• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with the Anova Precision Oven: What did you make?

JasonsCookingAdventures

3 hours ago, Gnulio said:

Can you share time and tempo?

For grains I am doing rinse then 4hr presoak then anywhere from 100-110C, 100% steam and about 40minutes (but I just taste every 10 mins after 30mins to determine donenness). I am using rear heating element for this one

For the koji I am wrapping inoculated grains in a pan in cheesecloth then starting at 30C and 100% RH with bottom heating element. After the koji starts exceeding 30C (creating its own heat) I turn the oven temp down to minimum, this is about 24hrs in. I am misting the cloth with fine spray of water when it dries out. If temps are going above 33 then I pull the koji out and finish on the countertop. The kojis take about 36hr

• Thanks 1

I left the door open on the APO so my koji could get some air and to prevent overheating because I wasn't able to monitor the koji while I was at work this afternoon.

I thought the light would automatically turn off but it did not. When I got back a few hrs later the top shelf of koji hit a concerning 40C while the bottom was a nice 31C.

Measuring the temp of the light at the top of the oven, it is 120C, enough to seriously overdo any low temp fermentation. Will note for next time.

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I started the sous vide function for a pork shoulder (in a bag, 165F, 20hrs). I dried the drip tray a couple times, including right before I went to bed. I woke up this morning to an overflowing drip tray and really wet counter. Has anyone else had this problem? BTW, the meat was great, I'm still futzing with the skin which I removed after cooking. I removed most of the fat from it, laid it flat on the pan that came with the oven, salted it and am leaving it in the refrigerator over night. Tomorrow I plan to broil it. 

I stick a microfiber towel on the bottom right side all the time. Wicks the water away and evaporates it. 

I also don’t put pork shoulder in a bag, I just use a deep roasting which someone here recommended. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B089N65N19/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Rickbern (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@cyalexa, I mostly sous vide fish in the Anova (so far) which I do bagless. (Otherwise I use the Joule. Because it's there).

The fish (or meat) is placed on a 1/4" pan on a tray. Then I place the regular size pan on the bottom of the oven (for overflow).

But these are for short cooks.

For 20 hours I would think that would accumulate LOTS of water, i.e. no good for sauce (maybe good for starting a pot of stock).

@TdeV, I got 24 ounces of liquid upon draining the bag. It turned into a firm gel once refrigerated. It's in the freezer and will likely be used like a stock. What ended up on my counter was just water overflowing from the collection tray. 

• Delicious 1

• 1 month later...

For some years (8 or 10), I've made pork shoulder roast in the sous vide at 133°F for 3 days.

However, my neighbour is a barbecue meister and does fabulous things with pork shoulder steak. It is seasoned with a dry rub. And I'm sure it is not cooked for long.

I have now purchased three 3/4" pork shoulder steaks.

Any idea how to quick-cook in the APO with some browning?

(I have no barbecue).

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

For some years (8 or 10), I've made pork shoulder roast in the sous vide at 133°F for 3 days.

However, my neighbour is a barbecue meister and does fabulous things with pork shoulder steak. It is seasoned with a dry rub. And I'm sure it is not cooked for long.

I have now purchased three 3/4" pork shoulder steaks.

Any idea how to quick-cook in the APO with some browning?

(I have no barbecue).

These are really meant for pan grilling or grilling on a grill. Or - does the APO broil?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

These are really meant for pan grilling or grilling on a grill. Or - does the APO broil?

Mitch, tonight I did salmon filet, slathered with homemade mayo, 2nd rack, Top and Rear (convection) elements, 400°F, 40% steam, for 8 minutes. Should have been 6 or 7 minutes.

I don't know much about pan grilling (beyond a hot hot pan, 30 seconds per side after sous vide).

Edited by TdeV
Punctuation (log)
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Mitch, tonight I did salmon filet, slathered with homemade mayo, 2nd rack, Top and Rear (convection) elements, 400°F, 40% steam, for 8 minutes. Should have been 6 or 7 minutes.

I don't know much about pan grilling (beyond a hot hot pan, 30 seconds per side after sous vide).

I do a lot of fish and chicken like this too; moderately hot oven and moderate amounts of steam. I often like it better than sous vide. I’ve learned with that much steam 350 -375 cooks about as fast (or faster!) than 425 in a dry oven. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Usually I sous vide pork shoulder roast at 133°F for 3 days.

My barbecue meister neighbour has delivered pork shoulder steaks  which have been done in minutes on the barbecue. I don't have a barbecue.

Scott Heimendinger at Anova website says this about doing 1 inch steak in the APO where beef at medium rare is measured at 124°F with the probe. Note: probe temp set 2°F lower than finish temp. And " Set the oven temperature 15°F (7°C) higher than the target temperature."

My pork shoulder steaks are approx 5/8inch (16mm) thick.

What temperature should I set the probe?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2022 at 2:02 PM, TdeV said:

Usually I sous vide pork shoulder roast at 133°F for 3 days.

My barbecue meister neighbour has delivered pork shoulder steaks  which have been done in minutes on the barbecue. I don't have a barbecue.

Scott Heimendinger at Anova website says this about doing 1 inch steak in the APO where beef at medium rare is measured at 124°F with the probe. Note: probe temp set 2°F lower than finish temp. And " Set the oven temperature 15°F (7°C) higher than the target temperature."

My pork shoulder steaks are approx 5/8inch (16mm) thick.

What temperature should I set the probe?

That sounded like some sort of high school algebra question!

What I can say is that medium rare is not 124℉ - it's more in the range of 130℉ to 135℉ - so a probe set to 128℉ or so should work nicely.

I don't like pork cooked that low - prefer it int the range of 140 - 145 for chops/steaks.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 1 month later...

I am loving the APO lately - using it a lot for steaming vegetables and making different types of koji.

Vegetables I am doing at 220F and 100% steam, pretty straightforward

Pearl barley I presoaked then steamed at 220F and 100% steam, I added a bit of water and had to mix part way through to ensure even and thorough cooking

Soybeans I presoaked then steamed with a bit of added water - the challenge is in finding out how much water to use without having enough left over

Koji I start at 30C and 100% RH, I cover the koji with a very thin towel then cover the tray with plastic wrap with holes in it, my pan is perforated. Half way through I turn the temp to minimum, remove the plastic wrap (the koji is still covered by a light towel) and I also bump down the humidity if needed. If you stick to standard grain depth then the temp will pretty well regulate itself due to the fan in the oven, this batch was a bit thick and I had to finish it at room temp to keep it cool. I have done rice and soybean koji in a similar fashion.

20220605_112851.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This one of my favourite meals from the APO: Fish and Chips with homemade mayonnaise. Cooked at 450°F with 80% steam. This time I had two large pans for the potatoes and sweet potatoes, plus one pan for the salmon. The topping came from a vacuum-sealed packet in the fridge made from nuts and ginger and . . .

IMG_4334cropped.thumb.jpg.4a38b22c3b441e73137584ffed002744.jpg

As you can see, one of the diners is very fond of homemade mayonnaise

IMG_4325cropped.thumb.jpg.e269aa98702bd6f0f495bab730d369db.jpg

Dessert was Hot Summer Spoon Cake, see here.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/26/2022 at 1:07 PM, TdeV said:

Have 1.5 dozen corn which I was going to parboil then cut from the cob. It has just occurred to me that this would be more efficiently done in the APO.

Settings? 100% steam at 213°F for how long?

I did it at 220©F for 12 minutes. Tasty, still has bite. Now I have to freeze it, unknown how texture will be when thawed.

• 1 month later...

One experiment that didn't work as well as I might have wished:

Last night, tired and cold, walking down the highway on my way home from work, I had a craving for a frozen chicken pot pie.  So I stopped at Shoprite.  The package directions for baking in a conventional oven call for one hour at 400F.  Always before I have baked frozen pot pies in my big kitchen oven.  The problem with using the big oven is that one must remove all the pots and pans and put them on the bed.

Would the Anova work?  I figured for a pie bottom heat would be best.  With no fan.  However the maximum temperature with bottom heat is 180C.  I could always bake for a longer time.  With top or rear heat the Anova heats right up.  With bottom heat, I found, it takes forever and a day.  After baking for an hour and a half the filling was cooked through, although the crust was only slightly browed and somewhat gummy.  Nevertheless no leftovers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Would the Anova work? 

Wow! Should it be that difficult to properly cook a frozen chicken pot pie?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Would the Anova work?  I figured for a pie bottom heat would be best.  With no fan.  However the maximum temperature with bottom heat is 180C.  I could always bake for a longer time.  With top or rear heat the Anova heats right up.  With bottom heat, I found, it takes forever and a day

Why no fan? And why choose only bottom heat? 

And more for my own curiosity, do you keep a temp probe inside the Anova?

My big wall oven is very slow to preheat without convection so I always use the fan to preheat and then it turn off if it’s contraindicated during the cook time. I do keep a temp probe in the oven so I can adjust if needed.  Is something like that that not possible with the Anova?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Why no fan? And why choose only bottom heat? 

And more for my own curiosity, do you keep a temp probe inside the Anova?

My big wall oven is very slow to preheat without convection so I always use the fan to preheat and then it turn off if it’s contraindicated during the cook time. I do keep a temp probe in the oven so I can adjust if needed.  Is something like that that not possible with the Anova?

Somehow I had the idea that a pie should be baked with bottom heat and not be baked with convection.  Not sure if I read that somewhere or if I dreamed it.

I don't keep a temp probe in the Anova because the APO includes three temperature probes internally.  Seems sort of redundant.  Not that I don't have a battery of probes from Thermoworks at my disposal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

56 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

At the moment I'm cooking a pork loin "sous vide" in the Anova.  When done I plan to sear the roast in the Anova using the same pan.  If this works it will be easier and less mess than cooking sous vide in a water bath and searing in a pan.

I'd be interested in seeing a photo of the setup of each event, if you can manage it sometime, Jo.

• Like 1