• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with the Anova Precision Oven: What did you make?

JasonsCookingAdventures

Well damn. Held a smoked brisket in the APO for 24 hours and can't get rid of the smoke smell. Wiped it down with a vinegar/baking soda paste, 212F 100% steam for 15 minutes, wiped it down real good. Smoke smell inside is gone but steam coming out of vent stinks to hell of smoke. Any ideas?

8 minutes ago, FeChef said:

Well damn. Held a smoked brisket in the APO for 24 hours and can't get rid of the smoke smell. Wiped it down with a vinegar/baking soda paste, 212F 100% steam for 15 minutes, wiped it down real good. Smoke smell inside is gone but steam coming out of vent stinks to hell of smoke. Any ideas?

And why is this a problem?  Did you clean the drip tray?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, TdeV said:

Ooh! @FeChef can you provide a recipe?

I used the ultimate cheesecake recipe on the app and after it was done i toped it with lemon curd. One change i had to do was use almost 2x the unsalted butter it called for for the graham cracker crust as it was too dry to press and form in the springform pan.

The lemon curd recipe was here:

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/how-to-make-lemon-curd/

I used 2 yolks and one whole egg instead of the 4 yolks as it made a thicker curd.

33 minutes ago, kayb said:

Did it taste smoky?

No. I got the smell out of the inside oven with vinegar and baking soda paste. Its just wherever the steam goes before it vents out still smells like smoke. I think i will need to use some solution in a pan and crank the heat up so it boils and vents out, and hopefully that with get rid of the smell in the vents.

Deep fried a chicken in my 2.5 gallon Electric Turkey fryer. Used 20% evercrisp ( man does that stuff work ) I wonder how many hours i can hold it at 140F 10% humidity? I guess this would be the ultimate test for the product. ( well, maybe 100% humidity would ) That said, i wanted to use some steam because ive had fried chicken get too dry at holding temps without steam. Anyone have any experience with holding fried chicken with a steam oven?

Incase anyone is wondering, I cut up a 4lb bird into 9 pieces ( breast into 3, 2 drums, 2 thighs, and 2 whole wings folded. Also bread and fry the gizzard, and heart ( chefs prize )

Update: An hour in @ 10% humidity it went from extra extra crispy to close to "Original" i cut off the steam and will hold at 140F No steam for 2 more hours. And take pics of the results.

20221211_202756.jpg

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

4 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

@FeChef

Get a hold of yourself. This oven works well.

Take a little time.

Enjoy the not-smoky cheesecake, welcome to the club and report back when you've really tried it.

Im not sure where you are going with this post. I am testing functions of this oven. Where did i say this oven "doesn't" work well? 

• 2 weeks later...

Doing lump crab stuffed cod pinwheel rolls as a side dish to go with prime rib roast. Thinking of trying this muffin pan method. Uncharted territory with the APO. Most recipes call for 350F for 30 min. That just seems like overkill. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am using frozen Icelandic cod fillets which are usually thick which i plan to thaw and slice into 1/2 inch x 2 inch strips. Question is how long would i need to bring these up to 140F in the APO in sous vide mode with 100% steam? Keep in mind these will be stuffed with a lump crab meat stuffing. 

EDIT: I went with 425F for 15 minutes. They were a huge success. I have some reheating in the APO now.

20221226_210631.jpg

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Taco night. I prefer hard shell, but hate how they always break. Used the method where you put down some shredded cheese before baking to help prevent the shell from breaking, and if breaks/cracks the melted cheese helps hold it together.

Anyway, wondering if baking in the APO, then holding with some steam might produce a more pliable end result. Thoughts?

14 minutes ago, FeChef said:

Taco night. I prefer hard shell, but hate how they always break. Used the method where you put down some shredded cheese before baking to help prevent the shell from breaking, and if breaks/cracks the melted cheese helps hold it together.

Anyway, wondering if baking in the APO, then holding with some steam might produce a more pliable end result. Thoughts?

I use whole meal wraps. (but I am a taco heretic) Pop in the oven just to warm them. They will go and break if you leave them too long

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

24 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I use whole meal wraps. (but I am a taco heretic) Pop in the oven just to warm them. They will go and break if you leave them too long

They always break no matter what. I find if you pull them out too soon they are still undercooked and have that stale texture. I would assume maybe covering with a wet paper towel before stuffing might help, never tried it, but thinking a hit with a specific steam humidity might hold them. I assume places like taco bell must do this as theres no way they are heating them up individually.

1 hour ago, FeChef said:

They always break no matter what. I find if you pull them out too soon they are still undercooked and have that stale texture. I would assume maybe covering with a wet paper towel before stuffing might help, never tried it, but thinking a hit with a specific steam humidity might hold them. I assume places like taco bell must do this as theres no way they are heating them up individually.

oops my bad 🙁

When I was referring to wraps I wasn't referring to Taco shells but this type of wrap

https://helgas.com.au/products/traditional-wholemeal-wraps

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

13 minutes ago, Bernie said:

oops my bad 🙁

When I was referring to wraps I wasn't referring to Taco shells but this type of wrap

https://helgas.com.au/products/traditional-wholemeal-wraps

No worries mate, i am use to skim readers. That said 2 hours in 130F 100% steam still crisp, but pliable. That said, i can't judge how pliable yet, seems like APO doesn't do a great job at steam at low temps. It helps, but not as good as a standard steamer.

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Confused 1

@JoNorvelleWalker, if you were (hypothetically) to have purchased a 5.5 quart All Clad (Second quality) Dutch Oven with a tall lid (because there are enablers all over eGullet) which just happens to fit inside the APO, would you use the Anova or your regular oven to cook a cassoulet (with the lid on, to start)?