• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza in New Jersey

thereuare

• 1 month later...

A large portion of the fat on my 235 lb frame has got to be from the mozzeralla cheese on the thousands of slices I've consumed all over the tri-state area :)

While living in NYC, I worshiped at the altar of John's in the village, here out in New Jersey, I'm a huge fan of Suvios in Morristown. Pete's in Morristown is fairly formidable as well.

20 years ago I remember getting slices that were three times larger than I've ever seen at a place in Hoboken on a street off Washington. You needed a third hand to manipulate these slices. Anyone familiar with that place?

Here's my best pizza tip. If a place has great pizza, it'll never be empty. Same thing for Chinese Food. If you see a lot of empty tables and the place isn't brand new, turn around and walk out.

20 years ago I remember getting slices that were three times larger than I've ever seen at a place in Hoboken on a street off Washington.  You needed a third hand to manipulate these slices.  Anyone familiar with that place?

that was probably 7 Star. or Bennies, but Bennies is right on washington. both are better after a tour of hoboken's bars.

Edited by tommy (log)

Hehe...as usual, Tommy, you made me laugh! SO true about the Hoboken bars/pizza visits!

Benny Tudino's is definitely on Washington, but I think it's 7 Star that Scott is thinking of...maybe around 4th and that park? A full pizza there (yes, once ordered by group of us at about 1am after a bit of a 'crawl') is literally the size of a manhole cover--maybe even bigger.

As for Suvio's, when I worked in Morristown (over 10 years ago), it was on Washington Street just a few blocks down the hill from the courthouse. And it really was tasty.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

both are better after a tour of hobokens bars.

I didn't say the pizza was great - just that the slices were huge :) I'm sure it's 7 Star that I'm remembering - I know for a fact it wasn't on Washington and I do recall a small patch of overgrown brush that could be called a park.

Suvios in Morristown. Pete's in Morristown???

Suvios

83 Washington

Suvios, as Curlz mentioned, is down the street from the courthouse (away from the center of town/towards Mendham). If you're traveling away from the square (green) and you reach an A&P, you've gone too far.

Both Pete's and Suvios have won a bunch of County awards. I definitely prefer Suvios. Maybe it's the tiny bits of fresh basil in the sauce that do it for me.

It's not an easy thing to do, but if you can, try to get a slice from a slice pie straight out of the oven. Slice pies, imo, always seem to get a little more attention/thinner crust than the pies made to order. If you can't get it straight from the oven, than order a pie, since pizza that's sat around a while isn't that great nor does reheating to a napalm-like state do it much service. If you do order a pie, ask for a "very thin crust" That sometimes works for me.

Pete's

119 Morris St.

Pete's is almost right across from the train station - it's actually directly across from where people park for the train. Look for a gas station (Exxon?). Pete's is next door.

My best description of Pete's pizza is that it's heavy on the Parm/Romano. That changes the character from a primarily mozzerella pie substantially. Pete's is also nice in that they have a liquor license, although it can get smokey :(

One last word of caution: depending on who's making the sauce that day, both Suvios/Pete's can be a little on the salty side. If you're sensitive to salt, you might want to go elsewhere.

I stopped into FEDERICI'S in Freehold today, and had a small pie, utterly thin and crispy, almost like lavash bread with toppings; I ahd forgotten how pizzas of this style peculiar to Monmouth County can be a little soupy, but otherwise this was a fine pie, with excellent sauce, appropriate cheese, and very fennel-rich sausage. A real treat.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

and very fennel-rich sausage

Hmmmm... that sounds like something worth looking into. In my experience finding really good italian sausage at a pizzeria is not that easy.

pizzas of this style peculiar to Monmouth County can be a little soupy

Soupy? That sounds like the kind of pie that might "age" well :) Sauce heavy pies are usually the best right out of the fridge for breakfast.

• 4 months later...

I want to introduce myself to my fellow NJ diners. I have been reading thru the NJ postings for a few weeks now and have really enjoyed everyone's comments on the local restaurants (I'm already planning a dinner at Trattoria Fresco based on everyone's rave reviews--and my mouth is watering for those zeppole/fritters with butterscotch sauce). I check out the NJ board everyday and have a growing list of restaurants I need to visit based on your posts.

Any rate, I have posted a few times on the Heartland board (specifically for St. Louis restaurants) b/c I lived in St. Louis for a few years and am planning a dinner party for a friend who is getting married there this August. I am NJ born-and-raised, however, and proud of it!

I want to add my two cents to the pizza discussion. I have always been a big fan of Bruno's on Rte. 46 West in Clifton. It's in the same strip mall as a now-closed Acme. I find the crust perfectly thick for my taste--doughy and yeasty on the inside and crunchy on the outside. It's just heaven to take that first bite. I'd stay away from the pizza by the slice because they sometimes don't heat it thru sufficiently. Their sicilian is good, perhaps a bit too thick and doughy, with the cheese under the sauce. They do a nice eggplant pizza, with slices of fried eggplant (leftovers from eggplant parm sandwiches, maybe?)--but the good old "slice of regular" is still my favorite. Any thoughts on Bruno's?

And I am still learning board etiquette. So if I'm posting in the wrong place, please let me know. again, love the site...

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Thanks, tommy. Yes, I'm in Passaic, on the border of Clifton and Upper Montclair. Am working my way thru the restaurants right in my neighborhood--from bagels to French bistros. Am trying to choose my next destination. Will keep reading in the meantime...

:biggrin:

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

I love Brunos, esp the Sicilian. The crust has a slight sweetness to it and is very crispy on the bottom (from cornmeal?). The mussels are quite good also. You might want to try La pizzeria on the eastbound side of 46 just past Hazel st.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Was anybody here a fan of Gene Shepard, the brilliant (but unfortunately late) comic author? He did a whole routine in his live show about how to judge the quality of a slice of New Jersey pizza. The better the slice, the farther down your arm the grease travelled before it dripped off. The grease of a really great slice made it all the way to your elbow.

I know I haven't been around here very long, but I think Brother's pizza in Midland park is pretty good, if you like that kind of pizza. And by "that" kind of pizza I mean the kind that's made in a standard deck oven, uses shredded mozz instead of fresh, and has the streotypical toppings. I know it's not old-style traditional, but it's the kind I used to love as I kid at Al-John's Pizza in Princeton Jct. in the ACME shopping center. I would ride my bike over after school and meet my friends for a slice and some video games.

For me pizza is one of those foods that regardless of how intrisically good a slice is, or how traditional it is (brick oven, fresh mozz, etc) I will never truly enjoy it unless it's the same kind of slice I got when I was young. And really, I will always prefer a joint that you can get slices, instead of just whole pies.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

Two great pizzerias in Trenton , both called De lorenzo's , one on Hamilton Ave .Conte's in Princeton is o.k. Sciortino's ( previosly in Perth Amboy ) now reopened in South Amboy used to be good - I haven't tried the new location yet . Strawberries in Woodbridge used to be good but I haven't been for 6 months .

As for chains there is a new one in my neighborhood called Donato's - thin crust , good toppings but very greasy . Just tried another new local chain - Goodfella's - so bad that I threw the pie out after part of one slice .

Any rate, I have posted a few times on the Heartland board (specifically for St. Louis restaurants) b/c I lived in St. Louis for a few years and am planning a dinner party for a friend who is getting married there this August. I am NJ born-and-raised, however, and proud of it!

Welcome emilymarie! I guess we travelled in opposite directions, I was born & raised in St. Louis, now happily ensconced over in Rutherford. I'll have to seek out your Heartland posts, I'm hoping to get back to StL in Sept. to visit mom.

OK back on topic - the best pizza in Rutherford comes from Cafe New York, 57 Park Ave., a block up from the station. (They were originally New York Pizza but expanded their menu & have become more of a dinng out place than when they started out.) Standard commercial oven, but they get all the little things absolutely right - a medium-thin crust that always comes out with a nice char, a decently robust & garlicky sauce, proper quantity of cheese. They slice the red onions thin so that they actually get cooked through along with the pie (I hate places that serve you essentially raw onion on their pizza). They also use wonderful fresh mushrooms that pick up a little bit of char & really put their pies over the top.

I recall their sausage - the ground crumbly kind - as being decent, if not as raveworthy as their other ingredients. Can't give more details cuz haven't had the sausage in well over a year, it's way off my post-heart-attack diet. As is pizza itself, for that matter, but a man's gotta live, once a month or so my system can handle the indulgence.

Making no best-in-state claims here. (Somebody above mentioned John's Pizza in NYC, I was a serious consumer of their pies for the 20 years that we lived in the West Village. I've also been to Italy a few times. I know exceptional pizza when I find it.) All I'm saying here is that, after we moved to NJ 14 years ago, I tried every pizza joint in town & the closer sections of the surrounding towns, & it was no contest between New York Pizza and the rest. I never looked back.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

..I know exceptional pizza when I find it.)..

Delorenzo's Tomato Pies, 530 Hudson St, Trenton, NJ. Have you tried it? They're my favorite.

Nearby is Papa's Tomato Pies (804 Chambers St). They've been around longer than DeLorenzo's and make a Tomato Pie that's practically indistinguishable from DeLorenzo's.

From what I'm told, Una Pizza Napoletana (1901 Route 35, Pt Pleasant Bch) makes pizza very similar to Napoletana-style pizza in Italy. Is it? I like their pizza but it's different (and expensive). But their pizza reminds me of something I'd get as an appetizer in a yuppy restaurant in Red Bank. Is this what it's supposed to be?

:Dave

:D

From what I'm told, Una Pizza Napoletana (1901 Route 35, Pt Pleasant Bch) makes pizza very similar to Napoletana-style pizza in Italy.  Is it?  I like their pizza but it's different (and expensive).  But their pizza reminds me of something I'd get as an appetizer in a yuppy restaurant in Red Bank.  Is this what it's supposed to be?

what's the crust like? do they have a wood or coal burning oven? i'm heading that way in a few weeks and might consider stopping in if those questions are answered correctly. :smile:

edit: the answer is: hell yes, i'll be there.

Edited by tommy (log)

Tommy, that website accurately describes the place. The guy closes the place when he runs out of dough. Now I'm hungry...

edit: the olive oil is what makes it great

Edited by steakas (log)

Delorenzo's Tomato Pies, 530 Hudson St, Trenton, NJ. Have you tried it? They're my favorite.

Nearby is Papa's Tomato Pies (804 Chambers St). They've been around longer than DeLorenzo's and make a Tomato Pie that's practically indistinguishable from DeLorenzo's.

From what I'm told, Una Pizza Napoletana (1901 Route 35, Pt Pleasant Bch) makes pizza very similar to Napoletana-style pizza in Italy. Is it? I like their pizza but it's different (and expensive). But their pizza reminds me of something I'd get as an appetizer in a yuppy restaurant in Red Bank. Is this what it's supposed to be?

Haven't got down to Trenton. Read about Delorenzo's in the Philly forum a while back. Then someone took photos of the pies when the local egulleters organized an expedition. Been dreaming about them ever since. (The pies that is. :wink: ) Must make it down there.

Haven't been to Naples or Point Pleasant either, but this sounds intriguing. Thinking of heading down there at summer's end to catch Southside Johnny one more time, if I do, now I know where to eat! Thanks.

Most memorable pizza I've ever had - maybe not the "best" in a technical sense - was in Venice. I think the crust was actually kind of mundane, but the piquancy of the sauce &, most of all, the depth of flavors in the sausage & yellow peppers on top, were unforgettable. I can still taste the sweetness & intensity of those peppers. Just the kind of magic that strikes so often in Italy.

(Well, looking at what I just wrote, maybe it was really just the best "way to eat incredibly delicious sausage & peppers" I've ever experienced. I've actually had better pizza elsewhere in Venice, but the peppers were disappointing.)

Can't tell you the name of the place, but plop me down anywhere in Venice & I can walk you right to it.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Papa's tomato pie bears ABSOLUTELY NO RESEMBLANCE to a tomato pie from either of the Delorenzo's places, Hudson St. , or Hamilton Ave. (they are not directly related). Having finally made it to Papa's, we got a doughy, underbaked, and thoroughly unremarkable pizza. What a mediocre excuse for pizza. The hype that led me there was totally misguided.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Papa's tomato pie bears ABSOLUTELY NO RESEMBLANCE to a tomato pie from either of the Delorenzo's places, Hudson St. , or Hamilton Ave. (they are not directly related). Having finally made it to Papa's, we got a doughy, underbaked, and thoroughly unremarkable pizza. What a mediocre excuse for pizza. The hype that led me there was totally misguided.

What you tell me is a surprise. Based on my experience, I must completely disagree with you. When I went there, there was an old guy named "AB" who made my pie. AB is the founder of the restaurant. He made me a tomato pie which was extremely similar to DeLorenzo's Hudson St. However, I've only been there once so I really don't have much ground to stand on. If anything, DeLorenzo's Hamilton is significantly more dissimilar to DeLorenzo's Hudson than Papa's.

edit:gramer

Edited by steakas (log)