• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with the Anova Precision Oven: What did you make?

JasonsCookingAdventures

15 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I'd be interested in seeing a photo of the setup of each event, if you can manage it sometime, Jo.

Not much to see.  I use a Vollrath hotel pan with a rack insert.  The pan and roast are now out of the oven and I am preheating the oven to 250C to sear, while the rest of dinner cooks.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Not much to see.  I use a Vollrath hotel pan with a rack insert.  The pan and roast are now out of the oven and I am preheating the oven to 250C to sear, while the rest of dinner cooks.

At what temperature and heat setting did you sous vide the pork?  BYW I got my perforated pan today.  The oven looks to still be in B.C.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

At what temperature and heat setting did you sous vide the pork?  BYW I got my perforated pan today.  The oven looks to still be in B.C.

59C.  Next time I might even go a little lower.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Is the meat usually wrapped when using the sous vide setting?

No, no need.

Edit:  Think of the interior of the oven as a big sous vide bag.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker 

so interesting  , re : SV Anova-is 

w/o a bag , where does the Jus, during the SV'd time  go ?

In-the-Bag vac'd systems 

keep that , well , in the bag 

well

on the plate 

that Pork looked delicious 

esp the darker meat 

The exudate collects in the hotel pan (which currently is soaking in the sink).  Or on the bottom of the oven, depending.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 1:00 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No, no need.

Edit:  Think of the interior of the oven as a big sous vide bag.

I was at the Rational demo centre in Gatineau a couple of years back and they did a sous vide demo in one of the combi ovens.  The way they explained it was since the inside of the oven was sealed up and full of the steam it is considered a sterile environment like the sous vide bags.  As long as you don't open and close the door during the sous vide process it works great!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have tried the oven a few times now, and my limited experience has been good except for the time when I made pizza. Operator error was such that my freshly baked pizza decided to stick to my pizza stone and said pizza landed on the lower oven rack.  It wasn't pretty.

I do have a couple of questions:

Is there a guideline for how much steam to use and when?

Is there a guidelines for where the rack(s) should be when baking/roasting etc.?

I have been assuming that since this is a convection oven, the temperature needs to be adjusted downwards.  I have had mixed results with this.  Should I be adjusting it?  Only when using the rear fan only?

When do you use the oven with both top and bottom elements on?  The skinny little booklet that comes with it doesn't say.

I presume all baking, including pies and cookies are done with only the rear element on?

My only quibble so far with the oven is not the oven itself but with the instruction booklet.  I would have liked more/better instructions.

52 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have tried the oven a few times now, and my limited experience has been good except for the time when I made pizza. Operator error was such that my freshly baked pizza decided to stick to my pizza stone and said pizza landed on the lower oven rack.  It wasn't pretty.

Is there a guidelines for where the rack(s) should be when baking/roasting etc.?

I have been assuming that since this is a convection oven, the temperature needs to be adjusted downwards.  I have had mixed results with this.  Should I be adjusting it?  Only when using the rear fan only?

When do you use the oven with both top and bottom elements on?  The skinny little booklet that comes with it doesn't say.

I presume all baking, including pies and cookies are done with only the rear element on?

My only quibble so far with the oven is not the oven itself but with the instruction booklet.  I would have liked more/better instructions.

Do you have the app?  Plenty of guidance on steam and rack position.  For example one chocolate chip cookie recipe calls for rack position 3, 190.6C, rear heat, 10% steam.

11 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do you have the app?  Plenty of guidance on steam and rack position.  For example one chocolate chip cookie recipe calls for rack position 3, 190.6C, rear heat, 10% steam.

Thank you.  I am a dummy.

On 11/27/2022 at 9:13 AM, ElsieD said:

Dear Elsie,

I don't use the APO app (except to cook toast). Everything else I do from the front of the machine; that's because I wanted to understand how the machine works.

I keep notes of my cooks in a Diary (thanks @rotuts)

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/162176-cooking-diary-anova-precision-oven/

There is even a printable form in here which you can print out and keep notes for each type of dish you try.

Print out various guides to convection steam ovens (Cuisinart, Wolf) as well as CSO info from eGullet compiled by @Okanagancook. Read these when making something new. PM me if you want these pdf files.

Keep electronic notes of good ideas and good recipes. I use Evernote. I have quite a few recipes, so you could just ask for what you're curious about  . . . 😀   We could start a Greatest Hits collection!

Someone recently posted they did vegetables at 100% steam. I reheat bread at 10% steam. You're going to get tired of this, but "you'll start to work it out". I'm still learning (lots). Since my oven was replaced, it's now more efficient, so I use lower steam.

Start 2nd rack from the top, except when you specifically want browning.

The idea of adjusting downwards is an attempt to make a convection oven more translatable to a regular oven. The convection steam oven is totally different, so forget adjusting downwards, start a new scale just for this tool.

I mostly use the Rear convection, or Rear convection and Upper broiler. If you actually want browning, sometimes you need to turn the Rear convection off.

No idea. @JoNorvelleWalker might know.

Some useful links for the app:

For general browsing for things to cook in the oven, https://oven.anovaculinary.com/

Edited by TdeV
Clarity (log)
  • Like 1

Since @TdeV asked, the only thing I can possibly help with is baking bread.  However one of my upcoming projects is figuring how to bake cookies in the APO.  Previously all of my cookie baking has been in the big oven.

Now ask me about the joy of hard boiled eggs.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Since @TdeV asked, the only thing I can possibly help with is baking bread.  However one of my upcoming projects is figuring how to bake cookies in the APO.  Previously all of my cookie baking has been in the big oven.

Now ask me about the joy of hard boiled eggs.

What is the joy of hard boiled eggs?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

What is the joy of hard boiled eggs?

From last night's dinner...

IchiranRamen12022022.jpg

Egg cooked by the APO boiled egg recipe.  Finest boiled egg I have made.

• Thanks 2

@TdeV. Thank you so much for your detailed post.  I have  adequate copies of the diary forms and will be using them.  I am, of course, still figuring things out.  Last night i learned NOT to use the upper and lower heating elements whenmaking a chicken casserole dish that had stuffing on the top.  Stuffing was, ahem, slightly burnt.  I have saved the wolf  manual in bookmarks.

Tonight i am trying the sous vide function for the first time.  I needed a cooked pork tenderloin for nasi goreng and decided to sous vide the meat, rather than cooking it the usual way.

Thanks again for your help.

• Thanks 1

Weather was not kind today so i did a quick 1000F IR grill on a 2 inch ribeye and filet. They were small portions, not full size. My initial observation is once you reach 5 deg below target temp, drop oven temp 10 deg below target temp. I was shooting for 132F then hold for a few hours. I over shot to 134F which is perfectly fine, but just something to keep an eye on.

This was a "forward sear" The IT was around 80F after a 2 minute grill/sear on the 1000F IR grill. Just enough to get some good char grill marks. 

20221206_214133.jpg

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 3