• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a Whim... What are you up to...

Al_Dente

Anyone else thinking of hitting Firefly this evening for happy wino hour? It's Weird Italian White night. Please identify yourself with the following code phrase: "So, a lawyer and his elk try to break into a bar..."

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Anyone else thinking of hitting Firefly this evening for happy wino hour? It's Weird Italian White night. Please identify yourself with the following code phrase: "So, a lawyer and his elk try to break into a bar..."

How bout you have to actually bring an elk? Or at least a lawyer with a big rack (do elks have racks?). :biggrin:

Depending on what time I get outta the office (not BdC), I may be able to swing by. I'd like to try that lamb minute steak too.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I should have weighed in sooner and perhaps I might have crossed paths with some of you. My GF and I were in DC over the weekend and had Saturday brunch at Cafe LaRuche on 31st Street in G'town. Nice place, decent food.

Saturday night we went to the movies on Bethesda (it was close to where we were staying). She wanted soup afterwards and struck out at a few places - we weren't in the mood for $7 onion soup when all we wanted a quick bite and all Cosi's had was chicken noodle. We settled on Austin Grill when the hostesses, both of them, assured us that they had clam chowder. Uhhhh.... gee...."corn" starts with the letter 'c' but it sure ain't clam chowder and corn chowder was all they had on the menu. At that point we were tired and just settled for what they had - beef barbacoa enchilada and shrimp tacos. The food was okay - not wow but not bad. The fresh limeade rocks big time. According to the GF the sangria was bizarre - sort of on the bitter side. They replaced it cheerfully with a frozen raspberry daquiri that looked like a lime slushpuppie with raspberry syrup squirted into the bottom (I think, apart from the rum, that's exactly what it was).

In their defense, the food was okay and the waitress did all the right things. She immediately and cheerfully replaced the sangria and also noticed that the daquiri hardly got touched. She promptly insisted that we get comped desserts but we declined only because we'd had enough to eat. That kind of proactive customer service goes a long way.

I'll be back down there in a month or so and we plan to eat at Colorado Grill on a Saturday night if anyone's up to joining us.

You folks missed out. Some tasty grapes were had along with some mac n cheese.

Too bad I had to leave early. Although its not like I will not be dropping by again. :raz:

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Emailed from Galileo yesterday:

Galileo Grill Dates

Pork Shoulder, Sausage and more! The upcoming Galileo Grill dates are:

Monday, August 16

Thursday, August 26

Friday, August 27

Tuesday, August 31

Thursday, September 2

Time: Noon til the grill is empty. Take your lunch to go or have a seat at a table on our courtyard terrace. Come early for the best selection.

I am thinking of heading into DC on Thursday or Friday at lunch to sample the delights from Roberto's grill. Anyone want to join me?

I've been wanting to get over there, but clueless about when to go, not to mention the fact that I haven't even been able to leave the office for lunch very much lately. (much less get to catch-up on eg) A co-worker and I have plans to go Thurs--if all goes well. I'll look to see if you're there, mdt, if you decided to go today instead of tomorrow.

...and I'm only 1 1/2 blocks away, cs!

I just had the leftover mac 'n cheese, cold, as a restorative breakfast -- mixed with the leftover tomato risotto, also cold. It was awesome. These avant garde dudes should stop screwing around with foams and airs and pay more attention to the taste and texture possibilities of the congealed state, says I.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I will hopefully be making it to Galileo for grilling tomorrow (wait...that's today!) :raz:

Ditto. It's on the list of "Places I've been trying to get to for a while but for whatever reason haven't". I've got a good feeling about today, though, even if I catch the tail end of it. Can you get the BBQ to go? Going to be cutting it close for lunch hour... :hmmm:

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

I'm Jesus Christ

This one is going to haunt you when you run for higher office, Mark. Although, if you're right, I guess you can't really aspire to a more elevated position anyway.

(PS: How about changing my bottle of Deer Park into that '89 Chave Hermitage your designated devil keeps banging on about?)

I already did this one, in a prior life, no repeat performances.

How bout you have to actually bring an elk? Or at least a lawyer with a big rack (do elks have racks?). :biggrin:

Depending on what time I get outta the office (not BdC), I may be able to swing by. I'd like to try that lamb minute steak too.

Elk have huge racks (only the boy elk tho').

I hear that! I ended up having to clean up two really heavily infected student machines, and then help a staff member set up for some sort of new student something or other. Long story short I ended up having a #7 and fries from Lindy's around 3:30. Rocked the house with those laptops, though!

Absolutely, positively going to try and get there tomorrow!

Matt Robinson

This week is not going well for getting out! Still no Galileo lunch. Not feeling well, so no Firefly tonight. However! I'm going to be at a birthday party across the street from Nectar tomorrow! Woo!

Matt Robinson

Thinking about Palena, to which I have never been, tonight for din-din.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode