Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philips Avance Grill


Recommended Posts

It never would have occurred to me to try chicken thighs on the Philips, but since @rotuts asked I obliged:

 

Dinner03062019.png

 

 

I pulled the thigh (singular) at exactly 165 on my Fahrenheit reading Thermopen.  The skin was crisp and rather acrid.  The meat near the bone was raw.  For me thighs are all about the flesh and I prefer steam bake in the CSO at 300F for one hour,

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It never would have occurred to me to try chicken thighs on the Philips, but since @rotuts asked I obliged:

 

Dinner03062019.png

 

 

I pulled the thigh (singular) at exactly 165 on my Fahrenheit reading Thermopen.  The skin was crisp and rather acrid.  The meat near the bone was raw.  For me thighs are all about the flesh and I prefer steam bake in the CSO at 300F for one hour,

 

 

well, it looks pretty

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@JoNorvelleWalker

 

thank you.  makes the decision much easier for me.

 

are you able to get a fresh pice of Salmon ?   near the Head of the fish ( fat content much higher )

 

perhaps you don't care for salmon ?    

 

I take it it works at one temp :  full blast.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought chuck filet I had intended to prepare sous vide.  But I thought, why not?  I have a new toy:

 

Filet03082019.png

 

 

This was salted four hours in the refrigerator, grilled 10 minutes on the Philips, pulled at 54-55C, rested five minutes.  In the sous vide thread it was suggested I cook this inexpensive cut for a long amount of time.  On the contrary it is a bit fatty but remarkably tender steak and even my old teeth can chew it.  And did.

 

As usual with the Philips, no smoke, no mess.  Plus I learned something about my kitchen.  Apparently the electrical outlets on either side of the stove are on separate circuits!  I could bake my potato in the CSO at the same time as I grilled the steak.

 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:37 AM, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

 

thank you.  makes the decision much easier for me.

 

are you able to get a fresh pice of Salmon ?   near the Head of the fish ( fat content much higher )

 

perhaps you don't care for salmon ?    

 

I take it it works at one temp :  full blast.

 

I tried.  Prime Now had a sale.  By the time I got home from work the sale salmon was gone.  Besides, I like bluefish better:

 

Dinner03092019.png

 

 

Some of the best fish I have had.  No stick, no smoke, no mess.  Normally I would pass on fish skin.  I ate this all.  It was really very good.

 

I used to grill fish on my Farberware,  which like the Philips doesn't smoke.  But with the Farberware the skin sticks to the rack and makes a mess.

 

The Philips Avance has earned its keep.

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:37 AM, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

 

thank you.  makes the decision much easier for me.

 

are you able to get a fresh pice of Salmon ?   near the Head of the fish ( fat content much higher )

 

perhaps you don't care for salmon ?    

 

I take it it works at one temp :  full blast.

 

 

Dinner03232019.png

 

 

This worked well.  Perchance a bit more done than I would have liked but things happen fast.  Still possibly the best salmon fillet I have had.  I am more used to Atlantic salmon than to Pacific salmon.  There are about three quarters of a pound left to refine my grilling technique.

 

  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This site is getting expensive.  It was the kalbi in the first picture that decided it for me.  I have a butane grill from Sam's or maybe it was Costco that I had not been able to find for months.  I decided the best way to find it was to get a replacement.  BB& Beyond has the Philips Indoor Smokeless Grill  (with coupon) for $224. The coupon expired yesterday so I got one then. I have not tried it yet but now we can grill Korean food at the table again.  Of course as soon as I got home, I decided to get rid of several empty boxes in the basement and the butane grill was under them. I have also  been looking at toasters because of another thread.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

This site is getting expensive.  It was the kalbi in the first picture that decided it for me.  I have a butane grill from Sam's or maybe it was Costco that I had not been able to find for months.  I decided the best way to find it was to get a replacement.  BB& Beyond has the Philips Indoor Smokeless Grill  (with coupon) for $224. The coupon expired yesterday so I got one then. I have not tried it yet but now we can grill Korean food at the table again.  Of course as soon as I got home, I decided to get rid of several empty boxes in the basement and the butane grill was under them. I have also  been looking at toasters because of another thread.

 

 

I have to ask: How will you manage to see your food with such a bright light source at the table?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I used the grill today.  I also used the butane grill.  I used both in the kitchen instead of table top.  The butane grill was faster but smoky and did not leave grill marks. The fat did not drain away because of the arrangement I had set up. The Philips bottom tray and top grill cleaned up easy.  The insides below the grill plate will take a little more work.  The butane grill took no clean up. I just threw away the non stick foil. I used the griddle on my stove to keep all of them warm while the rest was cooking. 

20190331_174352-1.jpg

20190331_174524.jpg

20190331_174716.jpg

20190331_175541.jpg

20190331_181254.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

At Shoprite this evening I noticed a knock-off of the Philips for $79.  Whether the knock-off works as well as the Philips is another question.

 

My Philips continues to get good use.  Which is a minor pain because I don't have room to leave it in position.  It is my go-to for steak and fish and chops.  Night before last I grilled bluefish on the Philips.  Last night for variety I steam broiled the bluefish in the CSO.  CSO bluefish was OK but Philips bluefish was better.

 

Tonight's dinner better not be bluefish.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Thanks to 2 eGullet enablers, @Kerry Beal and @JoNorvelleWalker I came home with one of these today.  I thought I would start a thread on this item so we could write about our experiences and post them on the same thread.  I stopped and picked up some burgers and I will make them for supper tonight.  Don't want to get too fancy first time out.  I had read that certain parts were hard to clean so I bought a set of scrapers to help me.

20191102_174302.jpg

20191102_181412.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...