• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 1)

maggiethecat

I have begun thinking long and hard about the following recipe idea:

1 plain flavour pringle chip

1 Hershey's scoop chocolate candy chip thingy

1 more plain flavour pringle chip

Like a salty cunchy smoothie chocolatey sandwich of PMS yum!

Has anyone already beat me to this?

BEHOOOOLD!!! Bernaise is the smartest woman ALIVE!!!

:laugh:

Damn... that sounds so good. That should be the official snack of PMS.

Years ago, on a weekend in La Conner, Washington, I found a heavenly PMS snack in a local candy/chocolate shop: black-and-white chocolate-dipped ripple potato chips. One end was dipped in dark chocolate, the other in white. The result was genius, sheer genius. Alas, the last time I visited La Conner, neither the candy shop nor the chocolate-dipped potato chips were there any longer. My hormones sighed a collective sigh of mourning. :sad:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 3 weeks later...

well, guess i should get ready for THAT time of the month again. :hmmm:

today at the hawkwatch i had tomato and cheese sandwiches, i had a banana, i had yoghurt, i had the snack box filled with fudgy bourbon brownies, welch's fruit bites and baked doritos. did i want those? NOOOOOO

all i wanted was a freakin whopper junior with extra pickles and a vanilla shake. unfortunately the road the BK is on is under construction so i hit up our local mcdonalds and had a big mac (discarded the center layer of bread and added ketchup) and my shake. not good for me but it tasted wonderful.... :raz:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

today at the hawkwatch i had tomato and cheese sandwiches, i had a banana, i had yoghurt, i had the snack box filled with fudgy bourbon brownies, welch's fruit bites and baked doritos.  did i want those?  NOOOOOO

all i wanted was a freakin whopper junior with extra pickles and a vanilla shake. 

It is to laugh! Bananas? Yoghurt? Even Doritos and brownies.. Pfui!

Your instinct for the Whopper Jr. was excellent -- all the satisfaction of the burger thing, but almost a Health Burger in fast-food terms because of the medium meat patty and all the lettuce. A well-balanced PMS meal. I am a BK girl, so I'm sorry you had to visit McD's, but I'm glad it made you happy.

My Boss announced her Time of the Month today and her lunch was: an Italian Beef sandwich from Portillos, double-dipped, a chocolate malt. onion rings, fries. She inhaled it. Hey, a lady has to keep up her strength, and makerel , blueberries and yoghurt just don't make it.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Are our cycles synchronized or something? :laugh: Seems like this thread pops up around the same time every month.

I don't want to know how many pounds of short ribs I ate today. I ate them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And then after dinner, I re-braised them (is that a word?) and reduced the sauce some more and now I'm eating them as my late-night snack. Damn those ribs for being so tasty.

Are our cycles synchronized or something?  :laugh: Seems like this thread pops up around the same time every month.

I was thinking the same thing Ling! So funny :wacko: Yesterday I made sugar cookies but added orange oil and chocolate chips...lots of 'em! MMMMMMMM sugar! And on Sunday I made pretzels...mmmmmm salt! I'm sure it's a real illness!!!!

Are our cycles synchronized or something?  :laugh: Seems like this thread pops up around the same time every month.

I was thinking the same thing Ling! So funny :wacko:

That makes three of us! I thought of this thread yesterday morning while breakfasting on Halloween mini-chocolate bars. Kit Kat, Aero and Coffee Crisp. At least I felt somewhat justified with the Coffee Crisp for my a.m. meal. :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

This is amazing...who knew that the women of eG were all on a similar cycle?!? I just said to one of my friends that in the last day and a half, I've become an eating machine...last night, we went out to dinner to avoid the ringing doorbell, and then we went for ice cream. PUMPKIN ice cream for me. Two scoops. In a cone. And when I was done, I almost attacked his, which he was eating far too slowly, but I restrained myself. But did I wake up absolutely starving this morning? I did. I think Ling may be on to something...short ribs for breakfast, ladies!! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I did. I think Ling may be on to something...short ribs for breakfast, ladies!!  :laugh:

Whaddabout da' carbohydrates, Curlz?

You need an Eyetalian Beef samwich dipped with sweet peppers. Dat has salt, garlic, fat and protein. What else could a lady want?

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I did. I think Ling may be on to something...short ribs for breakfast, ladies!!   :laugh:

You need an Eyetalian Beef samwich dipped with sweet peppers. Dat has salt, garlic, fat and protein. What else could a lady want?

Why, hand-delivery to her door, by a fetching young delivery-person ... who won't be perturbed when said lady snatches the sandwich away and inhales it right there in the foyer. :laugh:

I'm in synch too, ladies. Just watched my friend's kid last night pawing through her entire Halloween haul ... only thing there that enticed me was a big ol' Three Muskateers bar, but the kid's grandmother called dibs on that! :laugh: So I departed and hit the local Jack-in-the-Box. All hail the mighty Jack, open 24/7 -- maybe I should call up their Corporate Headquarters (hey, they're only, like, five miles away) and suggest a whole new ad campaign: "Ladies, even if That Craving strikes at 2 AM, we'll be there for you."

This is amazing...who knew that the women of eG were all on a similar cycle?!?  I just said to one of my friends that in the last day and a half, I've become an eating machine...last night, we went out to dinner to avoid the ringing doorbell, and then we went for ice cream.  PUMPKIN ice cream for me.  Two scoops.  In a cone.  And when I was done, I almost attacked his, which he was eating far too slowly, but I restrained myself.  But did I wake up absolutely starving this morning?  I did. I think Ling may be on to something...short ribs for breakfast, ladies!!  :laugh:

Hahahahahaha I did the EXACT same thing!! We drove up to Scottsdale for Shabu-Shabu and then popped into Ben & Jerry's for a cone. I went with my old standby: Butter Pecan, after tasting about 6 other newer flavors first!

(In my defense about the trick-or-treaters, they range from 6 months to 21 years here and some don't even dress in costumes!!!! Many drive into our area from other parts of town. I got so peaved last year at the adults bumming, er, I mean trick-or-treating, that I just couldn't do it again this year.) Hmmmm is this a pissy PMS attitude????

Okay, I am just now recovering from dinner at one of my favorite cheep-ass Asian buffets, where I inhaled mass quantities of (very meaty!) spareribs, plus random assorted shellfish, and am feeling much better for it.

At least, for the time being.

(Too bad there isn't a full moon out so I could howl at it. :laugh: )

Today (drum roll):

Two tins of (excellent) sardines, half a dozen scrambled eggs with truffle butter, an entire bag of black sesame rice crackers with miso, peanut butter spoonfuls (insert emoticon with eyes rolling heavenward). An entire loaf (2lbs)of freshly-baked bread soaked in fruity green Jordanian olive oil with a whole sliced avocado alongside. A massive chunk of flourless pistachio cake with spicy ginger cream cheese frosting. A huge slice of flourless chocolate cake from the same bakery, first warm and gooey in the car and then cold and fudgy from the fridge. A tuna and fontina panini with red onion, gherkins and wasabi mayo. Homemade caramel straight from the Tupperware container. Homemade peppermint patties straight from the freezer. Slapped some polenta on the grill and ate it with butter and maple syrup. Ample quantities of Maldon salt sprinkled over the lot of it, everything, all of the above. Acupuncture, raspberry Emer'gen-C and catnaps, oh my. Endless cups of salted cream tea. Elderflower lozenges to engage my oral fixation.

Is it just a matter of time before the women of Planet eGullet find that their cycles have synchronized?

The sun rises and sets on eGullet tonight. Keeps my greedy little paws occupied while the Kitchen. Is. Calling. My. Name. 

Fortunately, I shall lose about five pounds in urine tomorrow and can look forward to a poor appetite for a day or two. Ahh.

Now, where did I put that bottle of pinot?

So... I can't beat last month's premenstruavaganza in terms of variation, but I think I'm pretty close in terms of caloric damage. Last night's visit to the market brought endless good tidings today, contained in a jar labeled "peanut butter". Arrowhead Mills, the good, hearty, lip-smackingly tenacious stuff with the heavy, gluey texture of book paste. The real thing. 1.25 lbs of it, to be precise.

On soft, fresh whole wheat bread with honey. On toasted rye bread, plain. On bananas, with bananas. Betwixt and between chocolate. Spread onto impromptu ice cream "sandwiches". Malted and fudged. In a bowl of brown rice, with sriracha and cilantro and peppers and broccoli and scallions. Bespooned, with macerated strawberries. Alongside a sliced Fuji apple. Sprinkled with salt and swirled in caramel. Gado-gado. Dressing cold, slippery soba noodles with lots of sesame oil and tamari.

I really love it.

Salt. Just salt. Dinner was Doritos dipped in warmed Tostitos cheese sauce. Iknowhowtotallygrossthisis- as if I'm not bloated enough :unsure: Ick. Tired-PMS-Cranky-Stressed do not make a good meal planning partner. :huh:

(eta: spell'g)

Edited by Genny (log)

Edys Caramel Ice Cream - slow churned and pretzel rods. Didn't need a spoon, just shoveled the ice cream into my mouth using the pretzel rods. Yum.

NOW we're talking my language--except that for me, it can just be vanilla. I'm just not a sweet or a salt freak, but something about salty pretzels with just about anything sweet always sounds good to me! Choc-covered 'zels are a fantastic thing--any time of the month!

Here's what I ate yesterday...after a regular breakfast at my desk (coffee + a yogurt with Go Lean Crunch added to it), I was starving at 11am. So I had some crackers, about 2oz of tuna, and a few slices of muenster. At 1:30, it was Pad Thai and some ginger chicken soup. An apple on the way home (5ish), and a stop at my local Chinese takeout place for some bbq spare ribs. I ate all of them. A small order, but WHOOSH...gone. Then around 8:30, an (egg sub) omelette with a chicken/apple sausage in it and a big piece of toasted multigrain bread with butter and blueberry Polaner. Then two (I swear, that's all) mini candy bars. One Nestle's Crunch, the other a HEAVENLY invention called a Take 5 bar. Which contains a choc-covered pretzel!! Then I told myself I must stop, so I got in bed, watched tv, and went to sleep. Today I'm muuuuuch better, so hopefully, I'm over the hump!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Not currently PMSing, but still in the midst of a week-plus long sugar craving cycle. Beware me, oh weak and helpless candy corn!

If any of ya'll 1) have patience to "cook" while PMSing and 2) love chocolate, I'm posting a recipe to recipeGullet for future reference.

It is from a friend of mine and is thusly named:

Chantal's Sorbet of Death

Being a sorbet completely stuffed to the gills with chocolate, it is both rich and not egregiously fatty. Enjoy!

I'm chilling my 2nd batch in the last few days right now....

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I did. I think Ling may be on to something...short ribs for breakfast, ladies!!   :laugh:

My rib breakfast comes with a generous side of chocolate brownies, obviously. :rolleyes::wink: Slathered with peanut butter. OOohhhh yeaaahhhh....

It's 1:33 a.m. in Vancouver. Guess what I'm eating? Short ribs and caramelized onions...heh heh heh.

RIBS--they're not just for breakfast!!

Edited by Ling (log)

ok ladies - and steve since you are obviously monitoring this thread my dear heather- i could give a rat's a$$ about food today. all i want is a hot bath, heating pad and a pot of tea...

see y'all next month(unless at age 51+ my body decides to give up :huh: )

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I was in the "hot bath and heating pad" stage myself, just yesterday.

Today for breakfast I made Cinnamon Toast out of this lovely peach crumble bread that a friend's sainted mother gave me as a gift last weekend. Pretty good way to tame the sugar beast.

Tonight - Jello chocolate fudge pudding!! The whole bowl if I want to. And I might... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Today for breakfast I made Cinnamon Toast out of this lovely peach crumble bread that a friend's sainted mother gave me as a gift last weekend.  Pretty good way to tame the sugar beast.

hey, katie- no sugar beast here anymore... want some of johnnybird's toast dope to add to that peach crumble? just send me your snail mail and i'l sen it to you :biggrin: or should i leave a container with karin next may? hmmmmmm, maybe i should market the toast dope to pms ing chicks (though that isn't what i want - grease, salt and protein)

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Okay, for those of us DOPES, can you please explain what toast dope is?!? I hope you're not going to tell me to read through 400+ posts, Suzi! :laugh:

Toast Dope? :blink:

I recall a vague reference to this in past posts, but please 'splain again for my wee little brain that lacks retention.

Posting a recipe for Toast Dope in RecipeGullet would be fine, unless it's a state secret. Don't waste the postage on me. Besides, by the time it arrives I'll be beyond the grasp of the Sugar Beast.

If you'll have to kill me then just PM the recipe. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Good to see that great minds are working together tonight in terms of timing, Ms. Katie! :wink: I'm assuming that it's something that Suzi refers to as dope b/c of the effect it has when she eats it--just the same way that I refer to Dunkin Donuts coffee as crack. As in, "I need a cuppa crack... " b/c I don't know what it is they do to their coffee, but I. LOVE. IT. :wub: