• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

21 minutes ago, dtremit said:

I don't think I've ever had "nice" olives in a glass jar that were as good as what I get from a deli-type source. My guess is the heat of processing kills something in the flavor.

(I'd love to be proved wrong; as the only olive eater in my house it'd be nice to be able to keep them in the pantry!)

I have enjoyed these vacuum packed shelf stabe ones from Trader Joes  https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Marinated-Olive-Lemon/dp/B013PV1U72

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Figuring I'd give Wild Fork a try, since a few of y'all like it.  Received my first order today (with $20 off and free shipping, not bad!). Arrived frozen solid, with a small few pieces of dry ice in an insulated bag inside another paper shopping bag.

1 lb. of Key West wild shrimp (10 - 15)

1 lb. sea scallops (10 - 15)

1 lb. Halibut filet skin-on

2 lbs. USDA CHOICE BLACK ANGUS BEEF THICK NY STRIP STEAK (2 steaks)

1/4 lb. oak smoked salmon

1/4 lb. Gravlax salmon

All in for $98 includes a $10 driver tip 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

25 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Figuring I'd give Wild Fork a try, since a few of y'all like it.  Received my first order today (with $20 off and free shipping, not bad!). Arrived frozen solid, with a small few pieces of dry ice in an insulated bag inside another paper shopping bag.

1/4 lb. Gravlax salmon

I like the Key West wild shrimp, but I'm an even bigger fan of the Argentian red shrimp.  I'm curious what you think of their smoked salmon and gravlax once you have them.  I'm assuming the smoked salmon is cold smoked, not hot smoked, right? Once you defrost them, how long do they recommend they'll keep in the refrigerator?  Although, to be honest, it's been so long since I've bought smoked salmon or gravlax that I don't know how how long those would last either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

I like the Key West wild shrimp, but I'm an even bigger fan of the Argentian red shrimp.  I'm curious what you think of their smoked salmon and gravlax once you have them.  I'm assuming the smoked salmon is cold smoked, not hot smoked, right? Once you defrost them, how long do they recommend they'll keep in the refrigerator?  Although, to be honest, it's been so long since I've bought smoked salmon or gravlax that I don't know how how long those would last either.

I like the wild caught gulf or Keys shrimp, simply because they don't fuck with them like they do with Argentinian shrimp. Here's the ingredients for the Argentinian shrimp:

Ingredients:  Shrimp, sodium-metabisulfate

Both of the salmons are cold-smoked; the "gravlax" is also a cold-smoked product that they simply add gravlax herbs and spices to.  They should last up to a week, with the amount of salt and smoke in them.

3 hours ago, lindag said:

I'll be quite interested in your take on the NY Steaks once you've had the opportunity to try them  I've had my eye on those for a while.

I will let you know; it might be a while.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Got around to trying the above smoked salmon this morning. On a toasted bialy, half with cream cheese, half butter.  It's pretty good. More acceptable than most pre-packaged smoked salmons, actually.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 2 weeks later...

When I decided to give Misfits another try, I was very happy--for a while. I'm discovering that the prices are higher than I can get locally. And it has been increasingly difficult to find items to order that aren't already sold out at 2 minutes past my order time. I didn't order for 3 weeks because I had some other things going on and by the time I could get online to order, there was nothing left.

I did order this week and was reasonably happy with what was still available. Or so I thought. My order arrived early yesterday morning with no ice pack so I'm glad I was home. Out of the 10 items I ordered, I got 4 of them. It is impossible to plan meals when it is this unpredictable. I'll find a better source somehow. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

27 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

When I decided to give Misfits another try, I was very happy--for a while. I'm discovering that the prices are higher than I can get locally. And it has been increasingly difficult to find items to order that aren't already sold out at 2 minutes past my order time. I didn't order for 3 weeks because I had some other things going on and by the time I could get online to order, there was nothing left.

I did order this week and was reasonably happy with what was still available. Or so I thought. My order arrived early yesterday morning with no ice pack so I'm glad I was home. Out of the 10 items I ordered, I got 4 of them. It is impossible to plan meals when it is this unpredictable. I'll find a better source somehow. 

I check back frequently during the time that my window for ordering is open.  It changes and I find that some things come back in stock.  My order that arrived yesterday was short 4-5 different items so you’re not alone.

• Like 1

Don't feel alone. I started using Insta-Cart again as my taxi guy was abroad. I shop at Ralphs (Kroger). There are 2 equi-distant from me - I know their products. The last 2 times it was a constant texting of "out of stock" on pretty ordinary stuff. Garlic?!? Guy shows up and I asked. He said nope - he even asked - they only had the 3 heads in a net bag. Huh! He didn't give me that option. And many shoppers tie the top of bag in a knot so you have to rip bag to extract your produce which has suffocated cuz it had recently been spritzed. Taxi driver just called me to say he is back. Phew.

• Like 2

I did not complain to Misfits, so was surprised to get this email this evening.

Hi DEBRA,
At Misfits Market, we do our best to bring you exactly what you order so you’re not left empty handed when it comes to feeding you and your family. Unfortunately, we ran into some bumps along the road this week that led to your order definitely being lighter than originally planned. We already removed the charge for these missed items. However, we wanted to do something extra to make it up to you!
To say sorry for this slip up, we’ve refunded your shipping fee of $5.99. You’ll see this amount returned back to the original payment method in the next 5-10 days.
Please know that we always do our best to prevent these snags from occurring, but when they do, we’ll do everything we can to make it right with you. We appreciate you sticking with us, and we’re excited to continue reimagining the food system with you!
- The Misfits Market Team

Maybe they are reading eGullet! 

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

1 hour ago, Maison Rustique said:

I did not complain to Misfits, so was surprised to get this email this evening.

Maybe they are reading eGullet! 

That's such good service.  I really think they do the best they can and I am so pleased most of the time.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 11:31 AM, weinoo said:

1/4 lb. Gravlax salmon

So far, I've found the shrimp to be nice quality. The scallops may not be the equal of the fresh ones I get at the farmer's market, but quite good. Both very convenient to pull out of the freezer, take 4 or 5 of each, defrost quickly in cold water, and use however. (In other words, the IQF works well here).

Both the smoked salmon and the Gravlax salmon are also nice.  

Haven't tried the halibut or steaks yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 3 months later...

I gave up all delivery services late last spring/early summer. Too many 3-5 day road trips planned and a couple 10 day trips. Gave up RanchGordo. Even let Costco membership go a couple years ago. No need if not using it. Misfits and WildFork do not send if no order is placed. No need to cancel those.

Just ordered misfits after many months. Just before Thanksgiving. 

Good holiday treats. Especially the lump crab for 22$ a pound. Very good. Excellent would be a fresh caught bushel of live crabs from my hometown on the Chesapeake. Pick myself or buy it picked at 45$lb lump. Jumbo, 55$

I hesitated to oder thinking it might be from Thailand. Did some research and the company is out of Texas. Atlantic Mexico blue crab. They supply mostly to restaurants. The only same containers I could find are sold in CentralMarket, Austin. Where I shopped when I lived there.

Seafood Watch lists Mexico blue swimmers as good.

Last week I made two nice 5oz crab cakes and made crab and shrimp shumai with the rest of the container. 

Just ordered another two pounds for the holidays. Lump is fine as I'll be making mini crab cake appetizers. I should get 18-20 minis out of a pound. 

Harbison is a treat...ordered more. And a few more packets of tamales. Dad will get his tamales in case I don't get around to making my own.

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 10.25.43 AM.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 5.25.41 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 9.08.48 AM.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I suspect that Misfits Market is having issues with hiring people in our area. (Lots of companies seem to have this issue.) My orders are getting progressively worse in terms of fulfillment. Today's order was missing 4 items (that I was charged for). And there was a dozen eggs in my order that I did not order. Whoever ordered eggs probably got my missing items! I have reported this and they issued a credit, but messed that up, too. I only got credit for 1 of the items. I have sent them a form to report this, but it seems to take them about a week to get back to me about anything. This takes way too much of my time each week to report all the issues. Not to mention my messed up menu planning when I don't get what I ordered.

Deb

Liberty, MO