• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza in New Jersey

thereuare

MMmmmmMM I love Pimaan... but back to the thread before I "hijack" another (winking at someone) Any good/great pizza places in or near the westwood/rivervale/montvale/park ridge area? (preferably delivery?) Thanks! :laugh:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Last i heard this place is now a thai restaurant, before that some pub with a golf theme (iirc).  However, before posting this i did a quick google search and it appears to now be a cigar bar/restaurant combo and gone back to their original name:

Nola's

Guess i had the order wrong:

Nola's >> Golf Theme Pub >> Nola's >> Pimaan

Looking forward to summer and some Mack and Mancos down the Jersey shore.

aaronwcpa, where abouts in Princeton is Conte's? I'll have to give it a try when I return to school.

It is at 339 Witherspoon Street, probably close to a mile away from Nassau Street.

They are usually very busy on weekends and it is best to arrive early if you want to avoid a long wait.

Their phone number is 609 921-8041.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

• 1 year later...

Somewhere I read a mention of Vic's Italian Restaurant in Bradley Beach, and recall something like "best pizza in NJ." I think I read it in NJ Mag, but I could be wrong. Has anyone been there? If so, how is it? The place is apparently running since 1947, so they must be doing something right.

Thanks,

:Dave

http://vicspizza.com/

:D

Somewhere I read a mention of Vic's Italian Restaurant in Bradley Beach, and recall something like "best pizza in NJ."  I think I read it in NJ Mag, but I could be wrong.  Has anyone been there?  If so, how is it?  The place is apparently running since 1947, so they must be doing something right.

Thanks,

:Dave

http://vicspizza.com/

I'm in the extreme minority about Vics and the other local "standout" Pete and Eldas. I don't like their pizzas. To me we are not talking thin crust but dried out brittle crust - think pizza matzoh. For true thin crust my faves are DeLorenzos and Una Pizza Napoletana (formelry Pt. Pleasant and now in the village).

I had pizza at Pete & Elda's on Saturday night - crust was neither brittle nor dried out, and the pizza was delicious. Wish they had better salads, but Bass on tap and great pizza (crust neither brittle, etc) requires that I ignore the salad deficiencies....

bgut1, I agree with you on DeLorenzo's but Vic's cannot be so-so....... 60 years means something! Keep in mind, I've never been there so I cannot justify anything.

Vic's has been in business since 1947. A statistic like that is rare. Any other "Vic's People?"

Thanks

Dave

Edited by steakas (log)

bgut1, I agree with you on DeLorenzo's but Vic's cannot be so-so.......  60 years means something!  Keep in mind, I've never been there so I cannot justify anything.

Vic's has been in business since 1947.  A statistic like that is rare.  Any other "Vic's People?"

Thanks

Dave

steakas - I'm not disputing that I'm in the "extreme" minority about Vics. All I'm saying is that the Pizza didn't do anything for me and I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. As far as your hypothesis that there is a direct correlation between the age of a restaurant and quality; I'm sorry but I can't agree. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would appreciate your impressions AFTER you have had a chance to dine there.

As far as your hypothesis that there is a direct correlation between the age of a restaurant and quality; I'm sorry but I can't agree.

Excellent point here. When we first moved into the area we now live (Bucks County PA) over 20 years ago, I polled all sorts of people as to where to get a great meal. Many people recommended a place called Georgine's. We tried it and can honestly tell you that is was the absolute worst meal of my life. The place has been in business over 30 years.

What I have learned is that most people's idea of good food is not having to cook at home. I feel most people in this country have pedestrian tastes or worse as evidenced by so many truly bad restaurants that are still open and even flourishing. Now I'll cop to being a food and wine snob in this forum for those who know me, but come on people really

Edited by Jeff L (log)

bgut1, I agree with you on DeLorenzo's but Vic's cannot be so-so.......  60 years means something!  Keep in mind, I've never been there so I cannot justify anything.

Vic's has been in business since 1947.  A statistic like that is rare.  Any other "Vic's People?"

Thanks

Dave

steakas - I'm not disputing that I'm in the "extreme" minority about Vics. All I'm saying is that the Pizza didn't do anything for me and I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. As far as your hypothesis that there is a direct correlation between the age of a restaurant and quality; I'm sorry but I can't agree. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would appreciate your impressions AFTER you have had a chance to dine there.

You are very right! It's bad to make assumptions about someplace I've never been to. After I try it I'll then express my opinion. Based on what you said, and given the support herein, I'm in no rush to go there.

But 60 years? Sixty years is longer than most of us are living. I'm sorry, but serving a "not good" pizza doesn't keep a place in business for 60 years. Sixty years is a long long time!

Dave

Edited by steakas (log)

I live in Jersey, but have never been to Vic's, although practically all of the comments I've heard about this place have been positive. I do disagree that being in business for a long time means you serve a quality product. Domino's and Pizza Hut have been in business almost 50 years. Not only that, but they've expanded and become large successful chains. I don't think pizza afficionados would consider pizzas from these places to be quality products. Ditto McDonald's when it comes to hamburgers.

I love hot dogs and have been to close to 200 different hot dog establishments. Some of them have been around since 1924. A few that I really enjoy have opened within the last year. Longevity and popularity are not true indicators of quality. A place in Buttzville, N.J. called Hot Dog Johnny's is not only the most popular hot dog joint in West Jersey, but the most popular restaurant of any kind. There was an article in the Star Ledger stating this a few years ago. I've been there more than a few times and I can tell you that it is the most overrated hot dog joint I've been to. The dogs are mediocre, but there are always lines.

I've also noted there are lines out the door at the Olive Garden on rt 22 in Springfield every time I drive past. But the food there pales in comparison to almost any other Italian restaurant.

John the hot dog guy

• 5 years later...

bgut1, I agree with you on DeLorenzo's but Vic's cannot be so-so....... 60 years means something! Keep in mind, I've never been there so I cannot justify anything.

Vic's has been in business since 1947. A statistic like that is rare. Any other "Vic's People?"

Thanks

Dave

You are very right! It's bad to make assumptions about someplace I've never been to. After I try it I'll then express my opinion. Based on what you said, and given the support herein, I'm in no rush to go there.

But 60 years? Sixty years is longer than most of us are living. I'm sorry, but serving a "not good" pizza doesn't keep a place in business for 60 years. Sixty years is a long long time!

Dave

I wanted to do a full circle here, six years later. I went to Vic's today. Going there today reminded me of this past post and how I once spoke defensively about Vic's. Today made me realize how I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, or its age. The pizza at Vic's is mediocre at best. The sauce had a garlic taste which repeated on me throughout the day. The place does however have a nice pizza place parlor/pub decor, but that's about it. Go back for food? Not necessary. The pizza sauce congealed as me and one other guy ate a single large pie. The sauce tasted more like something that should have been served on pasta. I will not go out of my way for pizza at Vic's anymore. Sorry to write something negative about a place that's older than most, however their pizza doesn't do it for me.

Glad to see this topic bumped up.

So many great pizzas in NJ, so little time.

Is Benny Tudino's still in business and good? It was Albanian owned when I frequented the joint in the mid-1970s.

Trenton tomato pies are insane. At least at the De Lorenzo's on 33 near 130.

I am confounded that two Elizabeth stalwarts received only fleeting mention in this topic: Spirito's and Santillo's. Spirito's us a bar/restaurant. Santillo's is takeout only. Alan Richmsn gives the latter it's due here:

http://m.gq.com/blogs/the-q/2010/04/the-far-side-of-the-hudson.html

When I moved to Phila from Hoboken nearly 35 years ago pizza (and good hot pastrami and corned beef) were two serious lacks. The city had much improved on both scores in recent years (Slice for tomato pies, Osteria Vetri. and some more recent additions like Nomad), but it takes a lot more effort to find a decent pie here than in NJ. Still too many awful Greek style pies.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 3 weeks later...

Is Benny Tudino's still in business and good? It was Albanian owned when I frequented the joint in the mid-1970s.

I am confounded that two Elizabeth stalwarts received only fleeting mention in this topic: Spirito's and Santillo's. Spirito's us a bar/restaurant. Santillo's is takeout only. Alan Richmsn gives the latter it's due here:

When I moved to Phila from Hoboken nearly 35 years ago pizza (and good hot pastrami and corned beef) were two serious lacks. The city had much improved on both scores in recent years (Slice for tomato pies, Osteria Vetri. and some more recent additions like Nomad), but it takes a lot more effort to find a decent pie here than in NJ. Still too many awful Greek style pies.

IMHO DeLorenzo's has the best pie in NJ.

Benny's is still there and the pies are still the same,still the same Albanian family. An acquired taste but sometimes all you want is a giant gooey Benny's slice.

Didn't realize how much I would miss NY/NJ pizza when we moved to Toronto. Can't find bupkis worth eating here. Maybe it exists, but it has not come to mama yet.

IMHO DeLorenzo's has the best pie in NJ.

You mean HAD, if you mean the Trenton Hudson Street location. Closed last year. There's another location left in Robbinsville, I've been to it, but I wouldn't say it is as good as the original.

• Like 1

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 1 year later...

You mean HAD, if you mean the Trenton Hudson Street location. Closed last year. There's another location left in Robbinsville, I've been to it, but I wouldn't say it is as good as the original.

Yea..It was sad to see the Hudson Street close.  I heard there was like a 4 hour wait the last day they were open.  I do like Robbinsville DeLorenzo's too...I think only a real critic could tell a difference..I cannot...kind of like a critic differentiating between Luger's and Wolfgang's (can't differentiate that one either).

Next time I'm in the area I have to try Papa's. I always liked Papa's too.  Jersey has lots of great pie places.. Delorenzo's still remains my fav.. ttyl