• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: tammylc - Shocking Amounts of Food

tammylc

Those tacos sound divine. A bit like carnitas, but spicier? Drooool....

At least one person I've taken there says that the marinade they use is actually pretty unique, and not standard Mexican. Which makes sense, since the restaurant is a doing a pan-Latin thing instead of being strictly mexican. Last night's special was Puerto Rican chicken, for example.

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Never say never!  ALthough, when I was pregnant, being too full was almost as bad as being hungry.

It absolutely is. I was really regretting pigging out the way I did last night.

And Ling - it has made me a little hungrier, but the big thing, is that I need to avoid being too full or too empty. If I get too hungry, I feel sick and hypoglycemic. So I try to eat something every two-three hours in order to avoid that state. But usually it's a smaller amount than I'd eat if it was just one meal out of three. Thus the splitting my lunch portion between early lunch and late lunch, etc.

And you've said the dreaded words "Don't tag me unless..." I think hearing about what a college student on a ghetto budget eats would be a nice change of pace. You're up for next week!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Productive day. As I mentioned in my intro, my husband and I have recently moved into a new house and are still unpacking. One of the things that has prevented us from being done with it already is that we were unable to finish painting before we moved in. We got the main living space completely done. The den and our bedroom are done except for the trim. Wanting to stop being surrounded by boxes in the bedroom at least, I've dedicated today to getting the trim painted. So far I've masked all of the walls around the trim and put on the first coat. Around 4 I'll be able to start with the second coat.

I fortified myself for my day of activity with - what else? - frosted mini-wheats and skim milk. Stopped halfway through for a chocolate pudding. I almost managed to get it all done, but around 12:30 I had to stop to eat lunch - a Lean Cuisine cheese pizza. Actually pretty tasty, although my low wattage microwave took much longer to cook it than the package claimed. Had a glass of milk with lunch - looks like I'll be able to manage my four dairy servings today! Then I went back and finished the one window I hadn't managed to get to before my stomach demanded I take a break.

Now I'm waiting for paint to dry and resting, so I'm going to reward myself for a job well done with the chocolates I bought last night at Zingerman's. Report will follow.

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Chocolate Tasting Report

The chocolates were very tasty, and the fillings had a really unusual and delightful texture. After I'd tried them, I found the website (http://www.jubileechocolates.com/Meet_Chocolates.htm) and determined that I had the following: Glenn's Raspberry, Drew Elementary School Garden Mint, Coffee Whiskey, and Pistachi-oh!

I tried the mint first, and at first couldn't recognize what flavor it was. Then I realized that it tasted like fresh mint! Really unique and unusual. The raspberry was up next, and since I hadn't yet visited the website, I didn't peg it as raspberry, but did guess that it was some sort of intense fruit. Pistachi-oh! was easy to remember from the store, since it's the only one with a white chocolate filling, with bits of pistachios. Good, but the least interesting of the bunch (although the white chocolate was quite tasty and not overly sweet). Last was the Coffee Whiskey, which was pretty unmistakeable and nicely composed - not overwhelming in any of its elements. Good chocolate couverture on all four. And as I've said, the fillings had a really nice texture - they were all extremly smooth and caramel-like. I'll definitely buy these again.

I only ate half of each, and saved the other half for my hubbie. He thought the mint was weird, but really, really liked the Coffee Whiskey.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Upon finishing up all the painting, I went over to my friends house for dinner. I was in charge of picking up drinks and dessert, so got some Squirt (our collective favorite soda) and some cherry juice to drink, and a box of brownies and quart of Ben and Jerry's vanilla ice cream for dessert. Warm brownies with ice cream are my favorite dessert in the world.

But first there was dinner. We started with some tortilla chips with melted cheese and black beans for noshing while dinner was being prepared. Taking advantage of what will probably be one of the last beautiful days in Michigan, my hosts grilled up some buffalo burgers and two kinds of sausages - spicy chorizo and chicken and basil. And grilled asparagus, our collective favorite vegetable. Another person brought a salad - mixed greens with lettuce and scallions, tossed with a cilantro lime dressing and lots of freshly grated parmesan. Everything was really good, but took a _long_ time to prepare, so I was pretty hungry by the time it was ready, and the littlest member of our party (not counting the two babies in utero among the three women there) was overtired and prone to throwing temper tantrums.

While he was getting put to bed I mixed up and baked the brownies, and we ate them hot out of the oven with vanilla ice cream. Ambrosia.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

No exciting food so far for the last day of my blog. The usual for breakfast at 7:30 am. Around 10:30 I started complaining about the lack of lunch food in the house, but realizing the time, decided second breakfasts were in order and made a fried egg sandwich on Zingerman's farm bread. Today our roommate moved in, so I was watching a good friends' child while he helped with the moving party. It was also a community work day for my cohousing community, so said child and I went off to pick up litter from around the detention ponds and along the road. After more than an hour of that we were both pooped, so we came back inside for snacks. He had a plum and some orange juice, I had a couple wedges of cheese and some Squirt.

By the time we got back outside all of the other children had gone off with our childcare people, so he was really bummed and we spent some time unsuccessfully looking for them. But then the stuff unloading started, and after that there was pizza, so that seemed to make things better for him. Not so much for me - it was Cottage Inn pizza, which I mostly think is pretty nasty. But we haven't figured out what good pizza places deliver to the new house yet, and besides, I wasn't the one buying.

There's a community celebration going on right now, to celebrate the end of our first work day and one of our members birthdays. There's probably even cake, and maybe ice cream. But I'm not up for much more than lying on the couch right now!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

And Ling - it has made me a little hungrier, but the big thing, is that I need to avoid being too full or too empty.  If I get too hungry, I feel sick and hypoglycemic.  So I try to eat something every two-three hours in order to avoid that state.  But usually it's a smaller amount than I'd eat if it was just one meal out of three.  Thus the splitting my lunch portion between early lunch and late lunch, etc.

And you've said the dreaded words "Don't tag me unless..."  I think hearing about what a college student on a ghetto budget eats would be a nice change of pace.  You're up for next week!

:blink:

I'll start with today, since I'm at my parents' house cooking Thanksgiving dinner.

At least it'll be a little more interesting than my ultra-cheap menu for the next week. :raz:

Last entry.

Eric and I had both worked hard today, so we decided to reward ourselves with dinner out. Eric was having a hankering for sushi, so then it was just a matter of deciding which Japanese restaurant to go to - Ann Arbor has several. Since I don't eat much raw fish (even less now), as long as they serve tempura and udon, they're all about the same to me. Eric decided on Fuji- not generally considered one of the top Japanese restaurants in town, but his favorite.

I had the tempura shrimp and vegetable appetizer as my dinner, accompanied by two pieces of unagi sushi (broiled BBQ eel). It was all very tasty, and I'm nicely full without being overstuffed. Which means I probably won't eat anything else tonight (never say never) and this is my last blog entry.

Thanks all - it's been a fun week! And as a bonus, I needed a food diary for my midwife appointment on Tuesday, and this has been a much more entertaining way of generating one!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I'll start with today, since I'm at my parents' house cooking Thanksgiving dinner.

Is it one of those recipes where the turkey has to simmer for a month?

Bruce

Canadian Thanksgiving, silly.

For a sophisticated world traveller, you're being awfully US-centric... :-)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Just as well I'm not blogging this week... I'm having some health problems (Meniere's Syndrome attack, if anyone is curious) that I'm trying to counteract with a low sodium diet. Maximum 1500 mg a day - and I've already used up 420 of that on two tiny little cinnamon rolls this morning! So sad.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40