• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manhattan outdoor dining advice

Pan

I'm so outa the loop on NYC dining (or any dining) but are Michael White's places still considered good/special? - Ai Fiori,  Osteria Morini, Marea, etc?  (I see on Grub street he's no longer w the group that owned them, Altamarea, oh well). 

Pan, nice to see your posts after so many years.....(the NY boards were so much fun in the early/mid 2000's) 

That wasn't chicken

I may see if my cousin wants to come over to my place, where I have an air filter that filters out Sars-COv2 viruses...Thanks.

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks, Eatmywords!  It's been a few years since I went to Ai Fiore, where I had one spectacular meal and two very good meals. I had a really tasty light dinner at Osteria Morini several years ago. I'll try to walk past them today and see what their outdoor setup is like. Marea was a little lost on me; I found it a little too sort of self-consciously corporate in atmosphere and I preferred the food at the others.

Michael aka "Pan"

2 hours ago, Pan said:

Thanks, Eatmywords!  It's been a few years since I went to Ai Fiore, where I had one spectacular meal and two very good meals. I had a really tasty light dinner at Osteria Morini several years ago. I'll try to walk past them today and see what their outdoor setup is like. Marea was a little lost on me; I found it a little too sort of self-consciously corporate in atmosphere and I preferred the food at the others.

You know, if you're gonna walk by Osteria Morini, you'll also find yourself on the same block as Jack's Wife Freda. While not Italian per se, they have something to make everyone happy, and if I recall from my last walk by, a nice outdoor setup. As @Steve R. noted, it worked quite well for him.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I walked past the Soho location of La Pecora Bianca yesterday (no time to deviate and walk down Lafayette St. to look at the other restaurants we've discussed above). They have a nice outdoor setup. How's the food, and are the mains large enough to be reasonably shareable (which cuts down on costs)?

Michael aka "Pan"