• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods that you can eat and eat

fresco

In the dinner thread, Snowangel says that she has just served sweet corn for the ninth straight day, and still can't get enough. I'm like that about asparagus--when it's in season we have it pretty much every night for a few weeks. Strawberries too. And when I'm visiting a coastal area, I'll happily eat fish and shellfish lunch and dinner for days on end.

What foods hold this magnetic attraction for you?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Same here with asparagus. I could eat it at every meal - and have had a pound of asparagus with just a touch of butter, salt and pepper, for dinner when it's in season. Ripe peaches, raspberries, tiny peas, pistachios, roast chicken, rare prime rib, butter, bacon, whipped cream, rice of all kinds, freshly baked bread, chocolate.....I know I'm missing some things, but those are the first that come to mind.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Sushi, cranberry spritzers (I usually have one a day), swordfish steaks...

On the flip side, what about those foods you get wild cravings for, but then after you've had them, don't want them again for like a month? As for me, steak and hamburgers top the list.

BACON

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Raw oysters are something I could enjoy every single day for the rest of my life without ever tiring of them.  Ditto on fresh-squeezed orange juice to drink.

IML

ballast/regime

Two of my top four, the other being snowangel's corn on the cob, and...a huge bowl of ripe cherries. They didn't write: "Life is Just a Bowl of Broccoli Rabe," (though that's good too.).

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

BACON

I asked the Fuss this very question & she agreed w/ you Fifi w/o hesitation. She did put fresh corn a close second.

I would say either bacon or ham first on the list w/ ice cream second, fresh tomatoes third, melon fourth, & a well made turkey sandwich fifth. Fresh oysters, crab, & shrimp would rank up there as well.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

...and...a huge bowl of ripe cherries. They didn't write: "Life is Just a Bowl of Broccoli Rabe," (though that's good too.).

Point well taken Maggie!

Good coffee in the morning. Crucial and not subject to negotiation.

Asparagus - white or green - the thinner the better.

Good cheese in small doses (for my waistline, not my level of desire)

Wine!

Fresh fruit in season. Fresh veggies in season.

Steak.

Pasta.

Chinese food - dumplings in particular. Soups too.

Good authentic "down-'n-dirty" cheap ethnic eats. Be it Mexican soft tacos, Vietnamese Pho, Pad Thai, pierogies, or whatever.

Oh hell - just make it everything I like! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I polled the family tonight (minus Diana, who conned my folks into paying for yet another week at camp; this time canoeing in the BWCA):

Me: Sweet corn late July to mid-September. Rest of the year is BACON, BACON AND MORE BACON.

Paul: Steak.

Heidi: Cheese. She loves all kinds of cheese. She had her first cheese (bleu) at 4 months of age and never looked back.

Peter: Toast with butter. But, he indicated "real butter. Not that stuff from Cub (our big chain) in the waxed paper. Butter like Hope Butter." (Hope Butter is local butter, cultured, not shipped more than 2 hours from the dairy.

I believe these are all worthy choices.

When pressed to add something that wasn't laden with fat, everyone said "really good watermelon with seeds you can spit" and "peaches that drip down your arms when you bite into them."

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Eggs. Any way. Boiled scrambled fried poached. I never get bored.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa