• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a Whim... What are you up to...

Al_Dente

I should be able to make it - how dive-y are we talking about? Do I need to worry about getting stuck to the floor?

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

So are we still on for Stoney's tomorrow night (Monday)? What time? I'd prefer 6:30 since I'm an early-to-bed sort, though I suspect Stoney's on a Monday isn't one of those places where it's a big deal if people wander in to join a party after they've taken a table.

I didn't realize we were on for this. Hmm, I don't even know where it is. What's the address?

I might be able to make it-- depends on how long my day at the office goes.

13th & L St.

Warning: It really is a dive.

That sounds like a challenge. I'm a really low class guy, so I think I can handle it. :wink:

What kinda vittles do they serve?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

So are we still on for Stoney's tomorrow night (Monday)? What time? I'd prefer 6:30 since I'm an early-to-bed sort, though I suspect Stoney's on a Monday isn't one of those places where it's a big deal if people wander in to join a party after they've taken a table.

I didn't realize we were on for this. Hmm, I don't even know where it is. What's the address?

I might be able to make it-- depends on how long my day at the office goes.

13th & L St.

Warning: It really is a dive.

That sounds like a challenge. I'm a really low class guy, so I think I can handle it. :wink:

What kinda vittles do they serve?

Burgers, grilled cheese, chili, onion rings and hookers. :laugh:

Mark

OK, I plan to be there around 6:30. Al, if you order hookers, I will not be splitting them with you.  I'll get my own.  :blink:

What makes you think I'd want to share my hookers?

Well, somebody better meet Malawry there, so I guess I'm going.

We'll try to put some type of review together. Should be interesting...

-- A.B.

What makes you think I'd want to share my hookers?

Well, somebody better meet Malawry there, so I guess I'm going.

We'll try to put some type of review together. Should be interesting...

"We'll try to put some type of review together. Should be interesting"

Make sure you include detailed descriptions of the wall hangings, brewery sconces and other decorating flourishes. Please also describe in detail the various characters arrayed at the bar not forgetting to describe their individual sartorial choices, beverage of choice, brand of cigarette and hairstyle. When possible, attach colorful descriptors (e.g. "Weenie Woman").

TIA

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I didn't get around to the review. Been outta town and too damn busy. Suffice it to say, Stoney's was all it was cracked up to be.

So on to the next victim. I was reading Tom's new dining guide and I realized I've yet to have a great Chinese dining experience in DC. This is due in large part to my reluctance to order from the "Chinese" menu. I'll give anything a whirl once, but I find myself with unadventurous eaters most of the time.

So how bout Eat First? We could make friends with our server, get the full story on the menu, and try anything.

On a whim...

Al

-- A.B.

Okay, I didn't get around to the review. Been outta town and too damn busy. Suffice it to say, Stoney's was all it was cracked up to be.

So on to the next victim. I was reading Tom's new dining guide and I realized I've yet to have a great Chinese dining experience in DC. This is due in large part to my reluctance to order from the "Chinese" menu. I'll give anything a whirl once, but I find myself with unadventurous eaters most of the time.

So how bout Eat First? We could make friends with our server, get the full story on the menu, and try anything.

On a whim...

Al

Give New Big Wong a try. Notice all the fish tanks when you walk in. The last time we went there they had live: razor clams, shrimp, dungeness crabs, lobsters and bass. The XO sauce rocked. I had the best fried rice of my life there, the "special" fried rice with scallops and lobster.

Mark

On a whim...

Al

Give New Big Wong a try. Notice all the fish tanks when you walk in. The last time we went there they had live: razor clams, shrimp, dungeness crabs, lobsters and bass. The XO sauce rocked. I had the best fried rice of my life there, the "special" fried rice with scallops and lobster.

I have immesurable respect for any place that serves live dungeness crab on the east coast, and even more for a place that does it here in the heart of blue crab country.

But it's best after 2am, no?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I'd love to go. I'm assuming we're talking sometime in the coming week... if so can we make it Monday? My crazy work schedule thanks you.

Alternatively, if we do New Big Wong at 2 a.m., I could go this Saturday and then walk to work from there! :laugh::sad::laugh:

Erin

I'd love to go. I'm assuming we're talking sometime in the coming week... if so can we make it Monday? My crazy work schedule thanks you.

Alternatively, if we do New Big Wong at 2 a.m., I could go this Saturday and then walk to work from there! :laugh::sad::laugh:

I didn't have a date in mind yet. I was just throwing it out there. But Monday could work for me.

However, with this additional input about Dungeness Crab (plus you can't beat the name), I might have to try NBW instead. 2 a.m. would be a little tough for me as I'm getting on in years.

So, Eat First or the Wong?

-- A.B.

2 a.m. would be a little tough for me as I'm getting on in years.

Shit, 2 am was no problem for you while eating pork rinds and tending a pig!

That was different. The immense responsibility and gravity of the situation coupled with being all hopped up on pork rinds and pecan wood smoke got me through it.

-- A.B.

So, Eat First or the Wong?

Copyright © 2003, Al Dente's guide to the all-time worst pick-up lines.

Nominee, funniest thing I have ever read, 2003

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

While I did get "responses" (and some damn funny ones at that) to the question I posed, I didn't get any answers.

Perhaps I need to re-phrase: which of the two previously mentioned establishments should we try?

-- A.B.