• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancho Gordo: Beans and More

Shel_B

42 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Just got my shipping confirmation. Not that I'm lacking for beans, but I was a little worried because my credit card was compromised recently so my card was cancelled and I just got the replacement yesterday.  I immediately updated my billing info but the charge for this shipment had already gone through and I was afraid it would be rejected.  Seems like it went through OK.  Phew!

Good! Sucks on the compromise. I think most vendors email you if there is a card issue esp for a regular.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, heidih said:

Good! Sucks on the compromise. I think most vendors email you if there is a card issue esp for a regular.

Yeah. That's what I was expecting but looks like Chase let it through with the old number.  At least I can stop carrying around a big wad of cash everywhere!  I used the self check-out at the grocery store and  must have looked like such a goof because I couldn't figure out where to put in the cash! 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

RG beans popped up in another topic today and in case anyone is thinking of ordering, you may notice that a lot of items are out of stock right now. 

Steve said some of the beans have been late coming in this year but they are planning releases of new and out-of-stock items on Nov 14 and Nov 28 so those might be good days to check. 

Also, on any out-of-stock item, you can enter your email and get an update when it's available,  I've done that and it works.

I'm hoping the pineapple vinegar will be back!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I bought some pineapple vinegar some time back. How do you use if, @blue_dolphin ?

I sub it in for other vinegars where something fruity would be nice. In vinaigrettes, marinades, salsas, etc. Very nice with fish or seafood in a ceviche or aguachile.

I was specifically looking for it the other day because RG mentioned a chile manzano relish and I wanted to try it.  It looked similar to the chile manzano salsa that's a component of this recipe on the website.  

I also like to use it like a shrub and topped off with sparkling water.  You can add a bit of honey or just the vinegar for something more tart. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2023 at 11:19 AM, blue_dolphin said:

>pineapple vinegar

Anybody have any luck making it from scratch? The couple times I did w/Pineapple scraps I wound up w/a ton of kahm yeast floating on top. No bueno.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 8:19 AM, blue_dolphin said:

I'm hoping the pineapple vinegar will be back!

Yay!  Got an email notification that the pineapple vinegar is back in stock and an order has been placed. Crimson popping corn, Massa Organics brown rice and a couple of those adorable little cazuelas got me into free shipping territory. 
Oh, and maybe some Royal Coronas. You can never have too many Royal Coronas!

• Like 4