• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I want to make a sauce out of a jelly

gfweb

So I need to liquify it.  Heating is an obvious option, but then it might gel as it cools.

What can I add to it to inhibit the pectin gel..baking soda?

Would a little butter also work?

Experimenting is an obvious option, but I only have a little bit of the jelly.

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Is this for a sweet or savory application?  What is the planned serving temp and the desired consistency?

lamb chops at room temp eventually, 120 ish at serving

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

lamb chops at room temp eventually, 120 ish at serving

My go-to dipping sauce for lamb chops is Cherry Preserves (I use Bonne Mammon because I can find it in MX) with a squirt of chipotle molido (pure chipotle, not a prepared sauce with any spices in it).  Then a small squeeze of lime.   You can use chipotle in adobo if a pure molido is not available. 

I realize chipotle doesn't suit everyone's taste, but this sauce has been enjoyed by all our guests; we serve it with grilled salmon, pork and shrimp, too.  

I personally prefer sauce on the side when it comes to most proteins. 

• Like 2

My go-to preserve-sweetened pan sauce (pretty much everything is optional depending on how much you want your preserves to stand alone)

Sauté 2T finely minced shallot, red onion and/or ginger in 2T butter, ideally in the meat-cooking pan

Add 1/4 cup vinegar + 1/4 cup wine and bring to a simmer

Add 1/2 cup preserves, 2T Dijon mustard and 1/2 cup broth or stock and continue simmering to desired consistency. 
Swirl in 1T butter, taste to see if it needs salt or acid and serve. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What flavor is the Jelly? If i wanted to make a sauce out of lets say cherry Jam, i would use frozen cherries to make a thin juice and add that to the jam. But i guess at that point, why not just make a sauce out the the frozen cherries, lol.

btw, cherry goes great with Lamb.

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2023 at 4:49 AM, blue_dolphin said:

My go-to preserve-sweetened pan sauce (pretty much everything is optional depending on how much you want your preserves to stand alone)

Sauté 2T finely minced shallot, red onion and/or ginger in 2T butter, ideally in the meat-cooking pan

Add 1/4 cup vinegar + 1/4 cup wine and bring to a simmer

Add 1/2 cup preserves, 2T Dijon mustard and 1/2 cup broth or stock and continue simmering to desired consistency. 
Swirl in 1T butter, taste to see if it needs salt or acid and serve. 

Thank you, I will try it.

Edit: I tried it and it was so yummy. :)

Edited by CorineMoulton (log)