• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 1)

maggiethecat

ok katie and evie- here's a thread on johnnybird's toast dope http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=36283&hl=dope

that i use for anything from toast to a topping for fruit to an ingredient in breakfast cakes. you should find it amusing evie if you remember what john actually looks like and what he can eat - hope to use it in something if we make it to the spring nj get together(as long as we aren't down the shore)

there is no real "official" recipe for johnnybird's offical outrageous toast dope but it is sugar, orange peel, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, and other assorted spices - a la each family's recipe for garam masala...

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Thanks Suzi!

Mmmmmmm....Toast Dope! :wub: I must make some of this over the weekend.

PS - I restrained myself and only had one big mug of chocolate pudding. Now I'm sipping a double caipirinha to assuage my cramps. :wacko:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Today for breakfast I made Cinnamon Toast out of this lovely peach crumble bread that a friend's sainted mother gave me as a gift last weekend.  Pretty good way to tame the sugar beast.

Yes, I know I'm hanging out in the girls' treehouse, but I just gotta ask: how do diabetic women tame this "sugar beast?"

Ferocious as this sugar beast may be, it's far less dangerous than the ketoacidosis beast.

Edited by Fresser (log)

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

[Yes, I know I'm hanging out in the girls' treehouse, but I just gotta ask:  how do diabetic women tame this "sugar beast?" 

Ferocious as this sugar beast may be, it's far less dangerous than the ketoacidosis beast.

heather(steve's female alterego) -

probably with stevia or splenda. that was what it was developed for..

suzi

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

[Yes, I know I'm hanging out in the girls' treehouse, but I just gotta ask:  how do diabetic women tame this "sugar beast?" 

heather(steve's female alterego) -

probably with stevia or splenda. that was what it was developed for..

Splenda does make for a fine-tasting pastry. But would Splenda satisfy the chemical craving with which I am blessedly unfamiliar?

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I curse all those people who invented mini Halloween candy bars! The only good thing about them is that three mini-bars are remotely acceptable versus three of the full-sized alternative.

And then I have posts like this to contend with on our local Vancouver forum:

Definitely, Wing Nuts is the place to go.  Not only do they offer deep-friend Mars Bars, but deep-fried Snickers bars AND (my favorite) deep-fried Smores.  Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Moe transforms his bar into restarant where he specializes in deep-frying an entire table - food, cutlery, and all.  I'm loathe to admit that if such a restaurant existed, I'd probably be there opening night.

Tell me, just how am I supposed to exercise that much willpower at this time of the month? :hmmm::rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

How are those ribs holding up, Ling?

I must try those deep-fried Mars bars now. It's one of those things that I find morbidly fascinating--sounds gross and delicious at the same time. There's a restaurant down here with an Elvis theme that serves deep-fried Mars bars, Snickers bars, and I think Oreos too. Deep-fried Smores bars...I wonder what a deep-fried Mallomar would taste like. :wub:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Well, "Aunt Flo" (as one of my friends calls "her") has arrived at my house, but even though I'm all achey-breaky now, the cravings continue ... it usually takes me about 24 hours until my metabolism shifts gears, and I suddenly realize "hmm, has it really been ten hours since last I ate anything?"

But in the meantime ... I hear the siren call of the local Asian buffet, murmuring "spare ribs, spare ribs ... "

Oddly, while I probably would Hoover up any deep-fried candy bar or other chocolatey item if it happened to be conveniently nearby, what I really crave when the hormones are surging is high-fat-content animal protein. This is why, at this time of month especially, pork products are my friends. :biggrin:

Wow, sugar cravings!

For lunch today I had one serving of my chocolate sorbet, then a serving of freshly made avocado ice cream, then had to have something chewier but still sweet so went right for a candy bar. Mmmm, endorphins...

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

How are those ribs holding up, Ling?

The ribs are gone, and so has the red tide. :laugh:

Oh, and those deep-fried goodies aren't as "gross" as I thought they would be. They're actually pretty good...less sweet b/c they're covered in that fried batter, and soft and mushy on the inside. The fried Oreos are pretty good. :wink:

Edited by Ling (log)

I'm 8 months pregnant right now, so it's been 8 months of cravings.

This time around, I've craved coconut shrimp, beef teriyaki, miso soup, curly fries from Jack in the Box, Haagen Daz Creme Brulee ice cream, Chef Boyardee Ravioli, chocolate cake, Beef and Potato burritos from Taco Bell, Chicken McNuggets... the list gets kind of weird.

Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...

If only my cravings were tied to my cycle! I have cravings every day! What's with you girls? :huh: Today I plan on having Indian food for lunch, but I'm craving a cheesecake..... and some pumpkin ricotta ravioli. Oh, well. Can I still be in the club? :cool:

edited to add:

PS: I mean, you let Fresser in, after all! :laugh:

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

If only my cravings were tied to my cycle! I have cravings every day! What's with you girls? :huh:  Today I plan on having Indian food for lunch, but I'm craving a cheesecake..... and some pumpkin ricotta ravioli. Oh, well. Can I still be in the club? :cool:

edited to add:

yeah, but rebecca hou HAVE seen steve in his maid's outfit, right? damn, that guy has better legs than most women i know... and looks like he could be my sister

:unsure:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

If only my cravings were tied to my cycle! I have cravings every day! What's with you girls? :huh: ... Can I still be in the club? :cool:

edited to add:

yeah, but rebecca you HAVE seen steve in his maid's outfit, right? damn, that guy has better legs than most women i know... and looks like he could be my sister

:unsure:

Modesty prevents me from re-posting my Heather Duster picture--but you could see it here. :raz:

At this rate, I could get invited to the Ladies Who Lunch thread soon. You think they'd welcome a Hostess with the Mostess, Suzi?

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Heh... I just found this and I may be in trouble being one of the "lucky ones" who only get a visit 3 or 4 times a year (BUT always when I'm on vacation of course... or it seems that way!) :blink:

My likes / cravings include strange things this spring it was candied apples. Finally in October I got one at Abma's farm in Wyckoff NJ.

I usually have that general chocolate & salty stuff crave.

I satisfy it with either flipz :wub: or ranch chips and snickers bars. Flipz works best because it is chocolate and salty pretzels YUM! :raz:

We should have a "PMS" club and have lunch or brunch pity parties so we can get all weepy and share munchies and watch chick flicks. :cool: and discuss the latest cramp meds that rarely work well (well I was on naproxen in high doses for years it worked a teeny bit!) bloating and of course (smirk :huh: ) feminine products - who the hell invented "WINGS"?! UGH! LOL...

Nice to have found this little forum.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I'm so bloated today. :sad:

I have a strange "smell" craving--I can "smell" something in my mind, but I can't put my finger on what sort of food smells like that. I'm imaging something creamy, with a very strong artificial vanilla and orange smell. I've been thinking about this since yesterday!

I just rummaged around in my kitchen and I have a package of cream cheese, sugar, some oranges, and vanilla extract. I'll thinking about mixing this stuff up together, and smearing it on white bread. Or eating it with a spoon.

Oh god, I have a date tomorrow night. I hope don't bite his head off. Or cry during Harry Potter. :huh:

I'm imaging something creamy, with a very strong artificial vanilla and orange smell.

Run quick to the store and get an orange creamsicle...............you'll feel SO much better ! Maybe two........... :wink:

Edited by dockhl (log)

I'm digging into a bowl of homemade veal stew with dumplings bookended by the BEST new Loblaw's product: the Organic milk chocolate bar with hazelnuts and raisins. Madre de dio!

edited to add punctuation kind-of

Edited by Bernaise (log)

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

Oh god, I have a date tomorrow night. I hope don't bite his head off. Or cry during Harry Potter.  :huh:

Once when I was dating Girlie Girl, the long-fanged, three-headed Menstrual Monster reared her head. When I figured out what was happening (and that GG didn't MEAN to act homicidal :huh: ), we retreated to the grocery to purchase a chocolate bar, pretzels, Midol and Diet Coke to wash everything down.

We then held an impromptu picnic outside the grocery, where GG wolfed down a fistful of pretzels, several chocolate squares and the Magic Midol pill. Definitely an interesting date, even if I did feel like an extra in a George Romero movie.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I can usually avoid it for the rest of the month, but I need Coca-cola. And fruit (don't always get my five per day). Dockhl, now that you've mentioned that Creamsicle, I think I need to get one now.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany