• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef "roll ups"

AlaMoi

do luv' a good thin slice of rolled up beef.  made a pair of homemade gadgets so I can produce thin even slices.

now . . . my typical world of experience is German "rouladen" - thin slices rolled with fine diced mushroom, onion, pickles.
good stuff, but there has to be more / other delectable beef roll ups.

any ideas for alternate "stuffings"?

I am only familiar with the rollups in Austrian or Italian cuisine. That is a thicker cut of meat with various stuffings often with a hard boiled egg i iddle - looks nice sliced.. Your thin thing - heated? Browned? People here sometimes show a simple cold one with the thin slices and maybe just a smear of mustard and a pickle spear - cold. Not something I enjoy.

I have fond childhood memories of British beef olives stuffed with breadcrumbs, shallots, mushrooms and Stilton. I haven't had them in over half a century, a situation I should remedy.

https://greatbritishrecipes.com/beef-olives/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

When I first saw the title of this thread, I believed it to be referencing a product known as "rolled beef."  I'm guessing not too many people have tried "rolled beef."

You don’t see authentic rolled beef, once a beloved staple of Jewish delis and a sort of cold, seasoned pastrami, much anymor

From the classic Sarge's!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

my fillings were always

one thick strip of good quality bacon

dijon style mustard , do not be skimpy with either

braised in beef stock , turned 1/2 way through , as the top browns.

mashed potatoes , the gravy is the reduced // thicken stock the R's cook in 

Edited by rotuts (log)

My very favorite is:

Tahe a round steak. Pound it thin. Wrap it around a good bratwurst and a dill pickle spear. Wrap that in bacon. Brown, and braise in Warsteiner.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com