• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: tammylc - Shocking Amounts of Food

tammylc

Today should be a good foodblogging day, if sheer quantity counts for anything. After I posted about breakfast, I puttered around doing some things before leaving for work. And before I even left the house I was hungry again! But short on time, so I just had some OJ. While I was drinking it I noticed two deer walking along the edge of the wetlands that I can see from my back window. How cool! I'm going to miss being able to walk to the grocery store, but the wildlife has something of a counterbalancing effect...

Now that I'm at work, I'm munching trail mix to make the hungries go away. Peanuts, sunflower seeds, raisins - and lest you think I'm being too healthy - candy covered chocolate pieces. I brought a bunch of food to work with me - let's see how much of it I manage to go through.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I held out as long as I could - eating lunch at 11 seemed a bit excessive. I only made it to about 11:20 before my body screamed MUST EAT RIGHT NOW, so I did. Leftovers from last night - curried tofu, veggies and rice. I only ate about half of what I brought, so I'll probably eat the rest later today. I'm still kinda feeling hungry, but I'm going to drink some more water and see if that helps.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Unbelievably, I was still hungry, so I just ate a chocolate pudding cup and a piece of baklava left out for the taking on the kitchen table in the office. I am happy to report that at least for now, I've actually managed to eat enough...

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I'm impressed that you're able to eat curry.  I had to give up garlic completely through both pregnancies.

Knock on wood. So far there's nothing I've had to give up!

For my wife, it was seafood, which she normally loves. We were at dinner at The Pelican Club in NOLA...ordered a scallop appetizer and when it arrived she suddenly became very nauseous. This was at the very beginning of her pregnancy but it was the moment--as she tells me--when she was sure that her hunch about being pregnant became more than a hunch.

Of course, she kept me in the dark for a short while. When we returned home, she took an ept, made a visit to the doctor and revealed to me (in a memorable state of shock :biggrin:) that she was pregnant.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Pathetic, I tell you. Yes, I'm eating again! Hungry day today...

This time it's baby carrots (which I really don't like all that much, but six baby carrots is a veggie serving and I don't get enough veggie servings, so I can usually manage to force them down) and a handful of pretzels from the bag someone kindly left on the kitchen table. I'd rather have some more leftover curry and rice, but I'm going home to cook dinner soon.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Turns out my husband had other plans for the evening, so my planned dinner will have to wait. Instead I cooked myself a comfort food favorite - macaroni and cheese (Amy's Organic) with broccoli and some cooked chicken mixed in. I sauteed the chicken in olive oil with garlic and black pepper. And - of course - I'm drinking milk.

Had some fun on my way home stopping into a little deli/bakery/party store on this side of town that I'd heard about but not had a chance to visit yet - Baxter's. They had an interesting array of somewhat gourmet items, and a pretty good wine selection. They had a nice climate controlled cellar for the good stuff, but it was pretty sparsely stocked. And their French wine section was very slim, but still had a couple of things that looked vaguely interesting, were I looking to purchase a random bottle of wine for dinner. I did, however, purchase a pint of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream to treat myself to later. They had my favorite flavor - coffee heath bar crunch - but the caffeine in that keeps me awake if I eat it at night, and I'm having a hard enough time sleeping as it is!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I wish I could have eaten like this during my 3 pregnancies, I had the morning sickness from hell and had to be hospitalized with my first because I was losing too much weight (I had dropped down to 104 lbs and I am close to 5' 8"). I was down to eat these strawberry flavored ice chip things because they tasted just as good coming up as they did going down! :shock:

I was completely turned off coffee during all three pregnancies, even the smell made me gag, I also couldn't touch noodles in any form :blink: .

women really are amazing creatures............. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I've been extremely lucky so far on the food front.  But I've had awful fatigue and exhaustion and insomnia, so it all balances out, I suppose!

Just remember - only 30 more weeks to go. :smile:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I have known several ladies that got a reprieve from the fatigue and insomnia at about the 4th month and felt great from then on. There may be hope!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I have known several ladies that got a reprieve from the fatigue and insomnia at about the 4th month and felt great from then on. There may be hope!

I'm crossing my fingers!

Back on the food front, breakfast was - you guessed it - frosted mini-wheats and skim milk.

I didn't actually eat any of the ice cream I bought last night. I wasn't feeling well after dinner and was really, really tired, so I ended up just falling into bed around 10. But it's good to know it's there in case I have any ice cream emergencies come up...

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Never actually had it, but Edy's makes a decaffeinated coffee ice cream.

Fascinating...

And I suppose I could break up my own Heath Bars and mix them in. Hmmm... this bears further investigation. Thanks for the tip.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I enjoy your posts. As for your poll, I would go for the curried veggies, it sounds pretty good right now. I have not eaten mac and cheese in a long time. Now that I think about it, if I had to eat both leftovers, I would probably eat the mac and cheese first. But if somebody else can eat the mac and cheese later, I would stick with my first choice, curried veggies.

Good luck the next few months.

Alex

I may have cursed myself with all that talk yesterday of being morning sickness free - I've been feeling kinda under the weather this morning. But I think that it's actually a consequence of far too many days in a row of not enough sleep. I got somewhere between 4 and 6 hours last night, and that's with going to bed at 10 pm!

So I started my day at the office with a Coke and a handful of pretzels. Ahh, sugar and caffeine are wonderful things - I feel much more alert, at least for the timebeing. I still have half a can left, but it's after noon so I really should stop - any caffeine after noon will affect my sleep that night - I'm that sensitive!

On to lunch. Despite Alex's excellent selection, I went with the mac and cheese. By the time I pulled myself away from what I was doing I was hungry enough that my tummy was upset again, so I went with what I perceived to be the more gentle option. But I only had a small bowl, so I'll probably have the curry for second lunch, later this afternoon.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

For dinner I met my husband at the Creekside Restaurant and Bar. It's not especially good food, just your standard neighborhood place, but a group of friends gets together there every couple of weeks to play boardgames, and tonight was that night. I wasn't up for playing games tonight (I have to peel potatoes, story of which I'll explain later), so I just stopped in for dinner.

In an effort to be kinda healthy and add some roughage to my diet, I had a side salad with my dinner. One thing I can say about Creekside - their salads are good. They're a pretty standard side salad, but with a nice mix of greens instead of just iceburg lettuce, and always nice and fresh and not watery.

Then I completely defeated any attempts to be healthy by having a hamburger and french fries. I topped my burger with lettuce, tomato, mayo, and sauteed onions and mushrooms. Then I dipped my fries in the mayo that I didn't put on my burger. Tasty. My only saving grace is that I didn't eat the whole thing, so I don't feel overstuffed. Perhaps that means I'll have room for ice cream later. Mmmm.... ice cream.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

We're looking forward to feeding all sorts of good food to you and your young companion at the upcoming Heartland Gathering party/dinner. :biggrin:

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer