• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

15 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@jimb0

https://www.supplementking.ca/catalog/product/view/id/4972/s/zeroodle-premium-shirataki-fettuccine-with-oat-fiber-400g-zeroodle012

I used to buy these a lot when we were dropping a few pounds.  The composition look to be the same as the ones you linked to.   I have never seen them at Costco though, have you?

zeroodle rebranded so they are probably identical unless they messed with the formula during the rebrand 

i’ve never looked for them at costco but i don’t really shop there often either. i just buy them from amazon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@jimb0

https://www.supplementking.ca/catalog/product/view/id/4972/s/zeroodle-premium-shirataki-fettuccine-with-oat-fiber-400g-zeroodle012

I used to buy these a lot when we were dropping a few pounds.  The composition look to be the same as the ones you linked to.   I have never seen them at Costco though, have you?

how was the texture compared to traditional wheat noodles?

20 hours ago, Vapre said:

they're not really anything alike. konjac noodles are a bit more chewy; some can be kind of rubbery. think of rice noodles and how stretchy they can be. it's not the same thing, but it's a lot closer. imo using them in place of wheat noodles leads to disappointment. they're not bad as rice noodle replacements in something that accompanies a fatty sauce, though.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Vapre said:

I agree with what @jimb0 said.  We used them in stir fries calling for noodles or anything saucy and for that they were fine.  For us when we were losing weight they were a great alternative to wheat pasta. They also make "rice" out of Konjac which we did not care for.  It was like eating little rubber pellets.

• Like 1

yeah they became a permanent part of my pantry when i stopped eating a bunch of carbs. i agree on the rice; it was...okay...in a sort of salad-y type situation, like with fresh veg, olives, oil, salt, and vinegar, etc., but i don't plan on buying them again. i tend to stick with the spaghetti analogs since they're sufficiently versatile for my use

34 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

yeah they became a permanent part of my pantry when i stopped eating a bunch of carbs. i agree on the rice; it was...okay...in a sort of salad-y type situation, like with fresh veg, olives, oil, salt, and vinegar, etc., but i don't plan on buying them again. i tend to stick with the spaghetti analogs since they're sufficiently versatile for my use

I ended up using fettuccine the most.

• 1 month later...

"Costco Just Added A Brand New Food Court Menu Item Here"

No, it's not a Polish Dog (which is no longer sold at Costco Food Courts).

No, it's not the BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich (which is no longer sold at Costco Food Courts).

No, it's not the Combo Pizza (which is no longer sold at Costco Food Courts during the Pandemic*).

*I am hoping it will return after the Pandemic is over but won't hold my breath.

A Crispy Chicken Sandwich has been spotted on the food court menu at a Costco in Canada!

Sadly, the sandwich has no pickles which makes me wonder what they're thinking.

I suppose you could always sneak over to the hot dog relish dispenser if you need that little extra zing on your chicken sandwich.¬¬

• Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver