but I have a busy day at work and couldn't make it early enough to the get them done by the time the roast needed to go in the oven. We'll be serving dinner for 18 adults and 6 children.

If you'd like more information about cohousing in general, you can visit www.cohousing.org. If you'd like more information about my community (Great Oak Cohousing, in Ann Arbor, MI) in particular, you can visit www.gocoho.org. And of course you can ask me questions!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I finally ate the last of the leftover veggie and tofu curry for lunch. And I snacked on trail mix this morning, but most of the peanuts are gone - I'm down to raisins, a few chocolate pieces, and lots and lots of sunflower seeds.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Your cohousing comunity sounds pretty interesting. I read a while back two books that you might be familiar with...

"Afluenza" by John De Graaf, David Wann, and Thomas Naylor

"Your money or your life" by Joe Dominguez and Vicky Robin

Although not related to housing, both books have ideas that could be implemented in your community better than in other housing environments. I know that it is not related with food, but it was the first thing that came to mind reading your post,

Anyway, have fun at dinner.

Alex

Eat dessert first! Got home from work yesterday and was starving, so I dipped into the Ben and Jerry's. Then I walked over to Sunward to help set up for dinner. The tables were already set and the potroast was bubbling away merrily in the oven and smelling like heaven. So all I had to do was finish up the coleslaw by adding cider vinegar and sugar to a big bowl of cabbage, then fill up water pitchers and put them out on the tables.

The pot roast was really good. I never make things like that at home. With just two people, it's too much work and too much food. But I spent some of my growing up years in a house with four kids, and my parents usually did a roast of some kind every Sunday. So I miss it. Although we are a family of rare meat eaters, so pot roast wasn't on our itinerary - I only got that when I went to visit my boyfriend.

Even without the rare meat, I love pot roast. The tender meat that just falls apart. The potatoes and carrots and parsnips and onions that have soaked up all of the yummy juices. Yum. For dessert there were cookies and some cake leftover from yesterday's dinner, but I had two helpings of pot roast and was very full, so I just stole a few bites of German chocolate cake from Eric's plate.

Later, back at home, Eric realized that the creme brulee he'd bought earlier this week at the new Whole Foods store was still in the fridge, so we had that. I split mine with a friend who was over, as I was still kinda full. After a few days in the fride the brulee part had been absorbed into the creme part, but it was still tasty.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Is anyone still reading, or am I just talking to myself? I have an appointment next week where I have to provide a food diary, so this exercise will not have been totally in vain, anyway.

Lunches this week have been a little atypical - I usually rely more on frozen dinners and less on leftovers. But with the mac and cheese and curry leftovers all eaten, today was back to the usual routine. I had my favorite Lean Cuisine dinner - Chicken with Basil Cream Sauce and Angel Hair pasta. Of course the chicken disks are pressed and formed white meat, and it's low fat so you know the "basil cream sauce" has never seen cream in it's life, but as far as frozen dinners go, it's a good one.

But I redeemed myself after lunch. A coworker was going over to Zingerman's Bakehouse to pick up something for lunch and asked if I wanted anything. The bakehouse is where all the baking happens for Zingermans, and in addition they have a cabinet full of prepared sandwiches, as well as soup, thin crust pizza, and some other good lunch things. It's a really good thing to know about, but kind of an off-the-beaten path place, located in the middle of an industrial park. But I digress... I was speaking of redemption.

The Bakehouse also offers gelato from Zingerman's Creamery - you see where this is heading, don't you? I asked Brian to pick me up a cup of gelato. I ended up with the Vanilla with Dulce de Leche. My first choice was the "turtle" - chocolate gelato with dulce de leche and pecans - but they've rotated out of that flavor. Pretty much doesn't matter what flavor you get though, cause it's all awesome. Very vanilla-y base, with lots of pretty vanilla bean specks, and the yummy carmelly dulce throughout. Yummm.

And it even counts as a dairy serving for the day, getting me one step closer to the four I need!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

:cool:

Don't worry. I remember from doing my own blog that the commentary always gets a little sparse as the weekend approaches. Half of eGullet USA's going to the Pig Pickin', after all.

I'm enjoying your account a lot, by the way!

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

The Bakehouse also offers gelato from Zingerman's Creamery - you see where this is heading, don't you?  I asked Brian to pick me up a cup of gelato.  I ended up with the Vanilla with Dulce de Leche.  My first choice was the "turtle" - chocolate gelato with dulce de leche and pecans - but they've rotated out of that flavor.  Pretty much doesn't matter what flavor you get though, cause it's all awesome.  Very vanilla-y base, with lots of pretty vanilla bean specks, and the yummy carmelly dulce throughout.  Yummm.

That sounds so good.

Remember, the ice cream/gelato food group is essential to a balanced diet. :smile:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I'm reading, Tammylc.

It's been 13 years since my last pregnancy, and I find myself smiling when reading about yours. I went through one where I felt great, and then the last one where I had to be hospitalized in month three because I couldn't keep ANY food down. My daughter is a result of that pregnancy, and I remind myself now about how the pregnancy was the easy part! :raz:

Anyway, keep up the posting - I look forward to reading it!

Don't worry.  I remember from doing my own blog that the commentary always gets a little sparse as the weekend approaches.  Half of eGullet USA's going to the Pig Pickin', after all.

:angry: whaddya mean half?

feels more like everyone except me, elyse, and chad. :biggrin:

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Is anyone still reading, or am I just talking to myself?

I'm reading....although I got completely sidetracked reading the info on cohousing. Very similiar to what a group of friends and I had talked about.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

whaddya mean half?

feels more like everyone except me, elyse, and chad. :biggrin:

:unsure:

I'm still holding the fort in Chi-town while Aurora, maggiethecat and His Handsomeness, guajolote (with family? without? can't recall), and probably a few more are on the road to Raleigh.

Not me, however. Damn.

Couldn't get away with three eGullet weekends in a row, with stuff to do in a newly-bought condo. I'm going to Grand Rapids for the Heartlandfest next weekend, so I thought I'd better stay here, beat up contractors, and get utilities in order.

Ah, yes: and I need to hit Sam's and Binnie's for suitable wine offerings for Michiganders. Expensive...but fun.

-- 2/19/2004

Couldn't get away with three eGullet weekends in a row, with stuff to do in a newly-bought condo.  I'm going to Grand Rapids for the Heartlandfest next weekend, so I thought I'd better stay here, beat up contractors, and get utilities in order.

Ah, yes:  and I need to hit Sam's and Binnie's for suitable wine offerings for Michiganders.  Expensive...but fun.

See you at the Heartlandfest, LadyT. I'm looking forward to finally meeting some Egulleteers in real life!

But speaking of wine, can you look for a wine for me? I'll happily pay you for a couple/few bottles, if you can find it - no Michigan retailers carry it.

It's the Lucien Crochet Sancerre "Le Croix De Roy" bottling. The vintage I had and liked was the 2000, but that was a year ago and I suspect it's no longer the current bottling. No matter - whatever year is available would be fine. I had it at a dinner in Chicago and no Sancerre has held a candle to it since. Should be about $20/bottle.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

:cool:

Interesting. I've printed the page out to take with me; I'll see if (a) I can find it and (b) get you a nice deal on three-four bottles or so.

:wink:

Between those bottles and the other wines I'm thinking of bringing, I'm gonna need another bag just for booze!

-- 2/19/2004

Tammy, your blog should not have been subtitled "shocking amounts of food" but "eating all the time!"

I remember, with all three pregnancies, my stomach ruled my life. I had no control over how little or much weight I gained. When I had to eat, I had to eat. When I couldn't eat, I couldn't eat.

And, ice cream and other assorted frozen treats are wonderful, aren't they?

I was thinking pot roast tonight -- I've been in the mood for a melting braise, but it is so summer-like today, I have decided burgers, potato salad and the last of my tomatos.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

You're right - "eating all the time" would have been more accurate.

And I know the "must eat now" feeling very well. Experienced it tonight, actually.

So, more blogging. Afternoon snack at work included a handful of pretzels (I wanted something salty after the sweetness of the gelato), and later a mini Almond Joy and a Hershey's nugget with toffee and almonds. I generally despise Hershey's chocolate, but the "extra creamy milk chocolate" they put in that particular item is actually palatable.

Then I headed over to a my soon-to-be housemate's house to help her pack. I collapsed on the bed utterly exhausted upon arriving, and realizing that my blood sugar was low, ate some "reheated and now tepid sweet potatoes fries." But food is food, and when you need it, most things taste good. And to be fair, I am a fan of sweet potato fries, although they do have a tendency to get overly brown when reheated.

We packed for a while, and then the "must eat now" feeling kicked in, so we wandered down to Sabor Latino. I was so hungry I pigged out on chips while waiting, but they're good chips, so that's not so bad. The pico de gallo/salsa that they serve with them is also great - lots of fresh cilantro and ripe tomato, just a little bit of heat. For dinner I got the only thing I ever get at Sabor, and the thing I was craving - three of their carne al pastor tacos. This is somewhat spicy marinated pork served on top of fresh corn tortillas, with lots of fresh cilantro and some onions, and a lime wedge to sprinkle on top. Mmmmm. Everyone I've ever recommended this taco to has loved it. To drink I had a _big_ glass of horchata - it's enough to be a meal in and of itself, so needless to say I was stuffed.

As we were leaving a couple got seated at the table next to us. I heard the man of the couple saying that he was going to get the combination plate so he could try a bunch of different things, so I spoke up to recommend to him that he choose the carne al pastor as his taco. He was skeptical at first, but I think my enthusiasm eventually won them over... (Although they were a rather surprised to be receiving dinner advice from a random stranger.)

On the walk back from dinner we stopped at Zingerman's so my companion could use the restroom. While she was doing that I perused the chocolate counter. They had several new chocolates, so I got one of each to bring home and try - I can't remember all the flavors, but there's one with whiskey and coffee, another with mint, and one with white chocolate and pistachios - I can't remember what's in the fourth one. I also tasted a little chocolate covered sunflower seed (tasty) and a chocolate covered corn piece (nasty). The thing I love about Zing is that you can taste _everything_ they sell. They didn't have a box of the corn pieces open for tasting, so I asked them to open one for me and they did. Very cool.

And I'm still so full I could burst, so that's probably it for food tonight!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Is anyone still reading, or am I just talking to myself?

I say rock on. You are definitely giving NeroW a run for her money with this blog. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Wow. The mexican food sounds delish, but the chocolate corn sounds totally nasty. Pregnancy must make you very hungry, btw! I'm really enjoying this blog. :biggrin: Don't tag me unless you want to know how a college student eats on a ghetto budget. :wink:

Edited by Ling (log)

And I'm still so full I could burst, so that's probably it for food tonight!

Never say never! ALthough, when I was pregnant, being too full was almost as bad as being hungry.

Chocolate corn? Does sound nasty, but I'm one of those rare ones who doesn't like fruit with chocolate. I like chocolate (less as I get older), and like fruit, but not together.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Wow. The mexican food sounds delish, but the chocolate corn sounds totally nasty. Pregnancy must make you very hungry, btw! I'm really enjoying this blog.  :biggrin: Don't tag me unless you want to know how a college student eats on a ghetto budget.  :wink:

i do. haven't seen that in a while.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

For dinner I got the only thing I ever get at Sabor, and the thing I was craving - three of their carne al pastor tacos.  This is somewhat spicy marinated pork served on top of fresh corn tortillas, with lots of fresh cilantro and some onions, and a lime wedge to sprinkle on top.  Mmmmm.  Everyone I've ever recommended this taco to has loved it.

Those tacos sound divine. A bit like carnitas, but spicier? Drooool....

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne