Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manhattan outdoor dining advice


Pan
 Share

Recommended Posts

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

 

My brother and sister-in-law will be in town next Friday (December 3), and I’ve been asked to find a place where we can dine outdoors with one set of cousins. I’m not sure how large the party will be yet, probably 6-7 people I believe, but my brother’s criteria for an acceptable setup are daunting:

 

(1) It has to be outdoors
(2) There have to be heaters
(3) It has to be partly open (not one of those “outdoor” structures that is really just an enclosed outbuilding with closed doors)
(4) The tables can’t be close together.

 

Of course, in addition to that, it has to be good (my brother is also a stickler for quality and good service), and money is somewhat of an object (we’re not going to be paying $150/person or something like that; I’d prefer to keep things at $80 or lower including a main and side, one of their cheapest glasses of wine, tax and tip, if possible, with a possibility if my girlfriend can come that we accomplish the same thing by sharing an app and an entree).

 

I was thinking of walking on 32nd St. to see how things are set up in Koreatown, but I haven’t had the chance lately. But basically, anyplace south of 96th St. or so could probably work, probably with a minor preference for a location south of 42nd St. and north of, like, Chambers St., East Side or West Side - so not too much geographic restriction, at least. I’ll operate on the assumption that my cousins would not consider anyplace outside of Manhattan, because they live in New Jersey and would have to get home after dinner. Another thing is that my brother is likely to refuse to order any salad or vegetable dish that is not made with organic vegetables, so a place that uses organic vegetables is a plus, too.

 

Any ideas anyone has would be gratefully received!

Michael aka "Pan"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pan said:

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

 

My brother and sister-in-law will be in town next Friday (December 3), and I’ve been asked to find a place where we can dine outdoors with one set of cousins. I’m not sure how large the party will be yet, probably 6-7 people I believe, but my brother’s criteria for an acceptable setup are daunting:

 

(1) It has to be outdoors
(2) There have to be heaters
(3) It has to be partly open (not one of those “outdoor” structures that is really just an enclosed outbuilding with closed doors)
(4) The tables can’t be close together.

 

Of course, in addition to that, it has to be good (my brother is also a stickler for quality and good service), and money is somewhat of an object (we’re not going to be paying $150/person or something like that; I’d prefer to keep things at $80 or lower including a main and side, one of their cheapest glasses of wine, tax and tip, if possible, with a possibility if my girlfriend can come that we accomplish the same thing by sharing an app and an entree).

 

I was thinking of walking on 32nd St. to see how things are set up in Koreatown, but I haven’t had the chance lately. But basically, anyplace south of 96th St. or so could probably work, probably with a minor preference for a location south of 42nd St. and north of, like, Chambers St., East Side or West Side - so not too much geographic restriction, at least. I’ll operate on the assumption that my cousins would not consider anyplace outside of Manhattan, because they live in New Jersey and would have to get home after dinner. Another thing is that my brother is likely to refuse to order any salad or vegetable dish that is not made with organic vegetables, so a place that uses organic vegetables is a plus, too.

 

Any ideas anyone has would be gratefully received!

What about a restaurant that has those individual igloo type things?  I don't know how they exchange the air in those things in between groups though...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/25/2021 at 8:31 AM, KennethT said:

What about a restaurant that has those individual igloo type things?  I don't know how they exchange the air in those things in between groups though...

 

@PanNot so sure that's a big issue anymore.  The main risk is from the ones in your party.  If covid is really a concern then getting tested before dining would be the important thing. 

Not that I'm saying I would.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

I've liked what you've shown from there

Yeah, they have a good outdoor setup which was my main reason for suggesting them…fully open to the sidewalk side, and good heaters as well.

 

very nice Austrian and German wines and beers, and within the budget mentioned, with some rather more unique dishes on the menu.

  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

Would a flask and a brown bag been overbudget?

 

Oh, come on!

Michael aka "Pan"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

 

@PanNot so sure that's a big issue anymore.  The main risk is from the ones in your party.  If covid is really a concern then getting tested before dining would be the important thing. 

Not that I'm saying I would.

I'm in no position to dictate to my brother on what he should be willing to do, but do note that there is a new variant of concern now.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Michael aka "Pan"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pan said:

I'm in no position to dictate to my brother on what he should be willing to do, but do note that there is a new variant of concern now.

I hope you have a fine time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like this menu and would suit your situation so well. Darn shame they don't have outdoor seating. Or maybe they do now. JoyLoveClub

A varied menu with small plates and tapas. Organic and vegan friendly. 

JoyLove just returned my e-mail. 

 

"Not yet. Our indoor dining is amazingly cozy. 
Do you want to make reservation? "
Warm regards, 
Jasmine 

 

It was difficult to please a group of friends before all this covid, then variant, mess. 

 

We met some friends a couple months ago and ended up just doing a walking food tour. Met on Mott street for brunch soup dumplings, then two slice joints, then LosTacos, High-line stroll, Sweetgreen, then Balthazar take-out for a cannelé. Katz's and Russ and Daughter, (they moved upstate 10 yrs ago so they wanted it all, lol)...took the pastrami and bagels home. Met at 11am and home after dark. They were not comfortable with any of the outdoor seating and I respect that. Gorgeous day and lots of people out. 

 

Has anyone tried the new GrandStreetPizza ?

 

We have out of town guests the weekend before x-mas so looking for reservations as well. Another link, HERE

Probably do a similar walking tour,. Maybe start at pier 17 SaamBar...patio menu snacks. Next day mid-town Central Park walk and snack. Rockefeller Center. Doubt they will be comfortable with most prices even if it is our treat. They would like MomofukuNoodleBar and the prices. I don't like a guest feeling uncomfortable and squirmy ordering from a higher priced menu much more than they are used to. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...