• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dehydrated/Powdered Peanut Butter

Shel_B

This morning I discovered this product.  Just add water.  Has anyone tried it? For what have you used it?  It might be nice in some spreads or sauces ...

There's also a version without added sugar or salt, although there's very little added sugar in this version and salt s considerably less than in a comparable amount of typical peanut butter.

PB2.jpg.0040d2986e3a630933e3c9a041b7d341.jpg

• Like 3

... Shel

In cookbooks I have, it's primarily used in sauces and in baking.  Handy because it can easily be mixed into either wet or dry ingredients in a way that peanut butter can't be. 

Edited to add that if you search the forums for "Peanut Butter Powder" you'll find a topic in the baking and pastry area with a few posts, Peanut Butter Powder and other posts by members using it in different ways, like @mgaretz in ice creams or frozen desserts and quite a few using it in candymaking. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've used it for cooking/baking. I am not a big fan of peanut butter sandwiches, so a jar of peanut butter might last me 10 years. The powdered stuff is more practical for someone like me.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

I add it to oatmeal to increase the protein content. I have mixed it into plain Greek yogurt with some berries for a PB&J vibe, also.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

I add it to oatmeal to increase the protein content. I have mixed it into plain Greek yogurt with some berries for a PB&J vibe, also.

Wish I'd thought of that when I had my jar.

Thanks for all the suggestions for using this product.  I never thought about adding it to oatmeal ... sounds like a great idea.  I'll be picking up some of this product shortly and am looking forward to trying it.

I love spicy peanut noodles, and this certainly seems like it can somehow be used in such a dish.

• Like 2

... Shel

24 minutes ago, FeChef said:

I have been making PB&J sandwiches with it for years, i actually like them better then using regular PB. And its a LOT healthier.

And why is it a LOT healthier? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

And why is it a LOT healthier? 

After discovering the product, I did some poking around, and came across this discussion about its health benefits. In short, to my understanding, they are somewhat mixed. I think you'd have to consider which aspects of the product are most important to you, how you'll be using it, and which version of the product you'd be using. You can read this and make up your own mind ...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/pb2-powdered-peanut-butter

• Like 1

... Shel