• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pour-Over for One: Equipment, Techniques, and Advice

JoNorvelleWalker

17 hours ago, lindag said:

Please tell us more.  Which coffee?  Where did you get it?  How did you brew it?, i.e., how long and at what ratio?

Hoping not to sully my poor pour-over...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/166107-turkish-coffee/

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I'm a big fan of the AeroPress. Makes a very good cup for one. Easy to clean up, unlike the french press. You just pop out the pressed puck of grounds--very tidy, no loose grounds to deal with. Also very portable and pretty much unbreakable, being that there's no glass involved. Decent coffee helps, of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

• 1 month later...

The Bodum went back.  I now have a V60 clone that is glass, not plastic.  So far so good.  Yes, I know, it will eventually get broken.  Coffee is no better than the Aspen.  No worse either.  The drip is slower than I expected.  Maybe I need a courser grind?  I got a new scale too.  Small and accurate.

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I think the Turkish coffee I made was better than any of my pour over attempts.  However until I can attain a suitable electric grinder, more Turkish coffee will have to wait.  My manual grinder can grind it, but I can't.

• Like 1

I just recently gave up my pour-over (which I used to steep with).

I'm now using the new Zojirushi Coffee Maker purchased at a discount from a new-to-me vendor.  Amazon did not have this particular model and since this retailer is located in California the shipping was fast to me.

I'm really liking the convenience compare to pour-over.

It has all the bells and whistle I require.

Still tinkering with the water to coffee ratio but I'm getting closer.

Just to be clear, there wasn't anything wrong with the our over coffee, I just wanted a simpler more hands-off method.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The Bodum went back.  I now have a V60 clone that is glass, not plastic. 

Breaking isn't the problem with glass.  Preheating is.  They are a pain to use compared to plastic.  Takes lots of extra hot water to get them to temperature so they don't make your coffee worse.

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Coffee is no better than the Aspen.  No worse either.  The drip is slower than I expected.  Maybe I need a courser grind?  I got a new scale too.  Small and accurate.

If it is too slow and the rest is right grind coarser.  You want the timing to be consistent.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This afternoon I enjoyed possibly the best cup of pour-over I've had.  I used the Aspen, which I really like.  Water temperature 96C.  Beans 15g.  Water 225g.  After rinsing the Aspen and the cup with hot water, method was simply to pour enough hot water in to cover the grounds, wait 30 seconds, and slowly add the rest of the water, then wait until the coffee all ran into the cup.

What was different was the grinder.  I had been using a TIMEMORE Chestnut C3 ESP Pro grinder.  My right wrist has been messed up.  No, not from coffee grinding, but from a desk too high at work.  Anyhow, coffee grinding had been inadvisable.  Grinding was torturous even before I hurt my wrist.

Since the last time I posted, I received a MAVO Wizard:

Unlike the C3, the Wizard has a much sturdier shaft, designed to accommodate a power drill.  I just needed a bit holder, which at the time I found on sale:

Grinding was (almost) easy.  And the coffee was good.

• Like 2