• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza in New Jersey

thereuare

i went back to Kinchely's last night (586 N. Frankling Turnpike in Ramsey) after a 10 year hiatus.  wow, it was just as good as i remembered.<p>the thin crust pizza is delicious.  it's tough to compare it to anything else, even my favorite Brooklyn's Pizza.  it's a pub atmosphere, but can be lots of fun if that's the mood you're in.<p>as an aside, the pizza reminded me a bit of the bar pies at Lady Janes in hoboken (14th and hudson).  i forgot just how good those bar pies at lady jane's are!

I can't understand how anyone likes Kinchleys. The crust is good, like matzah or something, but the quality of the sauce is so can like. Hunts, i suspect?

The cheese is not good either...well to each his own

I have to agree that Brooklyn coal burning in hackensack and ridgewood is the BEST . The freshest ingredients make a real big difference. I don't even think Kinchleys knows what fresh basil is?

Its 5 minutes from my house and i wouldn't ever go there...

By the way, if you keep driving up Franklin turnpike a bit on the left side there's a new restaurant used to be the famous 'Nobodys inn"

Now its Roxanne's and they have great brick oven pizza as well as decent food for that area....much better than kinchleys

Yes, I see what you're saying but their sauce is bad too.

The best pizza in NJ is at Delorenzos on Hudson Street in Trenton. No contest. Crisp tasty crust, crushed tomatos, not too much cheese. The garlic is hand chopped, the pepperoni hand cut into thick slices. three kinds of peppers are available. Chunks not slices of sausage.

Well worth the inevitable line to get in, lack of a bathroom and cash only. 3-10 only except lunch on Friday.

The best pizza in NJ is at Delorenzos on Hudson Street in Trenton.  No contest.  Crisp tasty crust, crushed tomatos, not too much cheese.  The garlic is hand chopped, the pepperoni hand cut into thick slices. three kinds of peppers are available.  Chunks not slices of sausage.

Well worth the inevitable line to get in, lack of a  bathroom and cash only.  3-10 only except lunch on Friday.

And they're closed on Mondays.

I had to drive right though Trenton today on the way back from a friend's. It took every fiber of my being not to go get a pie at DeLorenzo's as I was all of about 5 minutes away, but it was just me, and I'm told the pies don't travel well.

<sigh>

Got to get a gang of intrepid PA-gulleteers to make the drive again soon. I can almost taste the clam pie now...:drool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

if you're saying that you don't like the sauce they use well then there's simply no debating that. alhtough, i've never picked up a tinny flavor in the sauce or any sort of overwhelming "canned" taste.

it should be noted that Hunts tomato sauce contains no additives. it's basically tomatoes and water. if you're saying that by virtue of using canned sauces Kinchley's is producing a somehow inferior product then i'd ask what places use fresh tomatoes instead of canned. i'm guessing there aren't many.

Edited by tommy (log)

I was looking for someone who delivers in my area. We were told about Villa Victoria in Montclair. We ordered a thin crust shrimp pizza that we thought was very good. I will definitely order from them again.

The best pizza in NJ is at Delorenzos on Hudson Street in Trenton.  No contest.  Crisp tasty crust, crushed tomatos, not too much cheese.  The garlic is hand chopped, the pepperoni hand cut into thick slices. three kinds of peppers are available.  Chunks not slices of sausage.

Well worth the inevitable line to get in, lack of a  bathroom and cash only.  3-10 only except lunch on Friday.

I had to drive right though Trenton today on the way back from a friend's. It took every fiber of my being not to go get a pie at DeLorenzo's as I was all of about 5 minutes away, but it was just me, and I'm told the pies don't travel well.

<sigh>

Got to get a gang of intrepid PA-gulleteers to make the drive again soon. I can almost taste the clam pie now...:drool:

Hey Katie:

Although nowhere near as good as fresh out of Gary's oven, a little known tip I got from him is to heat up leftover pie in a cast iron skillet using just a little EVOO. It really does work.

I'm in for the pizza run, let me know when.

Jeff

I didn't read through the 9 pages of replies so it may have already been written about, however, we recently discovered that LOMBARDI'S in cedar grove has some very good pizza. It is very thin crust, similar to brick oven and may even be, but I don't know what ovens they use for sure. It is a small town bar with a decent number of tables, very family friendly though, with 6 TVs.

<sigh>

Hey Katie:

Although nowhere near as good as fresh out of Gary's oven, a little known tip I got from him is to heat up leftover pie in a cast iron skillet using just a little EVOO. It really does work.

I'm in for the pizza run, let me know when.

Jeff

• 1 month later...
Kinchley's sucks.  They use canned tomato.  Their pizza is among the lower half of all I've ever eaten.  It surprises me that Kinchley's is even discussed on this forum.

RIGHT ON...KINCHLEYS IS 2 MINUTES FROM ME AND I WOULDN'T GO THERE IF IT WERE FREE

I think what u meant is what they use is cans of hunts tomato sauce.

The idea of san marzano tomatoes vs the reg tomatoes is not even a subject worth talking about in reference to Kinchleys....

UG UG UG

Pizza in Northern NJ - thin crust

Espositos in Mahwah - get the grandma's pizza is a thin square pizza with the best tomato sauce

Kinchleys -

Nellies - great thin crust, we like the sausage, garlic and hot peppers

Brooklyn Pizza is available in Ridgewood

For a great slice try LA GONDOLA in Ramsey......

Best around here.

if you're saying that you don't like the sauce they use well then there's simply no debating that. alhtough, i've never picked up a tinny flavor in the sauce or any sort of overwhelming "canned" taste.

it should be noted that Hunts tomato sauce contains no additives. it's basically tomatoes and water. if you're saying that by virtue of using canned sauces Kinchley's is producing a somehow inferior product then i'd ask what places use fresh tomatoes instead of canned. i'm guessing there aren't many.

I was just going to say, Hunt's is a pretty straightforward crushed tomato and tomato paste product that for the most part, comes from California tomatoes. Fundamentally, there's nothing wrong with using this (and I beleive Kinchleys uses Redpack, which is a perfectly suitable product as well) for pasta sauce or even pizza. Sure, its not San Marzano from the Campanian coast, but I find that even domestic canned tomatoes are better than using some of the so-called "fresh" tomatoes that end up in the supermarket, even during the summer. At least with canned tomatoes you're talking about tomatoes that have been picked when they are ripe and then canned in a single day process. I know plenty of respectable restaurants that used canned tomatoes. 90 percent of your typical mom and pop red sauce Italian places in Jersey use them.

I for one, really like Kinchley's pizza. And as another said here, they are bar pies, which are of their own genre.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I was just going to say, Hunt's is a pretty straightforward crushed tomato and tomato paste product that for the most part, comes from California tomatoes. Fundamentally, there's nothing wrong with using this (and I beleive Kinchleys uses Redpack, which is a perfectly suitable product as well) for pasta sauce or even pizza. Sure, its not San Marzano from the Campanian coast, but I find that even domestic canned tomatoes are better than using some of the so-called "fresh" tomatoes that end up in the supermarket, even during the summer. At least with canned tomatoes you're talking about tomatoes that have been picked when they are ripe and then canned in a single day process. I know plenty of respectable restaurants that used canned tomatoes. 90 percent of your typical mom and pop red sauce Italian places in Jersey use them.

I for one, really like Kinchley's pizza. And as another said here, they are bar pies, which are of their own genre.

I've never beeen to Kinchley's so can't offer mu opinion but, I think that most great pizzerias including the venerable Delorenzos on Hudson Street In Trenton use canned tomatoes. And Jason, they in fact use red pack along with an incredible California hand ground tomato called Six-In-One. They combine the two giving their sauce the awesome sweet flavor it imparts.

FYI, I buy six in one by the case (24 to a case) and have bought #10 cans for my home sauce. I combine with a great San Marzano plum called Graziela. I buy my stuff right down the street from Delortenzo's in Trenton at a wholsale trade only place.

I've never heard of Six-In-One before. I'll have to look for it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Once you do find it (my house currently holds 70 plus cans for emergencies!) you won't use anything else. This is the sweetest canned tomato I've ever had.

When I'm away on business, my wife sautees some garlic and oil and dumps in the 6 in 1 for a perfect and quick sauce. I do prefer to mix the San Marzanos in for texture and enhanced flavor along with fresh basil from our herb garden or parsely.

Suggest you look at restaurant wholesalers as this is not typically a retail item. I had to drive about 40 minutes to Chalfont PA to find Bova Food Distributors. I was getting them in Trenton at PJ Foods on Hudson just up from Delorenzos until they stopped carrying the small cans. The #10's are a hassle for small quantities.

Let me know how you make out, and failing that, if you're in the neighborhood, I can certainly get you some.

Jeff

One of these days, when I have the time, I'm going to park my car outside my favorite pizzeria (Suvios in Morristown) and wait for the truck to arrive so I can find out the name of their distributor and then research the brand of tomatoes they use. I'm 99% certain their sauce is tomatoes, salt, sugar, fresh basil and fresh garlic. Once I get the brand of tomatoes I think the code should be quite crackable.

You're right, maybe they don't use Hunts. It just isn't a very good sauce I don't think. I haven't been there in a long , long time because I wasn't impressed.

I think you have misunderstood me.

I think there is nothing wrong with using canned tomatoes, I, myself, being a gourmet cook and healthy cooking teacher would not use any canned sauces in my food except for Muir Glen organic tomato sauce. My daughter loves that one.

I cook all my tomato sauces with canned tomatoes and use either san marzano or muir glen products. My fresh tomatoes I travel to farms for, and they have to be red or they don't make it to my house.

I am simply stating that I don't like Kinchley's and I don't think they use the best ingredients. I would never expect a pizza place to use fresh tomatoes, thats crazy!

Once you do find it (my house currently holds 70 plus cans for emergencies!) you won't use anything else. This is the sweetest canned tomato I've ever had.

When I'm away on business, my wife sautees some garlic and oil and dumps in the 6 in 1 for a perfect and quick sauce. I do prefer to mix the San Marzanos in for texture and enhanced flavor along with fresh basil from our herb garden or parsely.

Suggest you look at restaurant wholesalers as this is not typically a retail item. I had to drive about 40 minutes to Chalfont PA to find Bova Food Distributors. I was getting them in Trenton at PJ Foods on Hudson just up from Delorenzos until they stopped carrying the small cans. The #10's are a hassle for small quantities.

Let me know how you make out, and failing that, if you're in the neighborhood, I can certainly get you some.

Jeff

I never have seen these and I will now look for them! Sound great , and so does your recipe. Lately I've been roasting split n.j. plum tomatoes, with a splash of aged balsamic and chopped thyme, chopping them up and mixing with extra virgin olive oil, garlic, and lots of basil from my garden. I love this time of year for that!

I never have seen these and I will now look for them!  Sound great , and so does your recipe.  Lately I've been roasting split n.j.  plum tomatoes, with a splash of aged balsamic and chopped thyme, chopping them up and mixing with extra virgin olive oil, garlic, and lots of basil from my garden.  I love this time of year for that!

Not sure where you live but these tomatoes are worth the extra effort of sourcing. As I mentioned, I drove 40 plus minutes and stocked up by getting 3 cases of them.

I will add to my previous post here that I recently tried the La Fede regular tomatoes and found them quite good. I have put an order in for the San Marzano plum tomatos (although the regular ones were as sweet and looked like plum tomatoes to me) which come 12 to a case. The importer/distributor is Cannillo’s

Importer and distributor of La Fede brand products since 1936. Contact: Michael Cannillo, Cannillo Brothers LLC, 367 Harrison St., Passaic, NJ 07055; 973.778.5580; Fax: 973.778.3836; email: mcannillo@aol.com; www.lafede.com

I bought some fresh speck from the new Dibruno brothers shop in Philly and used these tomatoes to make an awesome simple pasta sauce. Speck (smoked proscuitto) sliced thick and diced, some eevo, garlic and fresh basil from the garden again. Wonderful sauce paired with spaghettini.

• 3 months later...

I finally went to Conte's in Princeton; their pizzas are excellent. I still prefer DeLorenzo’s Hudson St however it is unfair to compare them because each restaurant serves a different pie. Hats off to Conte’s, great place!!

:D

I have always been big fan of Conte's pizza. It is execellent and Conte's is a lot easier to get a seat than DeLorenzo's on Hudson Street. We have not attempted to eat at DeLorenzo's for a long time. We will return in milder weather.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

My family was just discussing the place the other day...

Does anyone remember Nola's in Emerson (just north of the Dairy Queen on Kinderkamack Road?)

We used to go there as kids more than 25 years ago and Lou in the kitchen would give us rolls of lifesavers. Anyway, they had wafter thin pizza... thinner than Kinchley's, and was fantastic. They were also serving bar sized pies before anyone else that i know of. I remember my family would take others there and they always thoguht the bar pie was 'cute' as they had never seen a pizza that small. "Cute" or not... i don't think we ever left a slice go uneaten there.

Last i heard this place is now a thai restaurant, before that some pub with a golf theme (iirc). However, before posting this i did a quick google search and it appears to now be a cigar bar/restaurant combo and gone back to their original name:

Nola's

Wonder if they're also serving pizza :unsure:

Edited by thereuare (log)

Funny I don't recall seeing it... I do see Marra's and also Rosa's (which isn't bad) in emerson, and then City Pizza? but I think that's in westwood at that point. If anyone knows if it's good or knows about it (or any OTHER good ones up this way please let us ALL know!) Thanks. :biggrin:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Hub and i have tried a few pizza places in Bayonne. Our favorites are Pompei for take away and Giovanni's for either take out or eat in.

Xander: How exactly do you make cereal?

Buffy: Ah. You put the box near the milk. I saw it on the Food Channel.

-BtVS

My family was just discussing the place the other day...

Does anyone remember Nola's in Emerson (just north of the Dairy Queen on Kinderkamack Road?)

We used to go there as kids more than 25 years ago and Lou in the kitchen would give us rolls of lifesavers.  Anyway, they had wafter thin pizza... thinner than Kinchley's, and was fantastic.  They were also serving bar sized pies before anyone else that i know of.  I remember my family would take others there and they always thoguht the bar pie was 'cute' as they had never seen a pizza that small.  "Cute" or not... i don't think we ever left a slice go uneaten there.

Last i heard this place is now a thai restaurant, before that some pub with a golf theme (iirc).  However, before posting this i did a quick google search and it appears to now be a cigar bar/restaurant combo and gone back to their original name:

Nola's

Wonder if they're also serving pizza :unsure:

It's not Nola's; it's Pimaan, the Thai restaurant.