• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 1)

maggiethecat

Man, did I pick the wrong time of the month to be on a diet. I want anything from a place with a drive thru. My co-workers are eating KFC Twisters. I'm eating spinach. They have those crispy little potato wedges. I have SPINACH!! I want Taco Bell. Now.

After the pringles and pound cake, I had a bowl of cereal. Then another bowl of cereal. Then some ham and cheese melted in a pita pocket. The soft, warm, saltiness of the sandwich hit the spot, but I AM STILL STARVING. I could eat the entire world right now. :blink:

Man, did I pick the wrong time of the month to be on a diet.  I want anything from a place with a drive thru.  My co-workers are eating KFC Twisters.  I'm eating spinach.  They have those crispy little potato wedges.  I have SPINACH!!  I want Taco Bell.  Now.

Why not whip up a homemade bean burrito? It works for me. :rolleyes:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Mother's Peanut Butter Gaucho Sandwich Cookies aka "crack cookies".

I ate the dang entire 1 pound package in the past 48 hours.

ok, for my balanced diet, must now go eat some greasy salty snacks. :rolleyes:

hey Steve, are you hanging out with the ladies to get in touch with your feminine side? :raz:

Suzanne

Whoa...lots of ladies PMSing at the same time.... :laugh:

I had brownies for breakfast. And more cheddar Stax. Together. Cheese and chocolate...so nasty, it's good. :raz:

I had a brownie for lunch, but at least it was a fair trade brownie from school. (Does that count as healthy?) And a 100g bar of fair trade dark chocolate with almonds.

F*ck I'm so bloated. :rolleyes:

Whoa...lots of ladies PMSing at the same time.... :laugh:

I had brownies for breakfast. And more cheddar Stax. Together. Cheese and chocolate...so nasty, it's good.  :raz:

I had a brownie for lunch, but at least it was a fair trade brownie from school. (Does that count as healthy?) And a 100g bar of fair trade dark chocolate with almonds.

F*ck I'm so bloated.  :rolleyes:

ling-

you gotta try white cheddar popcorn while drinking hot cocoa. course you could sub that nasty florescent orange cheddar and it should work as well.

ever make the fudgy bourbon brownies in recipe gullet?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Oh dear.

I did the "bad" Chinese food ("bad"="greasy steam-table joint takeout") two days ago. I snarfed Fearless Housemate's leftover Eye-talian takeout yesterday. And now that I've seen this thread rear its ugly head again, I may have to do some other Eeeeeeeevil Takeout today. :wacko::laugh:

Hormones a'blazin', I rummaged through the cupboard this evening and pulled out some graham crackers, peanut butter and honey. Sounds normal enough. Nuh-uh, considering that I needed some salty to balance out the sweet... back into the kitchen I went and emerged with a tin of smoked oysters, vegetable thins crackers and cornichons. :blink:

I felt remotely guilty while snorfing through this dining catastrophe... that is, until I thought of this thread. Suddenly, I felt vindicated. :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

fresh green beans... gently coated with a sheen of butter... a smidgen of kosher salt

smashed potatoes with roasted garlic

carrots glazed with honey and vermouth and sprinkled with dill

i don't even want meat this month :shock: ... lovely veg :wub:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I made Butter Rum Caramels from Gourmet Magazine and totally shot the diet to hell. Damn!!!!! Of course, the sugar wasn't enough, I ate them with pecans and added a little extra kosher salt on top to round it out. Oh, and M&Ms with Candy Corn. Ewww, not healthy at all. Anybody got any fried food for me?!?

I'm attempting a healthy dinner: artichokes with mayo and crab. Wish me luck!

Anybody got any fried food for me?!?

Yeah, I sure do. At lunchtime today, I managed to stave off the Mickey D's cravings; unfortunately, I caved in and had crappy steam-table Chinese food instead. The deep-fried breaded chicken in nuclear lemon sauce fulfilled my grease quota and yours combined. :blink::laugh:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 2 weeks later...

Today (drum roll):

Two tins of (excellent) sardines, half a dozen scrambled eggs with truffle butter, an entire bag of black sesame rice crackers with miso, peanut butter spoonfuls (insert emoticon with eyes rolling heavenward). An entire loaf (2lbs)of freshly-baked bread soaked in fruity green Jordanian olive oil with a whole sliced avocado alongside. A massive chunk of flourless pistachio cake with spicy ginger cream cheese frosting. A huge slice of flourless chocolate cake from the same bakery, first warm and gooey in the car and then cold and fudgy from the fridge. A tuna and fontina panini with red onion, gherkins and wasabi mayo. Homemade caramel straight from the Tupperware container. Homemade peppermint patties straight from the freezer. Slapped some polenta on the grill and ate it with butter and maple syrup. Ample quantities of Maldon salt sprinkled over the lot of it, everything, all of the above. Acupuncture, raspberry Emer'gen-C and catnaps, oh my. Endless cups of salted cream tea. Elderflower lozenges to engage my oral fixation.

Is it just a matter of time before the women of Planet eGullet find that their cycles have synchronized?

The sun rises and sets on eGullet tonight. Keeps my greedy little paws occupied while the Kitchen. Is. Calling. My. Name.

Fortunately, I shall lose about five pounds in urine tomorrow and can look forward to a poor appetite for a day or two. Ahh.

Now, where did I put that bottle of pinot?

Today (drum roll):

Two tins of (excellent) sardines, half a dozen scrambled eggs with truffle butter, an entire bag of black sesame rice crackers with miso, peanut butter spoonfuls (insert emoticon with eyes rolling heavenward). An entire loaf (2lbs)of freshly-baked bread soaked in fruity green Jordanian olive oil with a whole sliced avocado alongside. A massive chunk of flourless pistachio cake with spicy ginger cream cheese frosting. A huge slice of flourless chocolate cake from the same bakery, first warm and gooey in the car and then cold and fudgy from the fridge. A tuna and fontina panini with red onion, gherkins and wasabi mayo. Homemade caramel straight from the Tupperware container. Homemade peppermint patties straight from the freezer. Slapped some polenta on the grill and ate it with butter and maple syrup. Ample quantities of Maldon salt sprinkled over the lot of it, everything, all of the above. Acupuncture, raspberry Emer'gen-C and catnaps, oh my. Endless cups of salted cream tea. Elderflower lozenges to engage my oral fixation.

:blink:

:shock:

You. Are. The. Queen!!

Today (drum roll):

Is it just a matter of time before the women of Planet eGullet find that their cycles have synchronized?

The sun rises and sets on eGullet tonight. Keeps my greedy little paws occupied while the Kitchen. Is. Calling. My. Name. 

Fortunately, I shall lose about five pounds in urine tomorrow and can look forward to a poor appetite for a day or two. Ahh.

all praise the goddess in her comestible glory!!! :shock:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

(impressive list of consumed foods snipped solely to preserve bandwidth)

If we all ever do get our cycles in sync, God/ess help the eGullet servers! We shall swamp them with our tales of derring-do! (Or should these deeds be called derring-don't? :laugh: )

It is an awesome sensation to feel one's hormones shifting gears on one's metabolic transmission, let me tell ya. I started the first full day of my actual period still in devour-everything-not-nailed-down-or-running-away mode ... and then all of a sudden I felt dizzy and light-headed, went to lie down for awhile, and upon arising spent the next eighteen hours forgetting to eat anything at all. Isn't biology wonderful? :blink::wacko::laugh:

This just isnt fair, I can barely eat during all this because I seem to have hormone dependant IBS. The more I eat the faster it ....digests. So I try not to eat....much :rolleyes: I almost need to be tethered like a helium balloon. But I have only one word for those under 35 or non smokers...or willing to to lie to their DR...

http://www.seasonale.com/

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Here's something truly disgusting...

Cheez Whiz and chocolate.

As for myself, it was a toasted brie and nutella sandwich for breakfast. And another for lunch, subbing cheddar for the brie.

That sounds pretty damn good though.

I crave chocolate and salty, but not at the same time. Still I may have to try it.. I never would have thought of strawberry jam and gouda toasties but that was an awesome combo.

Y'know, there are times I read this thread and I shake my head, thinking: yuk, ohmygawd, how can she possibly eat something like that? And at other times, I will read the exact same thing and think to myself, wow, that's exactly what I want, right now! <Sigh> :rolleyes:

This just isnt fair, I can barely eat during all this because I seem to have hormone dependant IBS. The more I eat the faster it ....digests. So I try not to eat....much :rolleyes:  I almost need to be tethered like a helium balloon. But I have only one word for those under 35 or non smokers...or willing to to lie to their DR...

T

Amen, sistah! Now I am only homicidal for a few days four times a year... :hmmm:

To get back OT:

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (Peanut Butter Pumpkins right now). Have to have them. Can'o'cheese and crackers...OK, just the cheese squired straight into my mouth...salted cashews...five batches of cookies (I shared SOME)...

This just isnt fair, I can barely eat during all this because I seem to have hormone dependant IBS. The more I eat the faster it ....digests. So I try not to eat....much :rolleyes:  I almost need to be tethered like a helium balloon. But I have only one word for those under 35 or non smokers...or willing to to lie to their DR...

T

poor tracey- some of us have been mistaken for being in their 30's ( though just turned 51). pm me after 1 december and we will get together just before that time for some bbq or thai or home cookig.... i can cook for someone with ibs since i do it all the time :sad:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I have begun thinking long and hard about the following recipe idea:

1 plain flavour pringle chip

1 Hershey's scoop chocolate candy chip thingy

1 more plain flavour pringle chip

Like a salty cunchy smoothie chocolatey sandwich of PMS yum!

Has anyone already beat me to this?

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

I have begun thinking long and hard about the following recipe idea:

1 plain flavour pringle chip

1 Hershey's scoop chocolate candy chip thingy

1 more plain flavour pringle chip

Like a salty cunchy smoothie chocolatey sandwich of PMS yum!

Has anyone already beat me to this?

BEHOOOOLD!!! Bernaise is the smartest woman ALIVE!!!

:laugh:

Damn... that sounds so good. That should be the official snack of PMS.