• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Darienne

Electric can openers - 2019

Looked for a suitable topic to add on to, but couldn't find one.  Sorry.

It's 2019 and what are eGers buying for reliable electric can openers?  We've tossed two different ones over the years...just quit working way too soon...but are in great need of such a thing now.  I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and as I live in Ontario, and in an under-serviced area at that, have no chance of having surgery for a good long time now.   An electric can opener would be a boon.

Thanks. 

Are you wanting a hand-held model or wall-mount, or does it matter?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lindag said:

Are you wanting a hand-held model or wall-mount, or does it matter?

Hadn't thought about it.  We've always had a counter sitting type so that's all I was imagining.  I'd rather not have a wall-mount I guess.  

It looks like the options are mainly the countertop type at $40-ish and under (Hamilton Beach, Proctor-Silex, Cusinart etc) or the under-counter kind at a couple of hundred $$ and up. I honestly have no idea how they'd hold up, though presumably a $200 or $250 under-counter model would contain better parts than the countertop kind.

There are also the battery-operated "one-touch" kind, that you clap onto the can and push a button and watch them run around the lid. I've found they work poorly for anything other than entertaining cats and grandkids, but others have apparently had better luck than me and may be able to recommend a good brand.

A quick perusal of Walmart's website shows two or three different Hamilton Beach countertop models for under $30. I've always found Hamilton Beach to be a fairly good value in small kitchen electrics that don't need to be heavy-duty. At that price, if you use it five years and it conks out, you've gotten your money's worth, and go get another one.

Cuisinart makes one for under $40. I know nothing about them.