• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a Whim... What are you up to...

Al_Dente

Already hit 2Amys for lunch (the current special pizza with chanterelles and the sweetest orange cherry tomatoes is really, really good), so I'm cooking at home tonight. I think it'll be chicken cacciatore and one or other of the assorted bottles that just arrived in the mail. I love the delivery part of online wine shopping, it's like getting a cool present from yourself. "Dear Me. Enjoy! You deserve it, you big lug, you. Love, Me. (PS: Let's not tell Her, OK?)"

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

My goodness, for a change I'm drinking cheap booze in Clarendon at a friend's birthday party.

I'll be in a courtyard, and there might be something nuts going on like a band or Scaryoki. A very bad man I know, initials MoD, will be at Firefly with a friend.

I had to make a trip to the Eastern Shore this afternoon to drop my dog off at the Trainers. I made a detour towards Easton and took the road towards St.Michaels. I stopped at the Exxon station just outstide of Easton in order to get a great cheesesteak sub sandwich and 3 lbs. of homemade country sausage. I'll let you know how the sausage is tomorrow. Skins win 17-0.

edited to add: The Exxon was packed with eGulleteers. Shit, the word is out.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

I had to make a trip to the Eastern Shore this afternoon

rough life...

we cooked Vace sausages and ate them with mustard and and an unholy number of tomatoes from the farmers' market. and baba ghanouj with pita. and garlic olives. and carrots. and belgian beer. and I'm not eating again for a while....

I had to make a trip to the Eastern Shore this afternoon to drop my dog off at the trainers.

Pitty. My dog is fully trained.

I ate crab balls in Clarendon (like I said); drank drinks with umbrellas in 'em, even got laied. Spookarama. Talked to some real estate agent for three hours about property in McLean. What a fool he was!

Already hit 2Amys for lunch (the current special pizza with chanterelles and the sweetest orange cherry tomatoes is really, really good), so I'm cooking at home tonight. I think it'll be chicken cacciatore and one or other of the assorted bottles that just arrived in the mail. I love the delivery part of online wine shopping, it's like getting a cool present from yourself. "Dear Me. Enjoy! You deserve it, you big lug, you. Love, Me. (PS: Let's not tell Her, OK?)"

that was comedy...you big lug.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

Just an fyi about this experimental thread--Jenny's idea is we keep it rolling with more of a social focus on where DC eG'ers are planning to go. Don and I agree this is valuable information to share, if only for others to decide where not to go. (Kidding.) Followups about your meals or experiences, though, should still be posted on regular threads about the stores, chefs, restaurants.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

OK - this thread is playing tricks on my mind.

I had a dream last night about having dinner at Ray's the Steaks (where I have never been) with my late father and being seated at a table next to Al Dente, MNebergall and Michael Phelps.

Anyone care to analyze?

Bill Russell

I had a dream last night about having dinner at Ray's the Steaks (where I have never been) with my late father and being seated at a table next to Al Dente, MNebergall and Michael Phelps.

Anyone care to analyze?

How were the steaks and what were we drinking? If I recall correctly, I picked up the tab-- so you guys owe me.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Anyone care to analyze?

How were the steaks and what were we drinking? If I recall correctly, I picked up the tab-- so you guys owe me.

We don't owe you much because I had the same dream and we were drinking wine from a box.

Just an fyi about this experimental thread--Jenny's idea is we keep it rolling with more of a social focus on where DC eG'ers are planning to go. Don and I agree this is valuable information to share, if only for others to decide where not to go. (Kidding.) Followups about your meals or experiences, though, should still be posted on regular threads about the stores, chefs, restaurants.

I'm glad someone is expending candlepower in August. Excellent thread Jenny.

Anyone care to analyze?

Michael Phelps is actually Michael Landrum, the chef, I'm Jesus Christ, Al Dente is the devil, your late father is the Pope. And it is only natural for the devil to pick up the check after ordering cheap wine.

I'm Jesus Christ

This one is going to haunt you when you run for higher office, Mark. Although, if you're right, I guess you can't really aspire to a more elevated position anyway.

(PS: How about changing my bottle of Deer Park into that '89 Chave Hermitage your designated devil keeps banging on about?)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

So, like, were the Devilishly Good Eggs in your dream, Bill? I bet they were served in a little Tonka Truck that Michael pushed from the kitchen, down a funky ramp and in the background there was circus music.

That's how I dream.

I was supposed to be at Eve tonight, but it's next Monday instead. Maybe I'll have Pho 75 tonight.

Edited by morela (log)

Emailed from Galileo yesterday:

Galileo Grill Dates

Pork Shoulder, Sausage and more! The upcoming Galileo Grill dates are:

Monday, August 16

Thursday, August 26

Friday, August 27

Tuesday, August 31

Thursday, September 2

Time: Noon til the grill is empty. Take your lunch to go or have a seat at a table on our courtyard terrace. Come early for the best selection.

I am thinking of heading into DC on Thursday or Friday at lunch to sample the delights from Roberto's grill. Anyone want to join me?

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.