• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Chris Hennes

Cooking with Madhur Jaffrey's Vegetarian India

Cucumber Spears (p. 37)

Cucumber halves sprinkled with cumin and chili powder and then topped with a tarka. A delicious and refreshing first course.

Cucumber Spears p37.jpg

• Like 4

Flattened Rice with Tomatoes (p. 205)

This reminded me a bit of a Mexican style of serving rice: it's not terribly strongly flavored so the pops of tomato predominate, with a relatively subtle spice blend. Tomatoes are out of season here right now so I used canned since they get cooked anyway, but I think fresh would be better.

Flattened Rice with Tomatoes p205.jpg

• Like 3

Yogurt Raita with Tomatoes, Shallots, and Cucumbers (p. 334)

This is a very substantial raita, really nearly a salad in its own right. 

Yogurt Raita with Tomatoes, Shallots, and Cucumbers p334.jpg

• Like 5

Salad with Indian Style Bean Sprouts (p. 342)

When I read the recipe before making it I was somehow left with the impression that the bean sprouts made up a substantial portion of the salad, but in reality they play a bit part. This is really a cucumber salad with tomatoes and mung bean sprouts added. Obviously you could make it with whatever proportions suited your taste, but I simply made it as written.

Salad with Indian Style Bean Sprouts p342.jpg

• Like 2

Whole Moong and Masoor Cooked with Meat Seasonings (p. 149)

The dal here are cooked with cinnamon, bay, and cardamom. Then a sauce of onion, ginger, garlic, tomato puree, coriander, cumin, turmeric, chili powder, and garam masala is added before serving.

Whole Moong and Masoor Cooked with Meat Seasonings p149.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

Whole Moong and Masoor Cooked with Meat Seasonings (p. 149)

The dal here are cooked with cinnamon, bay, and cardamom. Then a sauce of onion, ginger, garlic, tomato puree, coriander, cumin, turmeric, chili powder, and garam masala is added before serving.

Whole Moong and Masoor Cooked with Meat Seasonings p149.jpg

I love Dahl.  Looks delicious.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)

Just now, Okanagancook said:

I love Dahl.  What is the kind of lentil are used?

Oh, sorry to be cavalier with the term here. No actual dal were harmed in the making of this dish, it uses only whole moong and masoor lentils.

South Indian Dal with Vegetables (p. 166)

Like many of her dal dishes, as written this one comes out quite thin -- in this case I left it as is and served it with some pancakes. For vegetables it's got yellow squash, green beans, and tomato, and the lentils are toovar dal. The spice mixture is fairly complex this time around and includes sambar powder, fenugreek seeds, turmeric, onion, asafetida, mustard seeds,  dried chiles, and curry leaves.

South Indian Dal with Vegetables (p. 166).jpg

• Like 4

Chickpea Flour and Tomato Pancakes (p. 248)

These chunky pancakes were delicious, plain or dipped in the night's dal. They require a couple of hours of lead time so they are only a weekend dish for me, but they're not hard to make. You make a chickpea flour batter with turmeric, chili powder, asafetida, and garam masala and let it sit for two hours. Then stir in chopped onion, green chili, and tomato. Fry them in a  bit of oil and serve immediately. 

Chickpea Flour and Tomato Pancakes (p. 248).jpg

• Like 6

It will be at least 3 weeks until I have access to a store that sells asafetida.  How important is this particular seasoning?  It seems to appear quite often in the recipes.

Those pancakes look particularly inviting.

25 minutes ago, Smithy said:

It will be at least 3 weeks until I have access to a store that sells asafetida.  How important is this particular seasoning?  It seems to appear quite often in the recipes.

Those pancakes look particularly inviting.

What?  No amazon prime in the desert?

http://amzn.com/B006POH22Y

This is the asafetida I have.

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

It's probably in 2/3 to 3/4 of the recipes. I've made some of these same recipes without it and they are still delicious, but its flavor is certainly present when you include it. So there's nothing wrong with omitting it, but when you get it you should make the dish again to see what changes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

Just a word to anyone unfamiliar with asafetida, don't let the odor of it scare you away.   Cooking with it transforms it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chimayo Joe said:

Just a word to anyone unfamiliar with asafetida, don't let the odor of it scare you away.   Cooking with it transforms it.

I agree.  

Though It is very pungent stuff.  I keep mine in a jar, in a ziplock bag, in another jar, in the garage.  

• Haha 6

Whole Mung Bean Pancakes (p. 250)

These pancakes are made from a batter of soaked, but uncooked, mung beans that are pureed in a blender along with a few spices. They are relatively neutral in flavor, so the book actually uses them as a base for several other variants on the theme. This is just the plain version, served with a spinach dish, rice, and a raita.

Whole Mung Bean Pancakes (p. 250).jpg

• Like 2

Spinach with Dill (p. 110)

The truth is that I love spinach in pretty much all its guises, but the various Indian spinach dishes are unquestionably my favorites and this one is no exception. It's got a lot of dill and onion in it, plus some fresh tomato added at the end of cooking. The usual spice mixture applies, of course! This one is also pretty heavy on the garlic.

Spinach with Dill (p. 110).jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Spinach with Dill (p. 110)

The truth is that I love spinach in pretty much all its guises, but the various Indian spinach dishes are unquestionably my favorites and this one is no exception. It's got a lot of dill and onion in it, plus some fresh tomato added at the end of cooking. The usual spice mixture applies, of course! This one is also pretty heavy on the garlic.

I'm 100% with you on the spinach. I'm surprised at dill, though. Not something I'd ever associated with Indian cuisine -  I would have thought it would be overwhelmed by the other spices - maybe that is why there is a lot of it. Interesting.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'm surprised at dill, though. Not something I'd ever associated with Indian cuisine

She's got several recipes in here that are quite dill heavy, and my local Indian grocer sells the stuff in large bundles, so some region or other must make quite a bit of use of it.

22 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

She's got several recipes in here that are quite dill heavy, and my local Indian grocer sells the stuff in large bundles, so some region or other must make quite a bit of use of it.

I live and learn.

I'm following along here with interest. The book is on my library queue. I'm on a very annoying restricted diet right now in which most legumes  and all wheat is off the table, so Asian food rules. Mysteriously chickpeas seem to be allowed, so those chickpea tomato pancakes have extra appeal.

I love the marriage of curry or turmeric and dill. I've seen recipes for  chana dal that often use dill. And sometimes I put both curry and dill in chicken salad; at first I thought it was like opposite ends of the earth, but I really like it. One of the most dramatic and delicious uses of turmeric and dill is in the Viet dish Cha Ca La Vong, a fish dish with rice noodles, heavy on both flavors.  

Fresh Indian Cheese in a Butter-Tomato Sauce (p. 298)

Some version of this dish exists at every US Indian restaurant I've ever eaten at, I think (though often it's the chicken version rather than the paneer). It's very rich, with quite a bit of butter and cream in it, so it's unusual for the dishes of this book. In some ways it's redolent of some Italian pasta dishes with their cream and tomato bases, but of course the added spices are pure India. It comes out very saucy, so I served it with quite a bit of rice. It was delicious.

Fresh Indian Cheese in a Butter-Tomato Sauce (p. 298).jpg

• Like 4

Fresh Cilantro and Yogurt Chutney (p. 307)

Cilantro, chiles, and yogurt, basically. I've put it on a bunch of different dals (and the paneer above, plus just plain rice), it's a nice accent point.

Fresh Cilantro and Yogurt Chutney (p. 307).jpg

• Like 2

Black-Eyed Peas with Cilantro and Green Chiles (p. 122)

This is a very cilantro-heavy dish, which for those of us who like cilantro is a great flavor. Obviously those who can't eat cilantro need not apply here, it's not like you can just leave it out. I made it pretty spicy, which I enjoyed.

Black-Eyed Peas with Cilantro and Green Chiles (p. 122).jpg

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)
  • Like 3

Carrot Raita (p. 333)

I think I own three books all with this raita in them -- it must be one of her favorites. It's a bit sweeter than the others due to the carrots, but not objectionably so. It's not my favorite raita, but it's worth eating.

Carrot Raita (p. 333).jpg

• Like 4

• Similar Content

• By highchef
      we're all used to the Wednesday/Sunday food sections of newspapers far and wide, national and local. I see corrections in the local or regional columns when called for, but there's never a way to critique the ones published on a national scale because the content is behind a paywall. I get the WSJ, but don't want to pay additional (I should get access to it all on line for free-the newspaper is not cheap) for their online edition. Very frustrating to try a recipe and have major problems with it and not be able to point out some serious issues. Specifically, the WSJ published a recipe from Dee Retalli, a pastry chef in London who's recipe is in the cookbook 'Rustic' by Jorge Fernandez and Rich Wells. 
      I have made this cake 3 times.
      First time was a total runover disaster, which I should have foreseen. This cakes calls for a 10" springform or if you don't have that, a 10" cast iron skillet. I went for the latter because that is what I had. Almond mixtures tend to really smoke when they run over, just so you know.
      Tried again later with a deeper than normal 9 " springform. Happened again. Think it has to do with the 2 teaspoons of baking powder and quick activation in a 350º oven.
      Invested in a 10" springform for '3rd times a charm' try. I was successful, but not because I followed the directions, rather I became a little obsessed with making this work. Checked my oven, followed with the recipe and eyed it warily. It came up to the brim...and stayed. 45 minutes later it was supposed to be done but while it was beautiful, it was a bowl of jello in the center. It was also browning at an alarming rate- the almond flour again? So I placed a sheet of tinfoil over it (beautiful top crust) and turned the oven down to 325º and carefully watched and tested for almost another hour. That's a big time difference. 
      I found the recipe on cooked.com - credited to the above authors and cookbook albeit in Euro style measures and temps. All seems the same, so what are the odds that the recipe was misprinted twice from 2 different media?
      All I can think of is somewhere down the line (in the cookbook itself?) the cook time and temp were off. The time on both reads 45 min. The recipe took at least 1hr and 45 minutes. methinks someone left out the hour...
      The temp. thing is a little more obvious. Celcius to farenheight 350ºF does not equal 180ºC, more like 176ºC. Over almost 2 hours, I think that could make the difference between cooked and burnt? Sooo, I turned it down when I saw how fast it was browning to 325.
      The cake stays in form while you pour the honey over it, then orange water, then 2(!!!) cups of sliced toasted almonds. I put 1 cup and there is no way another cup would have stayed on that cake. I cup settled up to almost an inch on a 10" cake...
      Has anyone else tried this recipe or have the cookbook? It's a wonderful cake if you correct the time and temp., But I'd be really curious to see if anyone followed it exactly as written with success?

• By Ling
      Hi everyone! In our last Iron Baker challenge, I was given the task of coming up with a modern take on the retro classic Pineapple Upside-down Cake. For those who missed it the first time around, a picture of my creation can be found here. Now that the first round is over, it's my pleasure to introduce gfron1 as the next baker who will be presented with the new challenge!
      gfron1 is a very talented baker who has posted beautiful dessert creations in our Dessert thread. I am a huge fan. Here is a look at what he can do!
      So, my challenge to gfron1 is this:
      Make a dessert containing an animal ingredient or product other than lard or bacon by October 10th.
      I think all of us will be waiting with bated breath for whatever innovative/scary/(and most importantly) tasty combinations you come up with!
      (Now we just gotta wait around until he notices this thread and accepts... )
      P.S. If you're vegetarian, I can change the challenge.
    • By Mjx
      I'm helping to prepare food for a party, and several of the guests are vegan, and, because I grew up in a vegetarian household, and a lot of the food we ate would have been suitable for vegans, too, I've been asked to come up with several suitable dishes.

The thing is, I'd like to make some dishes that are really appealing, rather than just 'pretty decent for a vegan dish'. I can think of several possibilities, but I'd love to hear other omnivores' experiences of vegan dishes that they really enjoyed, things they'd make themselves/again, or look forward to eating if they knew it was going to be served to them.

Thanks!
      M.
    • By Lisa Shock
      Years ago, when I visited Tokyo, I ate in a small but fascinating restaurant called 'It's Vegetable' which is now, unfortunately, closed. The chef was from Taiwan, and he made Buddhist vegetarian and vegan dishes that resembled meat. During my visit, several monks wearing robes stopped in to eat dinner. The dishes were pretty amazing. I understood some of them, like using seitan to mimic chicken in stir fry dishes, others used tofu products like yuba, but, others were complex and obviously difficult. One very notable dish we enjoyed was a large 'fish' fillet designed to serve several people. It had a 'skin' made of carefully layered 'scales' cut from nori and attached to the surface. Inside, the white 'flesh' flaked and tasted much like a mild fish. Anyway, apparently Buddhist fake meat meals are very popular in Taiwan and many places, cheap through to fine dining serve them. Yes, if I worked on it for a while, I could probably refine one or two dishes on my own, but, I am wondering if there's a Modernist Cuisine type cookbook for skillfully making these mock meats from scratch? (I have heard that some items are commercially made and available frozen there, much like soy-based burgers are in the US.) I am willing to try almost any offering, even if it's entirely in Chinese. And, I know how to use remailers to purchase regional items from the various local retailers worldwide who do not ship to the US.
    • By chefmd
      It's time to get excited about new cookbooks coming out this year.  Hopefully some will also appear on bargain thread.   Here is an article from Food and Wine that lists some of the spring offerings.
      http://www.foodandwine.com/news/cookbooks-spring-2018