• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spraying chocolate for decoration, no air spray gun?

Ratatata

Hi,

i ammaking a dessert recipe which include spraying a chocolate sesame oil mixture on top of a custard desert. it is a one time thing, indont want to buy expensive equipment.

any idea on ways i can do this without a big expense? is a mister an option? 

would rather not spend more than $25.

if you have ideas on delivering that flavor in a different way (maybe brushing it or doing a sesame chocolate shell?

the custard gets made in a silicone mold that gets frozen for a few hours.

Atomizer from a pottery place.   Even cheaper atomizer.

Of course they splatter more than they smoothly cover. 

A mister might work reasonably well - make sure it is really warm so there is a chance it will spray.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

When you atomize a chocolate and fat mixture onto a frozen item you get a flocked appearance - that is not going to happen with a brush and a shell isn't the same effect either. 

image.jpeg.263c2ff029f33ccf83b6788e0ef3f75a.jpeg

This is cocoa butter and dark chocolate at around 50º C sprayed onto a frozen rabbit - notice the velvet effect. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I get i wont get the flocking without spraying but I dont want to use a non food grade spray gun and a good grade one is quite pricey for one use.  I mostly want to get the sesame flavor. I think based on everyone 's feedback I will try to line the molds with lines of chocolate as a partial shell to harden a bit and then see if I can still try to flock the dessert with a mister. That way I get the sesame flavor with the shell, I dont do a full shell so the texture isnt completely compromised and if the mister is a big fail I dont have to worry!

8 hours ago, Ratatata said:

Thanks, I get i wont get the flocking without spraying but I dont want to use a non food grade spray gun and a good grade one is quite pricey for one use.  I mostly want to get the sesame flavor. I think based on everyone 's feedback I will try to line the molds with lines of chocolate as a partial shell to harden a bit and then see if I can still try to flock the dessert with a mister. That way I get the sesame flavor with the shell, I dont do a full shell so the texture isnt completely compromised and if the mister is a big fail I dont have to worry!

A lot of us started out with a little Badger airbrush from Michaels - using a 30% off coupon of course. I believe that Norman Love still uses them. Food grade - not sure!