• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Combinations

dave88

As a child, saltines dipped into Bosco chocolate syrup (Blech!); as an adult, patty sausages dragged thru real maple syrup. Yum! :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Banana & mayonnaise sandwiches with black pepper

Black-eyed peas with mayonnaise

Cold (or even pantry-temp) green peas mixed with mayo, dill, & chopped onion

Cinnamon graham crackers with cream cheese

Triscuit crackers topped with a pepper (jalapeno or banana rings) and a square of sharp white cheddar & broiled in the oven

As a kid -

really hot thin pablum with alphabits cereal

raw rolled oats with milk

cream of tomato soup with tons of smashed saltines

grated cheddar cheese with catalina dressing

I've seen two responses here I'd like to endorse as weird combinations yet indescribably delicious as well....

1. The peanut butter, banana, and mayonnaise sandwich on white bread

2. Sausage patties (or links) or bacon covered with maple syrup

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Peanut butter, onion and lettuce sandwiches, salt on mashed fresh strawberries, pepper on icecream, french fies and mayonaise :biggrin:

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

Large curd cottage cheese (has to be the large curd because it is less salty), possibly "thinned" with just a tiny bit of extra-heavy cream, so that barbecue potato chips, either Wavy Lays or Ruffles ( unless I can find the Michael Seasons Thick and Crunchy Mesquite barbecue chips) can be dipped into the cc so one gets a bite of cottage cheese with a bite of barbecue potato chip. 

I tend to eat plain potato chips with cottage cheese rather than flavored.

Continuing with thoughts of cottage cheese, another of my favorite "Huh?" combos is Spaghettios with a dollop of cottage cheese.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I've seen two responses here I'd like to endorse as weird combinations yet indescribably delicious as well....

2.  Sausage patties (or links) or bacon covered with maple syrup

Bacon or sausage with maple syrup is classic... Pretty much every Canadian I've ever known does this. Even better, seared foie gras laquered with maple syrup served with a fried quail egg. Always gets good reviews from the customers.

movie popcorn with a box of milkduds thrown in and allowed to soften up. In the dark you try to feel around for the gooey stuff and get some with the hot popcorn. Ymmm...

better with rasinettes!!!!!!

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Almost burnt English muffin, topped with a thick layer of mayo, and a fat slab of perfectly ripe summer tomato. Salt, pepper.

Muffin has to be just this side of black, though.

Dollops of tuna salad, sandwiched between pickle chips.

Salami rolled around a chunk of cream cheese.

Liverwurst and pickle relish, on crackers.

Pickles on anything with barbecue sauce.

On the same note, pickles on top of baked beans. Raw onion, too.

Oatmeal cookies dunked in crummy canned chicken or onion soup.

My husband likes (and used to buy the stuff, strictly to eat this glop...) Chunk of cheddar cheese, with a gob of canned chocolate frosting. I tried converting him to Nutella, but he wasn't having it.

ETA: Almost forgot!!! Any salty snack with some sort of cheesedust, like Cheetos, Cheese Doodles, or cheese popcorn, served with hot cocoa. Milk will do, in a pinch, but hot cocoa is better. I picked this up when I worked midnights at 7-11. It was breakfast for me, many mornings.

Edited by Lilija (log)

A couple of combos that are not mainstream for me are

Peanut butter on whole wheat with a slice of American cheese. Some how the peanut butter/American cheese combo just goes well together.

Cottage cheese with a good drizzle, ah pour, of extra virgin olive oil and fresh cracked black pepper.

• 3 months later...

I am suprised that after the length of time this topic has been running, nobody has mentioned two of my favourites:

A slice of freshly baked, crusty white bread, with a thin slice (and I do mean slice!) of ice cold butter laid on top, sprinkled with sea salt , or,

A hot freshly toasted English Crumpet, dripping molten butter down your chin as you take your first bite.

Simple and delicious!

"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"

Nungkysman: Food for the Body and the Soul.

Slices of green mangoes with sauteed shrimp paste

Green mangoes dipped in soy-sauce/vinegar chili dip

Slices of turnip slathered with sauteed shrimp paste

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Beef guacamole burrito

leverpostej with bacon, mushrooms and crispy fried onions

tourtiere with green catsup

frikadeller with remoulade and crispy fried onions

pan amb tomaquet