• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Rancho Gordo Helped Catapult An Heirloom Bean Revolution | Gastro Obscura

TdeV

How much do you like beans? Odds are, you don’t like them as much as the folks who are subscribed to Rancho Gordo’s Bean Club (which has so many members, there are twenty-six thousand people waiting to join!). But the love for beans isn’t just a niche interest that popped up during the pandemic. It’s a passion that spans cultures and histories—and is something that has brought disparate communities together. Bean there, done that.

See the video here

As of release date of this video, there are 11,000 Bean Club members and 26,000 on the wait list.

Edited by TdeV (log)
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

See the video here

As of release date of this video, there are 11,000 Bean Club members and 26,000 on the wait list.

Wow.  That's a lot of people!

Makes me glad I didn't cancel.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I wasn't much of a bean person before the bean club..... I still remember years ago when @rotuts posted that the Bean Club was opening up, and immediately I went to the site to join - and I also signed my neighbors up so they wouldn't miss out.  I've never regretted it and while I've considered cutting back, the next box usually contains something I was missing (domingo roja in this last one!) and then I realize how  much I rely on the bean box just showing up and I don't have to think about it.   If I start to get too many unused bags, or have something I'm not likely to use, I give them to friends who love to cook or are on the waiting list.  I've told my neighbors we're never leaving the bean club ;)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

I wasn't much of a bean person before the bean club..... I still remember years ago when @rotuts posted that the Bean Club was opening up, and immediately I went to the site to join - and I also signed my neighbors up so they wouldn't miss out.  I've never regretted it and while I've considered cutting back, the next box usually contains something I was missing (domingo roja in this last one!) and then I realize how  much I rely on the bean box just showing up and I don't have to think about it.   If I start to get too many unused bags, or have something I'm not likely to use, I give them to friends who love to cook or are on the waiting list.  I've told my neighbors we're never leaving the bean club ;)

Surely it's not hard to give away your surplus when you live in Beantown. :)

• Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I’ve contemplated the bean club, back when the waiting list was not a million miles long, but it’s kinda like a CSA; I’d rather choose what I want. I have my favorites, and I order four or five of them twice a year.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I'm pretty attached to my favorites, so typically I will place an order that's big enough to qualify for free shipping. Then I wait until my stock is depleted and do it again. I always order at least one or two that I haven't yet tried, but the bulk of the order is Domingo Rojo. Sometimes I splurge on RG popcorn, which is delicious, and a jar of Oregano Indio, which is unique.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I'm pretty attached to my favorites, so typically I will place an order that's big enough to qualify for free shipping. Then I wait until my stock is depleted and do it again. I always order at least one or two that I haven't yet tried, but the bulk of the order is Domingo Rojo. Sometimes I splurge on RG popcorn, which is delicious, and a jar of Oregano Indio, which is unique.

Yes the other products deserve mention. Also his  support and promotion of regional corns and the Xoxoc project.  https://www.ranchogordo.com/collections/the-rancho-gordo-xoxoc-project

• Like 3

My standard order includes Domingo rojo, cassoulet or Marcella, corona, alubia blanco, and cranberry. I’ll generally throw in an outlier like Royal Corona, Christmas Lima, or yellow Indian woman. Most orders include hominy.

Speaking of which, I’m about in the notion for posole (which my spellcheck just converted to poodle; glad I saw that and changed it back).

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com