• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2024

liuzhou

Pasta with 'Nduja

Pastawitnudja.jpg.a4dd7a98b9b4555b55fb376e295f7604.jpg

For lunch I enjoyed Pasta with ‘Nduja, the recipe of which was based on Pasta Grammar’s recipe here:

https://www.pastagrammar.com/post/pasta-with-nduja-recipe-the-best-spicy-pasta-you-ll-ever-try

And this ‘nduja as recommended by the good folks at Pasta Grammar, was used.

https://ndujausa.com/

I modified it a bit to my own taste and sensibilities. Having tried this 'nduja previously, I knew that I wanted slightly less funk and fat in the final dish, so I used about half the ‘nduja that the recipe called for, but I wanted the heat. I ground up some Calabrian chilies and added them to the sauce. The result was just about perfect. Slightly more garlic was used and it was pressed and added to the sauce rather than cooked and removed.

A 14-oz can of organic Mutti brand tomatoes formed the background for the sauce, but I was disappointed with the flavor of the tomatoes. They seemed a bit bland compared to the tomatoes I usually use, so I kicked up the flavor a bit with a couple-three tablespoons of tomato paste, also from Mutti and which I’ve used a lot over the years.

DeCecco Mezzi Rigatoni was todays chosen pasta. The shape and texture worked out well but I’d like to try this sauce with a more traditional fileja. Costco’s Pecorino Romano was grated over the pasta and was a nice compliment to the dish.

Overall, a nice, satisfying lunch.

Edited by Shel_B
typo, adjust image (log)
  • Like 7

... Shel

Crabmeat trifecta, some Chesapeake Bay jumbo lump provided us with a bounty of crab dishes.

linguine with crab, fresh herbs a smidge of garlic, white wine and butter.

Risotto,saffron, poultry broth, white wine, shallots, fresh herbs including tarragon and a very light dusting of fennel powder.

Crabmeat  salad, evoo,chives, parsley, a wee bit of sour cream/mayo, Sprinkle tomatoes, avocado, vinaigrette.

IMG_7070.jpeg

IMG_5989.png

IMG_7083.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Big salads today.  Partners the same w/o tomatoes.

The lump in the middle- tuna that we caught and I canned.

20240819_111804.thumb.jpg.808bdc634235c4dfbd3120b76b4804ac.jpg

one of these guys-caught off the WA coast.

Screenshot_20240819-112819_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1db2ed469b21fe2b47f97d0fcd534909.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

A childhood memory. Beanz meanz Heinz

Heinz Baked beans (British recipe) (imported via Hong Kong) with buttered toast.

beans.thumb.jpg.e3b9ca68f94c788972c3a0e4d058d4a6.jpg

BeansandToast.thumb.jpg.a7ca2739cabd33258eb623ae4fccfc4c.jpg

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Tomato tart, a swipe of tapenade, followed by grated Gruyère , tomatoes.  A little more grated cheese, and some basil oil brushed across the tomatoes.  Baked about 25 minutes, then removed and dolloped with basil pesto.

IMG_7095.jpeg

IMG_7099.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

35 minutes ago, OlyveOyl said:

Tomato tart, a swipe of tapenade, followed by grated Gruyère , tomatoes.  A little more grated cheese, and some basil oil brushed across the tomatoes.  Baked about 25 minutes, then removed and dolloped with basil pesto.

IMG_7095.jpeg

IMG_7099.jpeg

😍👏

• Like 3

... Shel

Tart du jour is a ricotta, pistachio , zucchini tart. The zucs were broiled and set aside, ricotta, Asiago, pistachios were added to the frozen crust and baked for 25 minutes. The zucs / tomatoes were added and the tart was returned to the oven for five minutes. A dusting of Asiago and a sprinkling of herbs and lunch was ready.  We had this with an arugula salad and lemon mustard dressing .

IMG_7119.jpeg

IMG_6076.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

15 minutes ago, OlyveOyl said:

Tart du jour is a ricotta, pistachio , zucchini tart. The zucs were broiled and set aside, ricotta, Asiago, pistachios were added to the frozen crust and baked for 25 minutes. The zucs / tomatoes were added and the tart was returned to the oven for five minutes. A dusting of Asiago and a sprinkling of herbs and lunch was ready.  We had this with an arugula salad and lemon mustard dressing .

IMG_7119.jpeg

IMG_6076.jpeg

😍👏 Another beauty!

• Delicious 1

... Shel

2 hours ago, OlyveOyl said:

@Shel_B thank you so much.  I just wrote down what I did so I hopefully can recreate it. Any veggie would be nice on top.

I do that a lot: write it down and hope to recreate it, and thanks to eGullet I can include photos too. They usually aren't as photogenic as yours, though. 🙂

Is that a puff pastry crust, or something else? I have an unruly package of phyllo dough, bought by mistake, begging to be used up.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 8/21/2024 at 4:00 AM, liuzhou said:

A childhood memory. Beanz meanz Heinz

Heinz Baked beans (British recipe) (imported via Hong Kong) with buttered toast.

beans.thumb.jpg.e3b9ca68f94c788972c3a0e4d058d4a6.jpg

BeansandToast.thumb.jpg.a7ca2739cabd33258eb623ae4fccfc4c.jpg

Now I want this - right now! This was one of our "mom's out tonight, dad is making dinner" meals. I've always loved it.

• Like 1

@Smithy The crust is more like a pâte  brisée, 125g pastry flour, 63 g butter, “ some grated Asiago cheese”, fresh herbs, a tablespoon-ish of tomato paste and harissa, 2-3 T sour cream, salt, a little sugar.  Not sure a puff pastry crust would work well with this type of tart, but perhaps the phyllo could work ..worth a try!

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Thanks 1

Today for lunch we had corn salad, red onion, basil slivers.

sliced chicken breast with a mayo/ sour cream, tarragon, basil, chives, parsley sauce.  Ginormous chiogga beets vinaigrette with arugula from today’s FM.

Desset was a lemon, peach, yogurt , verbena cake, peach sauce and peach sorbet.

IMG_7136.jpeg

IMG_7132.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

A branch of a local chain, Xi'an Famous Foods, finally moved (back) to my neighborhood....

PXL_20240825_162925444.thumb.jpg.9b996a046c4265f90db3775c3e5ee849.jpg

Rougiamo with lamb and lots of cumin and fennel seeds.

PXL_20240825_162939922.thumb.jpg.8b853cf7c43484fee2d64e3c9cbc2558.jpg

Hand ripped noodles with pork. I love the flavor of their cumin lamb noodles (their specialty) but for some reason it always gives me indigestion.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

食堂嗍粉 (shí táng suō fěn) in a local noodle shack. The name literally translates as 'dining hall suck noodles'! Really it's whatever the restaurant decides to use and may be different the next time I go back; certainly different in a different noodle places. Rice noodles, pork, pickled cowpeas, mustard greens, garlic, chilli. Good broth.

_20240829134752.thumb.jpg.2eb052c784c287f626c963694c43018e.jpg

• Like 4

Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

柳州螺蛳粉 (liǔ zhōu luó sī fěn).

_20240830204059.thumb.jpg.b662ed37ef3eb5ea8fd9acb282810a00.jpg

螺公堂 (luó gōng táng) is the name of the restaurant. It literally means 'snail law court',

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Mark Twain

Lunch was fresh scallops in a brown butter, lemon, parsley and garlic sauce. I removed the coral and used it in a sauce with fish for dinner. These weren’t those giant scallops you see in recipe photos but they were sweet and we enjoyed them. 

AB8044FC-5CC4-4663-80B6-575113325CFC.jpeg.f7c4ca3d844524d9a774090e11ce3d35.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

@KennethT

those noodle look delicious 

are they wheat noodles ?

they have a bit of the look of rice noodles , just a bit.

maybe because they look very flexible , more so that most wheat noodles.

Kudos your way !

Edited by rotuts (log)

39 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@KennethT

those noodle look delicious 

are they wheat noodles ?

they have a bit of the look of rice noodles , just a bit.

maybe because they look very flexible , more so that most wheat noodles.

Kudos your way !

They are fresh, hand pulled, wheat noodles.  Sometimes called biang biang noodles...

• Like 1