• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When Last did a Recipe Surprise you?

maggiethecat

We were veering dangerously on topic over at MatthewB's bio, and it got me thinking...

Both Matthew and I made the Pasta with Mint and Parmesan from The Minimalist column in this Wednesday's New York Times. Both of us did it because mint is about to choke out all other life forms in our gardens, lawns, and in my case, between the pavers on the patio. Neither of us thought that we'd be knocked out by such a simple-seeming recipe: a big handful of mint, butter, S&P, parmesan, pasta. I added a handful of baby peas for the heck of it.

I was impressed. Matthew's gonna make it again this weekend. For such simplicity, this dish packs enormous flavour and, I thought, subtlety.

When was the last time a simple-seeming recipe knocked your socks off?

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Sounds good, our garden area (now a jungle of weeds) is overgrown with mint.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

When was the last time a simple-seeming recipe knocked your socks off?

Wednesday night with the above.

And also the dish with it--lettuce & cabbage salad. The vinegarette did it though. Standard but then added a bunch of garlic--instead of the usual shallots--and three huge basil leaves. Processed it.

Great simple summer meal.

The Stroganoff recipe from Cook's Illustrated (can't remember if it was from the mag or a book). They stripped all the extra stuff that has accreted around this concotion over the years, and ended up with straightforward, enriched saute with surprising sublety. It reminided me why the dish became a classic.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Recently took some lump blue crab meat, seasoned with salt, white pepper, cayenne and nutmeg. I drizzled it with heavy cream and ran it under the broiler. Very simple and one of the most delicious things I have done in a long time.

edit: I made it up. It wasn't a "recipe" but my current fascination with gratin in my LeCreuset with heavy cream.

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

edit: I made it up. It wasn't a "recipe" but my current fascination with gratin in my LeCreuset with heavy cream.

Well, it's a recipe now! Cream, cream, cream. Yum.

Arch: We made the Strog too, so it must have been the mag. And I agree with you wholeheartedly. It was simple, and surprisingly good.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Well, it's a recipe now! Cream, cream, cream. Yum.

Arch: We made the Strog too, so it must have been the mag. And I agree with you wholeheartedly. It was simple, and surprisingly good.

I'm just glad there are still some things you like to eat. The "things I don't get" thread was worring me.

I'm just glad there are still some things you like to eat. The "things I don't get" thread was worring me.

You're worried because I don't like PBJs and cottage cheese? Speaking of "simple" and knockout, your Deconstructed Gazpacho Bruschette certainly qualify.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

You're worried because I don't like PBJs and cottage cheese? Speaking of "simple" and knockout, your Deconstructed Gazpacho Bruschette certainly qualify.

No, it was the hot dogs, bologna, oysters w/out tabasco, grilled corn, ...

The sopa alentejana that Eric Malson made at our house last weekend. I have to admit, as I watched him make it (through my boozy haze), I thought "this will never work"--now I'm craving it. I mean, CRAVING.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

The sopa alentejana that Eric Malson made at our house last weekend.  I have to admit, as I watched him make it (through my boozy haze), I thought "this will never work"--now I'm craving it.  I mean, CRAVING.

K

The craving is due to "state-dependent learning." Sober up & the craving will dissipate.

Edited by MatthewB (log)

Maybe I just like pasta and simple, but the first time I tried that Roman late night, had too much to drink classic--spaghettini sauced with a bunch of salt and garlic cooked in olive oil and a handful of chopped parsley, I thought it was pure genius on a plate.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Maybe I just like pasta and simple, but the first time I tried that Roman late night, had too much to drink classic--spaghettini sauced with a bunch of salt and garlic cooked in olive oil and a handful of chopped parsley, I thought it was pure genius on a plate.

Dude, you forgot the anchovies. :angry:

I'd always liked the idea of Alfredo sauce, but seldom the reality....usually too pasty or floury. Then I came across a recipe somewhere that was simpler than anything else I'd tried, and....bingo! Saute some minced onion in butter until soft, than add heavy cream, bring to a boil, and let it simmer slowly and reduce for 20 or 25 minutes. (A bit of grated nutmeg at the end is good with this, then grated cheese.)

It may not be an "authentic" Alfredo sauce (whatever that is....and from what I hear occasionally, it probably isn't), but it's the best cream sauce for pasta I've ever tasted.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

A recipe I got out of a Wine Lovers cookbook was great. It was a mushroom risotto with roasted shallots. I had some trepidation over making risotto, for reasons unknown, really, and man was it (making the risotto, EASY. And a knockout for flavor, too. It is now comfortably in my cooking repertoire. heh heh

A recipe I got out of a Wine Lovers cookbook was great. It was a mushroom risotto with roasted shallots. I had some trepidation over making risotto, for reasons unknown, really, and man was it (making the risotto, EASY. And a knockout for flavor, too. It is now comfortably in my cooking repertoire. heh heh

If it's the same Wine Lovers cookbook that my mother received a few years ago (recognizing that there are many many out there), it also has the absolutely best ever prime rib recipe. Or at least the best prime rib gravy recipe. Not sure prime rib itself can be said to have a recipe.

Dude, you forgot the anchovies. :angry:

The version I tried (from Marcella, I think) didn't mention any little fishes, which is odd, because I think garum, if that is the right spelling, was an old Roman flavoring. I'll throw a couple in next time.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Sober up & the craving will dissipate.

Why on earth would I want to do that? You expect me to face the day SOBER? :blink:

Sadist.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Does fresh picked sweet corn, boiled but not adorned with anything because it is so wonderful count as a "recipe?"

Back to the Bittman recipe; what kind of mint did you use?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'd always liked the idea of Alfredo sauce, but seldom the reality....usually too pasty or floury.  Then I came across a recipe somewhere that was simpler than anything else I'd tried, and....bingo!  Saute some minced onion in butter until soft, than add heavy cream, bring to a boil, and let it simmer slowly and reduce for 20 or 25 minutes.  (A bit of grated nutmeg at the end is good with this, then grated cheese.)

It may not be an "authentic" Alfredo sauce (whatever that is....and from what I hear occasionally, it probably isn't), but it's the best cream sauce for pasta I've ever tasted.

The alfredo sauce I make is made with a cream cheese, butter, parmesan and milk. The cream cheese gives it a zip I don't find in the usual bland alfredo sauces.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

This may be old hat to some of you, but I think Jean-Georges Vongerichten's recipes are pure brilliance.

1 bottle red wine, reduced to 1 cup

carrots and water, cooked and pureed

S&P

Here's one I adapted from Mark Bittman:

salmon filet

S&P

cumin

brown sugar

Season lightly, pat on brown sugar heavily. Grill skin side down over alder wood with cover on. Do not flip. Remove at 125 degrees internal temperature. This blew the doors off everything else we had slaved over that day.

~Tad

The Stroganoff recipe from Cook's Illustrated (can't remember if it was from the mag or a book).

Yep. That's a good one.

It was in the magazine.

Noise is music. All else is food.

We were veering dangerously on topic over at MatthewB's bio, and it got me thinking...

Both Matthew and I made the Pasta with Mint and Parmesan from The Minimalist column in this Wednesday's New York Times.  Both of us did it because mint is about to choke out all other life forms in our gardens, lawns, and in my case, between the pavers on the patio.  Neither of us thought that we'd be knocked out by such a simple-seeming recipe: a big handful of mint, butter, S&P, parmesan, pasta. I added a handful of baby peas for the heck of it.

I was impressed.  Matthew's gonna make it again this weekend.  For such simplicity, this dish packs enormous flavour and, I thought, subtlety.

Such raves and no link to the recipe? click here or here* for the article.

And, click here or here* for the recipe.

*Two different links that lead to the same place, in case one expires before the other.

Such raves and no link to the recipe? click here or here* for the article.

And, click here or here* for the recipe.

*Two different links that lead to the same place, in case one expires before the other.

Blush. :wub: Thanks for the links, Rachel.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com