• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chromedome

Are you ready for the newest super-apple?

It's a Honeycrisp hybrid, and will be marketed as the "Cosmic Crisp."

• Like 2

"The only questions that really matter are the ones you ask yourself."

Ursula K. Le Guin

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

This quote stood out for me:

"But as the industry increasingly bred for the appearance of perfection, the flesh of the apple beneath became more mushy and mealy."

It's not just the apple.  I was ecstatic when I found someone in the middle of the city selling his own tomatoes.  They taste like tomatoes should.  Unless you are buying heirloom tomatoes, even the tomatoes at the farmer's markets taste of not much.  Yesterday I stopped in at a store to buy some strawberries.  The nice juicy ones have given way to these huge flavorless bombs, tasting of nothing.  These berries were from Quebec,  not imports.   I used to eat a lot of apples growing up, but not anymore.  I look forward to trying these.

Thanks for the article.  Something to look forward to.

• Like 1

As I see it, the differences between Honeycrisp and Cosmic Crisp are mostly logistical. CC will be easier/lower cost to grow, and will store for longer without losing quality. Both excellent things, as far as that goes, but so far I've been underwhelmed by most of this new generation of branded apples (Pazzazz, Juici, and even Honeycrisp).

I do like Ambrosia, and have lucked into bags of them among the "Naturally Imperfect" produce at Superstore and No Frills. No Frills puts the 6-lb bag on for $4.97 pretty regularly, which is a smokin' deal for apples.

• Like 1

"The only questions that really matter are the ones you ask yourself."

Ursula K. Le Guin

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

As a farmer's kid, it was an early lesson that the beautiful but unripened produce had no flavor, while the imperfect but ripe was the most flavorful,  unfortunately, the vast purchasing public wants the aesthetic over the flavor dependent on eye appeal. 

I avoided the engineered Delicious apples all my life due to the fact that we were inundated with various mongrel apple trees in our immediate area, all of a different flavor, size and season.  I could never understand why the Delicious was king.  Emperor's new clothes.

Now, I'll pick up the Jazz apples and be perfectly happy with them.

• Like 2