• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a Whim... What are you up to...

Al_Dente

just make sure some imaginary girls hit on me.  just like up here in NJ.

And we'll both drink a lot. So Al will definitely have to fill us in on the last half of the evening or so.

al, get the pull-out ready. no doubt i'll have to crash at your place. you got cheerios? i like cheerios in the morning. and i'll probably want some frozen pizza when we get back to your place tonite. thanks dude.

tommy, have you been to Al's place before?

In all seriousness, if I'd actually seen this thread yesterday, I'd have gone. But then Tommy and Matthew had to come along and ruin it for me.

I'm often game for last-minute stuff these days though. :hmmm: And I love Matchbox. They have a cute new bartender.

just make sure some imaginary girls hit on me.  just like up here in NJ.

And we'll both drink a lot. So Al will definitely have to fill us in on the last half of the evening or so.

al, get the pull-out ready. no doubt i'll have to crash at your place. you got cheerios? i like cheerios in the morning. and i'll probably want some frozen pizza when we get back to your place tonite. thanks dude.

tommy, have you been to Al's place before?

That pretty much captures my place. Though my tux isn't as nice and my blow up doll is a sheep-- I have a thing for lamb chops (had to somehow fit something food related back into this thread).

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

So is this gig still on?  I might be up for the drive in from 'burbs if so.

It's on for me anyway. I got a couple of messages about it, but I'm still not sure whether anyone will be there.

I'm on my way there now-- should be at the bar, drink in hand, by 6:45.

-- A.B.

Okay, this spur of the moment event occurred this evening. The results were disastrous.

As you all know, Mars had just passed by the Earth as close as ever in recorded history. So there I was with Heather (hjshorter) when we spotted Tommy and MatthewB across the street waving enthusiastically toward us as they crossed the street. Just as they were about to reach the door, VOOOOOSH, Mars passed by, squashing them in the street leaving only greasy skidmarks on the pavement.

We were devastated. So much so that we were forced to order 3 miniburgers, a white pizza with olives and prosciutto, and another pizza with some awesome sausage and artichoke hearts. We both ordered an extra glass of pinot noir. We wept through the whole experience.

Our grief was such that we found ourselves going around the corner to Regional Food and Beverage for some Belgian beers and GM.

It would have been a good time if it weren't for the tragic event. DAMN YOU MARS! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

There is a lesson in this for all of us. I just don't know what it is.

Oh, the humanity!

That being said, thanks to Heather for sharing my grief. I'm only sorry she had to see that horror. We had as good a time as possible given the tragic circumstances.

We decided there should be a memorial service at another restaurant in the DC area sometime soon. I encourage as many of you as possible to attend to show our solidarity against these all too common planetary iniquities. Today Mars, tomorrow Neptune. We must rise against this injustice before it happens again.

Somberly and soberly,

Al Dente (and hjshorter if I may write on her behalf)

-- A.B.

So there I was with Heather (hjshorter) when we spotted Tommy and MatthewB across the street waving enthusiastically toward us as they crossed the street. Just as they were about to reach the door, VOOOOOSH, Mars passed by, squashing them in the street leaving only greasy skidmarks on the pavement.

Cheer up, Al. Those were actually Martian imposters, not the real tommy and MatthewB. tommy would never, ever, act so touristy as to "wave enthusiastically." How tacky.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

So there I was with Heather (hjshorter) when we spotted Tommy and MatthewB across the street waving enthusiastically toward us as they crossed the street. Just as they were about to reach the door, VOOOOOSH, Mars passed by, squashing them in the street leaving only greasy skidmarks on the pavement.

Cheer up, Al. Those were actually Martian imposters, not the real tommy and MatthewB. tommy would never, ever, act so touristy as to "wave enthusiastically." How tacky.

Hi Varmint-- after meeting Heather, I think I'm going to have to come to the pig pickin. I went to high school down in Raleigh and mi madre still resides there.

If you can think of anything I should make/bring let me know. I should know in the next week or two if I can make it.

Sounds like a freakin blast.

-- A.B.

Well, at least Mike and I didn't get obliterated - tho we did our best for a "school night."

Matchbox is a great little place. I loved the white prosciutto pizza last night almost as much as my son did for breakfast this morning. :smile: Friendly bar service, and a fine little by-the-glass wine selection.

That said, I must go back to R.F.D. pronto (click and scroll down for the tap list). They have lambic on tap. Three kinds. And their tap selections are avaible in three ounce tastes as well as by the glass. We were scheming about an egullet food and beer tasting sometime in the future.

Walking to the metro I noticed a "Hooters To Go" across the street :blink: but didn't check it out. Maybe next time.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

It's been a rough day. Maybe a bit of a hangover, but it was hard to tell given how revoltingly sick I got early this a.m-- didn't seem in line with what I drank last night. I'm not trying to suggest it was the food though. Seemed like a bug. Perhaps it was the aftershock of Tommy and MatthewB getting crushed by Mars. But it's been a wild roller coaster ride today intestinally speaking. Ugh.

Anyway, it was a pleasure meeting Heather last night. We chatted about Varmin't pig pickin. Oddly enough when I got home last night, I exchanged some messages with him and it turns out his wife is the sister of my Dad's old biz partner's daughter. I don't think that means we're related...

Seems like fate, so I think I'll have to go to the soiree down in Raleigh.

Heather and I also spoke about creating a running post that would suggest spur of the moment get togethers. I figure early in the week is good since it would be easier to find a place at the bar and then decide if we want a table (need to know how many people and all). For instance, you could suggest let's meet Tuesday at xyz restaurant at 7 and we'll get a table at 8. If people come by, great. If not, you're helping out the local economy and getting a good bite.

Thoughts?

-- A.B.