• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

gfron1

Tempering Cocoa Butter?

11 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

To be sure, you should temper the commercial product too. But you can partially melt the bottle, agitate it a lot to seed the melted cocoa butter with the solid tempered cocoa butter still in the bottle, cross your fingers, pray and use ;) . 

I think that I have heard someone say that if you spray cocoa butter with airbrush, the "airbrush" will temper the cocoa butter when you are spraying? Due to the cooling of the cocoa butter when blown out as small particles with cold air :) 

4 hours ago, Madsandersen said:

I think that I have heard someone say that if you spray cocoa butter with airbrush, the "airbrush" will temper the cocoa butter when you are spraying? Due to the cooling of the cocoa butter when blown out as small particles with cold air :) 

One thing I've learned is everything involved with chocolate work will have 20 different people doing it 20 different ways and they all seem to work for the person doing it. Somewhere in all that, you just do what works for you. 

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

4 hours ago, Madsandersen said:

Yes, that's written in one of those books that everyone have. Not sure which.

I never temper the cocoa butter except going down to 30 degrees or whatever, can't remember now. That guy in Belarus temper it though, cool it down to one state, and then heat it with a heat gun. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

One thing I've learned is everything involved with chocolate work will have 20 different people doing it 20 different ways and they all seem to work for the person doing it. Somewhere in all that, you just do what works for you. 

20 hours ago, Rajala said:

I never temper the cocoa butter except going down to 30 degrees or whatever, can't remember now. That guy in Belarus temper it though, cool it down to one state, and then heat it with a heat gun. 

To illustrate @Tri2Cook's point, I always temper my cocoa butter by heating it to 45C, then cooling with plenty of movement (i.e. stirring) to 31C before use.

9 hours ago, keychris said:

To illustrate @Tri2Cook's point, I always temper my cocoa butter by heating it to 45C, then cooling with plenty of movement (i.e. stirring) to 31C before use.

Yeah, that's it.

Normally i partially melt the CCB without worring about the temp, and stir stir until its around 30-32

when i need a full temper i melt all the CCB to 50C, then let it set in the freezer until it gets around 26C and you can see some cristal floating at the top, then reheat to 32C.

hope it helps, no marble slab needed 😀

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By onemorebitedelara.com
      Has anyone used Valrhona Absolut Crystal neutral glaze particularly to thicken a coulis or to glaze a tart?  If so, how did you like it and is there another glaze you think worked as well but is less expensive or can be purchased in smaller quantities?  
    • By eglies
      We are new Chocolatiers 3 months in business and doing well. We are looking for mentors people who are in production and can help us grow in the right direction. We need to take some decisions to invest now before the holiday season and want to make sure we are doing the right moves. 
      If we need to pay for this service we don’t have a big budget but will try.  We will try to get help to avoid any mistakes and will take a loan for this investment. 
      Look forward to hear from you guys
      thks

• By Tiffany B
      Hello, 

I am new to this forum. It is nice to meet you all.

For August I have 2 big custom chocolate jobs and would love to know if I can paint the molds with tempered cocoa butter weeks in advance and then shell, fill, cap, at the last minute?
      Will the paint hold and be shiny and beautiful? 

Thanks in advance
    • By Ciordia9
      I've read some older threads on here about keeping your cocoa butter warm in a dehydrator. We picked up a NutriChef PKFD32 which was the closest we could find to a recommended one (2016/2018) and none of our bottles fit. Which had us ask--are people putting their bottles preset in here or are you using cups/transferring and cleaning your bottles over and over? Also if the PKFD32 isn't what we should be using, is there one generally people like now?

We've grown up from cheap airbrushes to the Grex line and we're attempting to get much more serious about our airbrush techniques. It's been long enough. Any thoughts, tips, tricks, or considerations are greatly appreciated.