• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2024

liuzhou

22 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Pad See Ew from Night + Market

4FF47796-8FD6-4A5F-B29A-C34229032CB3_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.8796e8e3d77336b4c8e0fad560022fc6.jpeg

This was very tasty, though in my efforts to get a nice char, which I achieved, I had issues with the noodles sticking to the wok. Still had chewy and flavorful noodles but I need to work on both my wok seasoning and technique. 

Wow! Everything looks great!  What kind of noodles are you using?  Are they dried or fresh?  Usually sticking is because the noodles are too wet, regardless of wok seasoning....

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Wow! Everything looks great!  What kind of noodles are you using?  Are they dried or fresh?  Usually sticking is because the noodles are too wet, regardless of wok seasoning....

Thanks, that's helpful!  The noodles were fresh-ish.  I got these at the Thai grocery store.  

7BC07071-8A0D-4982-8B14-0016E41ED063_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.452a5434a812770e14adfab87d7ef0fb.jpeg

They weren't in the fridge in the store but I put them in the fridge when I got home. I did see a tip to separate them out before refrigerating but I was too lazy!  

I microwaved the ones I used briefly, covered with a damp paper towel, so I could get them apart. That may have added some moisture. Maybe I can skip the paper towel and set them out to dry off for a while before cooking?  Any other suggestions?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks, that's helpful!  The noodles were fresh-ish.  I got these at the Thai grocery store.  

7BC07071-8A0D-4982-8B14-0016E41ED063_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.452a5434a812770e14adfab87d7ef0fb.jpeg

They weren't in the fridge in the store but I put them in the fridge when I got home. I did see a tip to separate them out before refrigerating but I was too lazy!  

I microwaved the ones I used briefly, covered with a damp paper towel, so I could get them apart. That may have added some moisture. Maybe I can skip the paper towel and set them out to dry off for a while before cooking?  Any other suggestions?

This is the link to how I learned - https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/pad-see-ew-new/

I've found that most of her instructions are well thought out and lead to good results.

ETA:  She has this broader topic: https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/rice-noodles-101/

which covers how to cook most rice noodle types.

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Zucchini, mushrooms, and roasted chile Poblano, sauteed with tomato, onion, garlic, chile Habanero, cumin, white pepper, and then finished with Mexican oregano and feta. The trick was adding the main ingredients sequentially so they were cooked down but still firm. Also salted and then drained zucchini cubes beforehand.

Zuke_shroom_202406.thumb.jpg.18af4693b4c6dac2d6228fe861928095.jpg

• Like 3

Pad Grapow (aka Ka Prao/Krapao/Krapow/Gaprao etc) Chicken from Night + Market  topped with a crispy fried egg. I didn't have any holy basil or regular basil so I used Thai basil. 

CFF7C49A-91BB-4B51-BC66-AF3179E3E99D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3b333d6852f965de4e970a30e29faef8.jpeg

This recipe differs from others I've read in relying on Prik Tum, a hot, garlicky paste made by smashing and cooking down chiles and garlic in oil in a larger batch rather than just what's needed for this single recipe. .

You blitz 3 large jalapeños, 3/4 cup Thai bird's eye chilies, 3/4 cup garlic cloves and 1/2 Tbsp salt in a blender or processor then simmer that in a cup of oil for 45 min or so before seasoning with white pepper.  It seems like a Thai version of Hamburger Helper 🙃 as it transformed some ground chicken and green beans into a delicious meal. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 2