• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The tap water appreciation topic

fresco

New Yorkers are justly proud of their drinking water. The stuff that comes out of our taps in Toronto is generally not wonderful, and in unseasonably hot summers has an unpleasant vegetal taste. What's the best and worst that you have tried?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

best: NYC, and where i live now.

worst: philly. sorry guys.

i should note that i always thought hoboken water was great, and i drank it for about 15 years. but after i started drinking bottled water i realized that it had a bit more flavor than i thought. still good when filtered though.

Edited by tommy (log)

It's OK here in Chicago. At least where I live, in Logan Square.

But at my friends' house in Lakeview--man! That shit is nasty!

Noise is music. All else is food.

Big ups to the Midwest....at least in Louisville. No problem drinking it..

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Worst: West Texas.  Nothing else I've had comes even close.  Lots of gypsum and sulphur!  Mmmmmmm!

Nothing worse than Texas well water, and no amount of filtering can fix it. Hot water stinks, cold water tastes terrible, and shower heads have to be replaced every 18 months from the gunk. Great memories.

Live in Cupertino CA (South of San Francisco) right now and the water smells funny, but not Texas funny. I cook with it, but use bottled for coffee. Some things you just don't risk.

Wost has to be south florida cause it tastes nasty, and on long island. Long Island simply because it WILL kill you.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Houston/League City/Clear Lake aren't too bad. Except that every now and then in the summer they whack it with the chlorine and you have to "let it breathe". It is certainly good enough that I don't buy bottled water. And I drink a LOT of water... It is a promise I made my kidney stones.

The worst in the world has to be West Texas. Thankfully, I only had to visit.

Then there is New Orleans... You get whatever gets dumped in the river. It was nasty for days after a creosote spill. It tasted like someone had dumped lysol in it. Then, if they test the fire hydrants in your neighborhood, you get mud for a few days from the bumps to the system.

The best of where I have lived has to be Hammond, Louisiana. It is artesian from several hundred feet down, very soft, and delicious. The well I had on my property there (not that deep nor artesian) was from a white sand strata and was so good, family and friends from New Orleans always came with dozens of gallon jugs to fill.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

NYC is deeee-lish. No filter. Oslo is excellent too.

Provincetown has been my worst, I think. In the 70s or 80s, there was a gasoline spill (or something), and it tasted like (in the shower or brushing your teeth as we didn't drink the shit) gasoline, chlorine and sulfer? Maybe throw in some salt there. Burning eyes in the shower. The memories!

Economy, In. Yellow outa da spigot, then 5 minutes later, look at the thick layer of sediment on the bottom. Once, during a budget crunch, the small pharmaceuticals company I worked for ran out of distilled water for the cooling system on the packaging machine. The big boss (bright, but not a lot of mechanical sense) comes in and fills up the system with tap water. Ten minutes later, production is halted for the next four hours as a coworker and myself use compressed air to blow all the gunk out of the cooling system. Never even considered drinking that water, though the big boss, who was from Nigeria, claimed it was better than anything they'd had back home. They were still walking to the river with pails.

Seattle: Usually excellent. The entire watershed is off-limit to people (though not logging).

Philadelphia: an acquired taste. Actually, there are three sources, one from the Schuylkill (drinkable), two from the Delaware (nasty).

Third world countries: well, yes almost any american tap water is better than that. At the mouth of the Mekong, they pull the water out of the river into a barrel, then let it sit with some alum for a few days to help the, uh, sediment settle out.

best:  NYC, and where i live now.

worst:  philly.  sorry guys.

best: most of NYC

worst: Staten Island. Last time I was there I was in a diner where our water had white swirly stuff in it which took about 5 minutes to spin down and dissolve, and it tasted like raw sewage. When we complained they shrugged and said "well that's what all the water around here is like".

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

best:  NYC, and where i live now.

worst:  philly.  sorry guys.

best: most of NYC

worst: Staten Island. Last time I was there I was in a diner where our water had white swirly stuff in it which took about 5 minutes to spin down and dissolve, and it tasted like raw sewage. When we complained they shrugged and said "well that's what all the water around here is like".

uh, tommy boy,

from what i see about N'awlins, Texas, and Long Island, perhaps Philly ain't quite so bad. maybe only fifth or sixth worst.

:biggrin:

It's not as good as I remember as a kid, that's defintely true.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

New York tap water was much better back in the 70s, but the worst water I've had the misfortune to taste is in Santa Barbara. Ugh!!!!!!

Michael aka "Pan"

I drink carbonated fresh mountain spring water straight from the tap! The water here in Juneau is quite nice but we have very fizzy water these days due to mineral deposits on the city's filter screens. It aerates the water so it comes out like Alka Seltzer.

The worst was at Camp Sackajewea. It was like drinking liquid liver.

9 out of 10 dentists recommend wild Alaska salmon.

New York's tap water is good because New York's water supply is so fantastic. The artesian well system up in the Adirondacks produces water that's as good as any fancy bottle water in the world. The water at the source hasn't changed, but what happens to it as it makes its way to my home has. There's noticeably much more stuff in the water now than there used to be, I think mostly chlorine. As a result, a few years ago we started employing a Brita pitcher. My understanding, also, is that the farther uptown you live the more of the stuff is in your water because they have to add enough chemicals to treat the water all the way to the bottom of Manhattan. So those who live down in the Financial District notice the treatment less than I do on the Upper East Side.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

California's central valley has pretty atrocious water all-around.

When I visited midtown Manhattan a few years ago, I was incredibly impressed and never thirsty.

Kelli

We used to have a weekend/summer house up in Rhinebeck, NY. This is relatively near where the city gets its water, I think. Now that was amazing water. My friend still has a house right near there, in Red Hook, and he actually brings a few dozen empty bottles up there every weekend, fills them from his well, and uses that as his drinking water the rest of the week. Sometimes I have some and it really is substantially better than what comes out of the tap here. It's also somewhat better than the Brita water, because I think the Brita, in addition to removing the bad taste, removes some of the good.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I can't really comment on the tap water on NYC since it has been ages since I've been there. But I hope to sample some Sassy Sliders, with a side of tap when I get there in November.

On a sidenote, one thing that pisses me off are these articles in the trades that highlight the medicinal qualities of certain bottled waters. Ie. Pelligrino says a 1L bottle supplies a daily supply of calcium. Um, that's a lotta water.

Btw, I thought the tap water in NYC was fine. Mucho better than LA. Or Chicago even, gah!

Edited by DVSDave (log)