• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When Last did a Recipe Surprise you?

maggiethecat

Wonderful dish though perhaps not quite as astounding as the recipe that started this thread. (Let's see what others think.)

A couple of notes . . .

How do you keep chopped spinach from clumping? :unsure:

Next time, I think I'd add a bit more work to this & deep-fry some thinly sliced shallots in peanut oil while waiting for the water to boil. I think the dish needs some shallots & crunchy fried shallots seem right to me. (Just distribute over the top after plating.) Thoughts?

How do you keep chopped spinach from clumping? :unsure:

Pre-cooking, I'd wash and spin-dry before chopping rather than after. During cooking, I'd try to stir constantly. (I don't know if that'd help, but it sounds right.)

Actually, I wouldn't cook the pasta and spinach together at all. I'd drain the pasta, return it to the pot with a little of the cooking water, then add and toss the ingredients one at a time -- the butter until it melts, the spinach until it wilts, then the cheese.

Crispy shallots sound great.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Matthew, would the recipe work with chard?  I was thinking it would provide a more bitter counterpoint to the bland pasta and rich cheese.

Sounds like a great idea!

BTW, if you don't want to bother with crispy shallots, do you have any Durkee's onion rings in your pantry? :biggrin:

We had the blue cheese (Maytag) pasta tonight, to good reviews all around.

Clumping is a definite problem. Constant stirring was useless, and only partly because the spinach cooks for a mere thirty seconds. I think the problem is here: Bittman calls for a rough chop, which is hopelessly vague. A rough chop for, say, onions, is quite different to my mind than a rough chop for spinach. I'm all for rusticity and artistic interpretation, but sometimes precision must be given its due. I think to be successful, we're talking about 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces. If you want it folksy, tear it by hand.

I employed, with minimum shame, the French-fried onion option. Frankly, I don't think deep-fried shallots could have been better. Though perhaps a comic gambit, a great idea nevertheless, Matthew.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Dave, I browned some shallots, then sauteed the spinach in the same pan and still had a clumping problem. I think it would be less perceptable with a shorter pasta, something like orrichiette (sp?).

We used gorgonzola, which was definitely underwhelming. Next time I will get some Roquefort and see if that improves things. It also needed some brightness, like a squeeze of lemon.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I employed, with minimum shame, the French-fried onion option. Frankly, I don't think deep-fried shallots could have been better. Though perhaps a comic gambit, a great idea nevertheless, Matthew.

Actually, no comic gambit on my part.

Employed properly, French-fried onions are a component of any serious cook's arsenal. (Well, not *any* but you get my drift.) :wink:

Thanksgiving's coming! They're on sale, and they're everywhere. What do you suppose the shelf life is? Can I lay in a year's supply just for this dish? :laugh:

edit: yes, a squeeze of lemon. Wine might be better, but I can't think of a way to incorporate it and burn off some alcohol, too.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news: I solved the spinach-clumping problem. I bought a bag of frozen chopped spinach, nuked it just enough to defrost, then squeezed the water out of it. When the pasta hit the "Done minus one minute" stage, I dumped the spinach in. It spread out immediately, forming a green layer reminiscent of a fertile swamp (in a good way, of course). I drained the pot, poured the contents over the butter and cheese, and distributed the spinach with a minimum of fuss.

Bad news (or maybe not): the quality of the cheese makes all the difference in this dish. The first time, I used Maytag, and the dish was a unanimous hit. This time, I saved $1.20 a pound by buying Bel Gioso. The dish was panned. I'm sure it wasn't the change in spinach, because everyone complained that while the pasta seemed to be properly sauced, it simply didn't taste like cheese. My total savings with the less expensive item were 30 cents. Not worth it; lesson learned.

Lemon juice was a nice additional touch, though it couldn't save the dish.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I am completely cool with French's fried onions for this dish.

It's a good thing, too, because there isn't an Asian market within 20 minutes of here. (You haven't had bad Chinese food unless you've had it in the north Atlanta suburbs.)

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I had some incredible heirloom tomatoes last night. Try a simple combination

of rasberry vinaigrette with hazelnut oil, and herb, all a good combo.

For dessert: Best tasting blueberries with simple cream: heavy whipping cream,

vanilla paste, and sweetener. Just a couple ingredients make it. I've got tons of these, and will continue to post. :biggrin:

I am completely cool with French's fried onions for this dish.

It's a good thing, too, because there isn't an Asian market within 20 minutes of here. (You haven't had bad Chinese food unless you've had it in the north Atlanta suburbs.)

Awww. :sad: Maybe I'll ship you a couple of jars.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme