• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spraying Chocolate: Equipment, Materials, and Techniques

cakedecorator1968

5 hours ago, RockyMaraschino said:

Hi.  Has anyone built our bought a spray booth for airbrushing chocolates?  Would love a recommendation.

I tried a big box with a hole cut in the back and a large fan outside the box, but it didn't do much good.  There are videos online about building your own, but most deal with paint, not cocoa butter.  I was unhappy with every option I tried until I found CakeSafe's master spray booth.  It really comes close to eliminating cocoa butter in the air.  You do have to accept the necessity of replacing the first filter (there are several others inside the fan box) rather often, but if you buy a roll of filters and cut them yourself, the price is reduced.  I still wear a respirator and think it is necessary if you don't want to inhale cocoa butter.

• Thanks 1

I will be using my airbrush with colored cocoa butter for the first time this year for chocolates.  Each year I make something with chocolate and those are Christmas gifts for family and friends.  I'm all set except I'm looking for suggestions and recipes for the filling in my chocolates.  Is anyone willing to share their favorites and any tips for success?  I am skilled at tempering chocolate.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2022 at 1:20 PM, Jim D. said:

I tried a big box with a hole cut in the back and a large fan outside the box, but it didn't do much good.  There are videos online about building your own, but most deal with paint, not cocoa butter.  I was unhappy with every option I tried until I found CakeSafe's master spray booth.  It really comes close to eliminating cocoa butter in the air.  You do have to accept the necessity of replacing the first filter (there are several others inside the fan box) rather often, but if you buy a roll of filters and cut them yourself, the price is reduced.  I still wear a respirator and think it is necessary if you don't want to inhale cocoa butter.

At home, I always use a homemade spray booth - a large cardboard box with a hole cut in the top, an AC filter covering it and a box fan on top of it pulling air out.  It has always worked great for me.  I don't even use a mask now when I spray.   Just remember to change the filter every so often as it gets clogged up with cocoa butter.