• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetable/Produce Butchers?

natasha1270

Definition of butcher from Merriam-Webster.

1. 1a :  a person who slaughters animals or dresses their flesh b :  a dealer in meat

2. 2 :  one that kills ruthlessly or brutally

3. 3 :  one that bungles or botches

4. 4 :  a vendor especially on trains or in theaters

Does not say anything about vegetables.  Despite that, "vegetable butcher" is a good marketing, gives veggies higher standing in North America meat centered culture.  I love chopping vegetables and would never use these services but can easily see someone either hating it or having physical limitations and needs help doing it. 

I also think butchers need a lot more training cutting meat (especially if they deal with the whole animal) than someone who processes vegetables. 

I also buy the bag of pre-trimmed radishes from Walmart when they're available, mostly in summer here.

As far as celery goes, I've never figured out how to get from one use to the next without it's having gone by.

When I take it from the crisper for a second use it already seems too late.

2 hours ago, lindag said:

I also buy the bag of pre-trimmed radishes from Walmart when they're available, mostly in summer here.

As far as celery goes, I've never figured out how to get from one use to the next without it's having gone by.

When I come home from grocery shopping and I've bought celery, one of the first things I do is cut and trim the celery into usable stalks (my mom would keep the inner leaves for added flavor in stews and soups). I fill a small vertical pitcher with water and place the cut and trimmed stalks vertically (on end) in the water so they're completely covered. I store it in the refrigerator. Every 3 days, I take the pitcher out and change the water (the old water can be used to water your indoor/outdoor houseplants). The celery is always ready to use and seems to last longer then when I used a Tupperware celery crisper.Eventually, yes, the celery will only last so long before it gets "water-logged". But usually by then I've used it up.

Some folks here on eGullet swear by aluminum foil. They wrap their celery in it and store it in the veggie drawers of the refrigerator. I've never experimented with foil so I don't know how it compares to my method.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, lindag said:

Wrap your celery in foil.  Keeps for weeks that way.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Toliver said:

When I come home from grocery shopping and I've bought celery, one of the first things I do is cut and trim the celery into usable stalks (my mom would keep the inner leaves for added flavor in stews and soups).

Like your mom, I keep the leaves as well.  The most aromatic flavorful part of the stalk  IMO. I never see roots but would imagine they are very flavorful as well

I also don't trim it of fibers either.  I'll take fiber where I can get it 

On 2/9/2017 at 11:04 AM, scubadoo97 said:

I also don't trim it of fibers either.  I'll take fiber where I can get it 

Word.

I completely agree with you. Fiber is a good thing in my veggies or anywhere else I can get it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 2/8/2017 at 8:15 AM, natasha1270 said:

Is this just a New York thing or are vegetable butchers coming soon to a store near you? Apparently, there are a couple of stores in New York already where you bring your produce to the in store counter and they will prep it to your specifications. I think it's an interesting extension of pre-chopped produce that you already do see in stores. From what I've read there does seem to be a service charge.

http://www.thekitchn.com/whole-foods-new-feature-is-a-meal-prepper-s-dream-241298

Wegmans kinda does it already

Wawa Sizzli FTW!