• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a Whim... What are you up to...

Al_Dente

I think this is a great thread, and certainly the Firefly event was a lot of fun.  I'd like to toss out an idea, though.  Perhaps we should use this thread primarily for proposing event sites and making arrangements, and move comments on specific places we visit to dedicated restaurant-specific threads.  For example, detailed comments and pictures from Firefly could go into this thread.  That way information on any given restaurant, whether from a whim visit or otherwise, will be centralized for future generations to enjoy.

Thoughts?

That sounds reasonable to me. Shall we get the posts moved to the Firefly thread, and the title changed on this one?

Will do this afternoon, unless there are major objections raised before then.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I think this is a great thread, and certainly the Firefly event was a lot of fun.  I'd like to toss out an idea, though.  Perhaps we should use this thread primarily for proposing event sites and making arrangements, and move comments on specific places we visit to dedicated restaurant-specific threads.  For example, detailed comments and pictures from Firefly could go into this thread.  That way information on any given restaurant, whether from a whim visit or otherwise, will be centralized for future generations to enjoy.

Thoughts?

That sounds reasonable to me. Shall we get the posts moved to the Firefly thread, and the title changed on this one?

Will do this afternoon, unless there are major objections raised before then.

No objections here.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I think this is a great thread, and certainly the Firefly event was a lot of fun.  I'd like to toss out an idea, though.  Perhaps we should use this thread primarily for proposing event sites and making arrangements, and move comments on specific places .... clip....

oh yeah?

John W. ,

I guess we shouldn't divulge the weekly BDC blowout.

While many are called, few are chosen.

Alas, some things must remain sacred.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Well?  Who's got the next suggestion?

I thought John W suggested Citronelle on a Monday. I presume he didn't mean tonight. And I can't make it if it's next Monday :sad:

-- A.B.

Don't forget that the on the 20th there will be what promises to be a very special eGullet dinner at Indique organized by our very own Monica Bhide.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm still trying to figure out if I'll be around that day.

-- A.B.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the question arose on Saturday night-- where next?

Indique was wonderful. If I could have a meal like that with many of my fellow foodies every 4 to 6 weeks or so, that'd be great. But I think the "semi-regular spontaneous off-line event" with a few of my fellow foodies would be pretty hip too. Lets keep this thread alive. If, like me, you sometimes just head to "neighborhood xyz" just for the hell of it and something to eat for dinner throw a post on here-- if you're up for a little company.

Something upscale? A little bar to bar appetizer crawl? Something decidedly lowbrow? A particular cuisine? Just a damn good burger? A quest for the best Peking Duck? Will an outta town egulleteer be in town?

Whaddaya think?

-- A.B.

Something decidedly lowbrow?

Lowbrow? Count me in. My budget needs a break occasionally.

I'm still anticipating another visit to RFD, or we could get even more lowbrow than that (see the dive bar thread).

Sietsema always mentions Stoney's. I used to live next door to there. Chili and onion rings in a dive atomsphere. Its not the same, though, since they moved the hookers out of the hood.

Mark

I'm still anticipating another visit to RFD, or we could get even more lowbrow than that (see the dive bar thread).

I agree with you.

Perhaps we should have a "flash mob". Go to some dive and loudly praise the fois gras even though it's really nachos... send our compliments to the chef on the mozzarella sticks... reflect solemnly and verbosely on the sublime bud light draft...

Just kiddin, I DO think something funky would be fun. Tune Inn? Bob and Edith's? Some little neighborhood joint you find especially endearing (Southside 815 in Old Town would get my vote)? Some good Pho (perhaps we should save that for a coldweather night)? The aforementioned great burger? A picnic before it gets too chilly?

Anything goes, as far as I'm concerned... :cool:

-- A.B.

Sietsema always mentions Stoney's. I used to live next door to there. Chili and onion rings in a dive atomsphere. Its not the same, though, since they moved the hookers out of the hood.

We could throw in a few hookers too!

-- A.B.

Onion rings and hookers.

I'm in.  :cool:

Is there a more natural combination.

Actually, come to think of it, "hookers" would be a good name for some specialty dish. I can see the thread on egullet now, "Have you tried the hookers at Al Dente's Bistro?"

-- A.B.

Anything involving Al Dente, hookers and onion rings can't suck.

Next Monday then?

John W, Mark S, can you make it? Who else? Hannah?